Vivienne Westwood grey sheepskin topless trapper hat, fw 1994
About the Item
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Yves Saint Laurent black linen cap with extra long organza visor, ss 1991By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBYves Saint Laurent black linen fitted cap with extra long organza visor and buckle fastening. Spring-Summer 1991Category
1990s French Hats
- Balenciaga early 1960's black silk and mesh hat with floral embellishmentBy BalenciagaLocated in London, GB- Balenciaga silk and mesh hat designed by Cristóbal Balenciaga - Sheer net top surrounded by layers of black silk - Gathered by black silk floral embellish...Category
1960s French Hats
- Yves Saint Laurent black velvet saucer hat with orange taffeta ribbon, fw 1995By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBYves Saint Laurent black velvet saucer hat with orange silk taffeta ribbon fastening Fall-Winter 1995Category
1990s French Hats
- Vivienne Westwood black velvet and faux fur crown, fw 1987By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood black velvet crown with brown faux fur band. Harris Tweed, Fall-Winter 1987Category
1990s British Hats
- Vivienne Westwood veiled raffia boater hat, ss 1988By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood raffia boater hat ▪ Black grosgrain ribbon with bow ▪ Black fishnet veil ▪ Size Medium ▪ Spring-Summer 1988Category
1980s British Hats
- 1950 Christian Dior Chapeaux Black Feather Turban W/ Velvet Applique DetailsBy Christian DiorLocated in Gresham, OR1950s Christian Dior Chapeaux black feather tufted turban with velvet triangle applique details. Satin band and a tulle structured crown are co...Category
1950s French Hats
- Mr John Black Transitional Straw Cartwheel Sun Hat w Plaid Scarf Band – M, 1960sBy Mr John ClassicLocated in Tucson, AZA true transitional piece, this hat can take you from season to season thanks to its tight weave and dark color. The fixed scarf adds the bit of French flair for which the milliner was beloved. Straw basketweave sun hat with rolled brim trimmed in grosgrain ribbon; black and white scarf...Category
1960s American Hats
- Black Sequin Cocktail Hat with Cage Veil, 1950sLocated in Tucson, AZA knockout accessory for New Years Eve or a black tie event, this cocktail hat is as petite as a fascinator but packs the punch of a wide brim. Both glitzy and understated, it balances a glittering sequin skull cap with an alluring cage veil for an unforgettably sophisticated look. Rigid oval calot cap with pavé black sequins; attached tulle birdcage veil...Category
1950s Unknown Hats
- 1990s Gianni Versace Black and White Houndstooth Flat CapBy Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GBGianni Versace Black and White Houndstooth flat cap, 100% wool. Made in Italy A timeless addition to any outfit, this classic Gianni Versace flat cap exudes...Category
1990s Italian Hats
- Verheyen London Aurora Quilted Hood with TieBy Verheyen LondonLocated in London, GBVerheyen London Aurora Quilted Hood with Tie Handmade in Italy by expert artisans, this hood is made with 100% Nylon which is lightweight and water repellent. This luxury item is a...Category
2010s British Hoods
- Chanel Black Quilted Coco Neige Trapper Hat MBy ChanelLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Chanel offers a fashionable addition to your style repertoire with this coco neige trapper hat. It is covered in the diamond quilt and finished with a signature patch on the front.Category
2010s Italian Hats
Recently ViewedView All
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
This Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen Ensemble Is Part Zsa Zsa Gabor, Part ‘Blade Runner’
As Burton steps away from the brand, it’s a fitting time to revisit one of her visionary designs.