- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gucci Vintage Ostrich Print Cotton Scarf
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gucci Floral Bouquet ScarfBy GucciLocated in New York, NYGucci Floral Bouquet Scarf in silk twill. A series of similar bouquets in different tones are centered within a darker border. Excellent condition. 1990's Italy. 33" square.Category
1990s Italian Scarves
- Oversized Gucci Ivory Silk Jacquard MufflerBy GucciLocated in New York, NYElegant, Gucci Silk Jacquard Muffler with lovely hand tied fringe. Large and Gatsbyesque with conjoined "GG" Logos throughout ivory silk. 62" x 12". 1970's Italy. Excellent conditi...Category
1970s Italian Scarves
- Gucci Vintage Zebra Print Cotton ScarfBy GucciLocated in New York, NYGucci Vintage Zebra Print Cotton Scarf from the 1970's. Galloping zebra print on Art Deco style ground in soft cotton with burnt orange border. This original print is now featured in...Category
1970s Italian Scarves
- Elegant Gucci Ivory Silk Jacquard Logo ScarfBy GucciLocated in New York, NYElegant unisex Gucci Ivory Silk Jacquard Logo Scarf from the 1970's. Amazing Gucci's 70's Jet Set vibe with hand made silk fringe. Tuxedo ready. Conjoined "G" motifs throughout. 1970...Category
1970s Italian Scarves
- Gucci Strawberry Basket Print ScarfBy GucciLocated in New York, NYGucci Iconic Strawberry Print Scarf in silk twill from the 1980's. Print motifs include central strawberry basket with border of strawberries. 1980's Italy. 32" square.Category
1980s Italian Scarves
- Cartier Equestrian Silk Twill ScarfBy CartierLocated in New York, NYLarge silk twill scarf with bridles and gilt chain print from Cartier, Paris. Excellent codition. 1980s.Category
1990s French Scarves
- Gucci Bamboo Tassel Backpack Ostrich MediumBy GucciLocated in NY, NYCondition: Very good. Wear on base, creasing on exterior, straps and in interior, small marks in interior, scratches on hardware. Accessories: Dust Bag Measurements: Handle Drop 2", ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Backpacks
- 1980s Gucci Caramel Ostrich Shoulder Bag Twist Lock ClosureBy GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a gorgeous ostrich leather Gucci handle bag, from the 1980s. This carmel/tan-colored bag looks like it is right out of a scene of 'The House of Gucci' with Lady...Category
1980s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$1,725Free Shipping
- Gucci Sterling Silver and Wood Bracelet WatchBy GucciLocated in Chicago, ILCirca 1970s Gucci Wrist watch, 26 X 19 MM Sterling Silver 2 piece Case. Mechanical, manual wind movement. White Dial with black Arabic numerals. 5/8 inch wide Sterling Silver and Woo...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Wrist WatchesMaterials
Sterling Silver$895Free Shipping
- Gucci Gold and Silver Sun Face EarringsBy GucciLocated in Darnestown, MDSun face earrings by Gucci. Sterling faces are surrounded by a ring of gold. French backs - both posts and clips. Measure 1 1/8" in diameter. Irregularity in color of the gold is a r...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold, Sterling Silver$1,075Free Shipping
- New Gucci Pink Butterflies Silk ScarfBy GucciLocated in West Hollywood, CAGucci new light pink butterflies scarf 100% silk 35" x 35"Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Scarves
- Gucci Yellow Fruit Motif Silk ScarfBy GucciLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Gucci Yellow Fruit Motif Silk Scarf is in pristine condition. Glorious golden yellow square silk scarf is patterned with all our favorite fruits in varying colors. P...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Scarves
- Gucci Scarf signed by Vittorio Accornero 1960´s-1970´sBy Gucci, Vittorio AccorneroLocated in Bilbao, ESItalian illustrator Vittorio Accornero designed some iconic scarves for Gucci in the late 60s and 70s, and the label’s throwing back to those designs in its latest collection. The us...Category
1960s Italian Scarves
- Gucci Spighe Wheat and Poppy Flowers signed by Vittorio Acornero 1960´s-1970´sBy Gucci, Vittorio AccorneroLocated in Bilbao, ESEarly 1970's Scarf Spighe Wheat printed on silk, gorgeous bouquet of poppy flowers and wheat coming out of one corner and around it. illustrator Vittorio Accornero designed some ic...Category
1960s Italian Scarves$510 Sale Price20% Off
- 1980s Gucci Nautical Print Square Cotton ScarfBy GucciLocated in London, GBGucci Nautical print square scarf. blue, red gold detailing on white background, 1005 cotton, Made in Italy Condition: 1980s, very good vintage Dimensions: 60x60cmCategory
1980s Italian Babushka
- 1990s Gucci Geometric Silk Square ScarfBy GucciLocated in London, GBGUCCI Silk Scarf Square Geometric pint in Brown/ Black/ Beige color Condition: very good, 1990s. slight sign of wear Dimensions: 60x60cm - 23.6x23.6inCategory
1990s Italian Babushka
- 1980s Gucci Large Gucci Blue Stripe Naval Knots Wrap Pareo SarongBy GucciLocated in London, GBLarge Gucci pareo sarong wrap, blue white stripes, gold naval knots, 100% cotton, Made in Italy Condition: vintage, excellent, 1980s Measurements: approx. 42" x 62"Category
1980s Italian Beachwear$504Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery