- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 1998 Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Silk Lace Trim Camisole Blouse
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR38 / US6 (EU)Bust: 31 in (78.74 cm)Waist: 32 in (81.28 cm)Shoulder to Hem: 22 in (55.88 cm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388214734402
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- 1950s Christian Dior Boutique Vintage Metallic Brocade Bustier Top NumberedBy Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a copper colored metallic Christian Dior Boutique bustier bodice top, designed by, the brand's founder and namesake, Christian Dior. This piece is constructed o...Category
1950s French Blouses and Tops$1,800 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2001 Christian Dior by John Galliano Bouclé Knit Mock Neck Sleeveless TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful brown boucle Christian Dior Boutique sleeveless mockneck sweater, designed by John Galliano. From the Fall/Winter 2001, this Y2K sweater features bo...Category
Early 2000s Italian Sleeveless Shirts$956 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 2002 Christian Dior by John Galliano Beaded Sheer Striped Knit Tank TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a multicolor-striped Christian Dior tank top, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2002 collection, this ...Category
Early 2000s French Blouses and Tops$716 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1997 Christian Dior by John Galliano Lace Trim Satin Camisole Tank TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous silk lace Christian Dior Boutique tank top, designed by John Galliano. From the Fall/Winter 1997 collection, this top debuted on the season's runway....Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops$1,036 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 2001 Christian Dior by John Galliano Zip Logo Safety Pin T-Shirt TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a grey zipper Christian Dior Boutique t-shirt, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2001 collection, a similar shirt debuted on the season's runway...Category
Early 2000s Italian T-Shirts$1,036 Sale Price35% Off
- NWT S/S 2004 Christian Dior by John Galliano Blue 'Surf Chick' Lace Tank TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a bright blue Christian Dior sleeveless top, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2004 collection, this 'Dior Surf Chick' top, features a bold flor...Category
Early 2000s European Tank Tops
- Christian Dior by John Galliano grey silk trained evening dress, fw 2004By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB• Christian Dior by John Galliano • Bias cut evening dress • Cowl neckline • Front leg slit • Criss-cross belt with palladium Dior buckle • Fabric cov...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- John Galliano pale pink satin backed crepe trained evening slip dress, ss 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano satin backed crepe evening slip dress ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Cowl neckline ▪ Trained skirt ▪ Multiple satin panels form a geometric...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage F/W 1997 Christian Dior by John Galliano Peach Satin Lace Bows Cami TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 1997 Christian Dior by John Galliano Please contact us for more images or information CONDITION: Good-no flaws FABRIC: 100% silk COUNTRY: France SIZE: 38 MEASUREM...Category
1990s French Camisoles and Shell Tops
- Christian Dior by John Galliano brown and cream suede dress and jacket, fw 1999By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior brown suede maxi dress and blazer jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Laser-cut design ▪ Cream lace trim ▪ Silk lining ▪ FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral embroidered silk evening dress, fw 1997By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Important and rare Christian Dior mint silk hand-embroidered evening dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano for his first RTW collection at Dior ▪ Floral embroidery inspired by antique Chinese shawls...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior sage silk jacquard evening dress and jacket set, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior sage evening dress and jacket set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Floral silk jacquard ▪ Maxi dress with mermaid hem ▪ Cowl neckline ▪ Spaghetti straps ▪ Mid-Lengt...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano floral silk double-layered slip dress, ss 2005By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior silk chiffon double-layered slip dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Edged with lace and nylon mesh ▪ Floral printed undress with a shorter nude dress layered on to...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dior by John Galliano Fall 1998 RTW Tweed Dress with Lace TrimBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZSize FR 36, fits like XS/S. Please rely on the measurements: Armpit to armpit - 39 cm (15,5 in) Waist - 33 cm (13 in) Hips - up to 48 cm (19 in) Length from a shoulder - 97 cm (38 i...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Black Silver Rhinestone Beaded Logo Shirt TopBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CAFashionable vintage late 1990s CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO black rhinestone short sleeve logo top! Features hundreds of hand embossed silver rhinestones with the CD monogram thro...Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Black and White Novelty Playing Cards Cami TopBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in San Diego, CACollectible CHRISTIAN DIOR by JOHN GALLIANO vintage black and white novelty print playing cards and dominos semi sheer mesh camisole top! Features lots of stretch, and adjustable str...Category
Early 2000s Italian Camisoles and Shell Tops
- Christian Dior by John Galliano burgundy pleated silk blouse, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior burgundy pleated blouse ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Mandarin collar ▪ Cheongsam style ▪ Mariano Fortuny style pleats ▪ Gold lamé fastenings ▪ Beaded rope trim...Category
1990s French Blouses
- Christian Dior White and Gold Silk Sleeveless TopBy Christian DiorLocated in Geneva, CHThis beautiful pre-owned top from Christian Dior features a metallic multicolor horizontal wave like pattern and a round neckline. Fabric: 40% viscose, 31% cotton, 14% silk, 8% cupr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Blouses
- 1980s Christian Dior gold houndstooth cocktail blouse topBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBCHRISTIAN DIOR golden houndstooth cocktail blouse top, 3/4 Sleeve, V-Neckline, beautiful wrap around which can be tied at front or back, 100% polyester Size: no marked size but wo...Category
1980s French Blouses$530Free Shipping
- Christian Dior Silk Striped Blouse with Volant Detail by Marc Bohan 1970sBy Christian DiorLocated in AMSTERDAM, NLStriped silk Christian Dior blouse from the seventies, created under then Dior designer Marc Bohan. The volant on the front is delicately placed so that the stripe print continue sea...Category
1970s Italian Blouses
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Frem Røjle, Hans OlsenLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket, fw 1997By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide cropped sleeves appearing as a cape from the b...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Mick Jagger with a Guitar, Black & White Photography, Fine Art Print, SignedBy Dominique TarléLocated in Los Angeles, CA31.5 x 23.6 in (50 x 60 cm) Silver Gelatin Print Edition of 50 Price does not include tax.Category
1970s Black and White PhotographyMaterials
- Gio Ponti F.A. 33 Medium Mirror in Black BrassBy Gio Ponti, GubiLocated in Glendale, CAGio Ponti F.A. 33 medium mirror in black brass. The F.A. 33 Mirror was originally designed by Gio Ponti in 1933 for Fontana Arte, the period’s most prominent lamp, glass, and mirror ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
Brass$1,499 / item
- 19th Century Chinese Cloisonné Fu DogsLocated in Houston, TXAn exceptional palatial quality pair of 19th century Chinese cloisonné Fu dogs featuring gold gilding over copper. Chinese cloiso...Category
Antique 1890s Chinese Chinese Export MetalworkMaterials
Copper, Enamel$85,000 / set
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery