- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1980s CHRISTIAN DIOR Russian Sable Fur Coat Full Length Vintage
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 45 in (114.3 cm)Bust: 40 in (101.6 cm)Hip: 44 in (111.76 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Lakewood, CO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2629218199942
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Lakewood, CO
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Lynx Belly Fur Coat Full Length Somper Couture Beverly HillsLocated in Lakewood, COLynx Belly fur coats are the most expensive and luxurious furs that the fashion industry can offer. Sensual, feminine and seductive is the look you will most certainly achieve by wearing one. If you wish a garment that can help to boost the exciting part of yourself, then you have found the ideal one. To create haute couture lynx belly fur coats, like this one, requires special work and great craftsmanship experience by a master furrier. Amazing Lynx Belly coat and ready to wear for the upcoming seasons. There is no Size tag, so please use the measurements below to make sure the garment will fit your needs. MEASUREMENTS: Length: 46" Sweep: 53" Hips: 44" Sleeve Length (measured from shoulder seam to sleeve hem): 22" Shoulder to Shoulder: 17.5" across Arm Pit to Arm Pit: 21" (2) Hook/Eyes (2) Exterior Pockets French Hem Made by Somper of Beverly Hills Monogram on inside lining from previous owner. NOTE: Monogram could easily be removed by a seamstress and a new one added. Original Price Tag: $220,000 Condition is beautiful; soft, supple and fluffy with very minor discoloration from oxidation which is normal for light colored furs...Category
Early 2000s American Coats$44,800 Sale Price22% Off
- Bogner Goan Thylmann Ski Coat Jacket Brown Multi-colored Embroidery Faux Fur M-LBy BognerLocated in Lakewood, COFantastic Bogner, Goan Thylmann Ski / Snowboard Jacket Coat. Beautiful and vibrant multi-colored embroidery flowers with raised faux fur accents. Brown polyester shell looks like su...Category
Early 2000s American Hooded Jackets$482 Sale Price30% Off
- LOUIS FERAUD 1980s Strapless Cocktail Dress Black Silk Taffetta Ruffles Sz 8By Louis FeraudLocated in Lakewood, COGorgeous Louis Feraud strapless black dress with elegant, tiered ruffles (5 tiers) ending in a straight skirt. Bodice lining has a boned cons...Category
1980s German Cocktail Dresses$240 Sale Price34% Off
- 1990s ESCADA Couture Jacket Black & White Beaded Sequin Lace Sz 36By EscadaLocated in Lakewood, COStunning ESCADA Couture Black Jacket which has gorgeous beading, sequin and lace. Measurements: Size 36 20" Length 15.5" Shoulder to Shoulder 25.5" Shoulder to Cuff 17" Arm Pit to Arm Pit (5) Hook/Eye for closure Jacket is in excellent condition, however, from what I can see its missing (6) tiny individual seed beads here and there. The missing beads do not ruin the design of the jacket. Please be sure to check our storefront for more fashions as we have both Vintage and Contemporary items. We are new to 1stDibs and will be working hard to add stunning collections throughout the year. Don't forget you can pay for our items with Bitcoin using Paypal as your payment method...Category
1990s German Jackets$582 Sale Price34% Off
- LILLIE RUBIN Black Cocktail Halter Dress Sexy Size 8 Rhinestones Silk & VelvetBy Lillie RubinLocated in Lakewood, COKnock out gorgeous 1990s Lillie Rubin black cocktail halter dress in silk taffeta and velvet. The very low back and large bow detailed with rhinestones gives this dress a sexy, but ...Category
1990s Evening Dresses$277 Sale Price29% Off
- ESCADA 3-piece Set MINK Trim Black Blazer Skirt Tank Top Jacket Sz 36/ US6By EscadaLocated in Lakewood, COVintage ESCADA Black Blazer, Skirt and Tank Top with amazing Black MINK trim detail on the blazer and top. Gorgeous classic design and made in...Category
Early 2000s German Suits, Outfits and Ensembles$253 Sale Price34% Off
- Louis Féraud Barguzin Russian Sable Fur Coat (Size 8-M)By Louis FeraudLocated in Montreal, QuebecDESCRIPTION : The most luxurious Louis Féraud baruzin Russian Sable fur coat with a royal style portrait collar and long sleeves Made in Fr...Category
Early 2000s French Coats
- Supreme Opulent Russian Sable Fur Stroller Length CoatLocated in Tustin, CAShone as the ultimate symbol of status and elegance, Russian Sable is considered to be the most coveted fur in the world. This Russian sable fur coat...Category
Late 20th Century American Opera Coats$9,900 Sale Price34% Off
- Amazing Russian Sable Coat, Double Breasted, 7/8 Coat with Fold Over CuffLocated in Buchanan, MIA Russian sable coat. Double breasted 7/8 sable coat with fold over cuff and a cape collar that can be worn closed around the neck or lower around the bust line. Labeled "Elan Furs"...Category
Late 20th Century Russian Swing Coats
- UNWORN Versace 2003 Nude Silk Georgette Lace Up Gown Dress 40 seen on BellaBy VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous nude evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Fall 2003/2004 Collection One of the most famous Versace dresses ever created by Versace - worn by topmodels, ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Ball Gowns
- Fendi Mink Fur Full Length Coat (Size 16 - L)By FendiLocated in Montreal, QuebecFendi mink fur Full Length Coat (Size 16 - L) in excellent condition When it comes to fur, Fendi is the ultimate reference in quality and style. This st...Category
1980s Italian Coats
- Brand New Dennis Basso Ermine Sable Fur Coat (Size 6-8/S)By Dennis BassoLocated in Montreal, QuebecBrand New with tags luxurious unique Dennis Basso Ermine sable fur coat with portrait collar cuffed sleeves Made in USA MEASUREMENTS : SIZE: 6-8 LENGTH: 41" BACK ACROSS: 20 " ...Category
2010s American Coats
- Maximilian Vintage Russian Sable Mink Fur CapeBy MaximilianLocated in Portland, ORThis is a gorgeous vintage Maximilian New York Russian sable mink fur cape. It's harder to find mink like this in a cape and this one is exceptionally luxurious. The coat is fully lined in silk and has slits for the arms. The original owner's initials are embroidered into the lining. Maximilian fur...Category
1960s North American Capes
- Dennis Basso Sable Fur CoatBy Dennis BassoLocated in London, GBTruly exceptional investment piece. Golden and beige fur coat. Press stud closure. Two front pockets. Composition : 100% sable fur, lining 100% silk....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Coats$43,459
- Unused Christian Dior Sable fur coat size 8By Christian DiorLocated in Montreal, QuebecPRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Unused Christian Dior Sable fur coat size 8 This beautiful rare find is made of full skins fluffy sable, always kept in fr...Category
2010s French Coats
- Brand New Russian Sable Fur Blanket (Queen Size 90"x100")By CUSTOM MADELocated in Montreal, QuebecBrand new Russian Sable fur blanket with a sheared mink lining for the most luxurious Size: Queen 90"x100" Made in Canada with the best qualit...Category
2010s Canadian Pillows and Throws
- Christian dior / Holt renfrew mink fur coat size 6By Christian Dior, Holt RenfrewLocated in Montreal, QuebecDESCRIPTION : 284 CHRISTIAN DIOR MINK FUR COAT SIZE 6: Notch collar, straight sleeves, supple skins, beautiful fresh fur, european german clasps fo...Category
Early 2000s French Coats
- Christian Dior black men's topcoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, NLChristian Dior topcoat from the collection" Monsieur" with removable wool check lining with a zipper , belted and with raglan sleeves. The leather buckle of the belt is worn color: ...Category
1980s French Coats and Outerwear
- 2005 Christian Dior by John Galliano Red Silk-Velvet Double Breasted JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA breathtaking and hard-to-find Christian Dior ruby red textured silk velvet jacket dating back to John Galliano's 2005 spring-summer collection. John Galliano is widely considered one of the most innovative and influential fashion designers of the early twenty-first century. He mingled his references in often surprising juxtapositions to create extravagant yet intricately engineered and meticulously tailored clothes. This documented garment is everything you look for in Galliano era Dior. The fabric itself is a masterpiece; the highest quality mid-weight textured silk velvet that feels like heaven to the touch. I love the lace trimmed over-sized collar and lean. long sleeves. The flattering nipped-waist cut with double breasted logo buttons really brings this jacket to another level. You can definitely wear this show stopper for any special event or dress it down for a gorgeous causal look. We added many detail pictures so one can appreciate the masterful achievement. Measurements Marked a EU size 36 Bust: 33-34 inches Waist: 26 inches Sleeve Length: 24 inches Total Length: 23 inches Shoulder to Shoulder: 14.25 inches This 2005 Christian Dior by John Galliano red velvet...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- 1970s CHRISTIAN DIOR Pink Mosaic Checkered Print Silk jacquared CoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1970s Christian Dior Light Pink mosaic checkered print silk jacquard coat. 2 oversized pockets and silk belt. Coat lined in silk. Size: Mediu...Category
1970s French Coats and Outerwear$1,160 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 2006 Christian Dior John Galliano Bronze Leather Pirate Cut-Out JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good (no flaws on the outside) label has light discoloration from an attempt to remove the store marking put on the labe...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- F/W 2007 Christian Dior John Galliano Runway Hot Pink Python 60's Short JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: F/W 2007 Christian Dior by John Galliano- shown on the runway in green CONDITION: Good- light wear on edges, extremely minor- see last 2 photos FABRIC: Python & Silk COUNTR...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery