View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Black Sateen Button Front Coat 1970sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a classic vintage Yves Saint Laurent black cotton sateen coat featuring a fitted body with a slightly a-line sk...Category
1970s French Coats and Outerwear
- Vintage Alexander McQueen Military Fox Fur Hood Bomber 2007By Alexander McQueenLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Alexander McQueen metallic military green corseted parka with auburn fox fur trim. Runway piece from the Autumn/Winter 2007 Collection. Excel...Category
Early 2000s Coats and Outerwear
- Yves Saint Laurent YSL Caramel Brown Wool Cape Coat with Hood and FringeBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Yves Saint Laurent caramel brown wool cape coat featuring an oversized hood trimmed with navy blue cotton fringe, attached capelet,...Category
1970s French Coats and Outerwear
- Balenciaga Black Drape CoatLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga black tailored coat-dress featuring long sleeves, a knee-length snap front panel, and asymmetrica...Category
20th Century French Coats and Outerwear$1,200
- Comme des Garcons African Print Coat SS 2008By Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Comme des Garcons navy blue poly coat featuring African hair print panels, double-breasted front with white buttons, 3/4 length sle...Category
20th Century Japanese Coats and Outerwear
- Dolce Black Wool Toggle Coat With Fur Trim HoodBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Dolce & Gabbana black wool toggle coat featuring black fur cuffs, collar, and hem, a glamourous fit a...Category
Early 2000s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Chanel Navy Wool Short Length Coat Jacket w/ CC Buttons Size 40By ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel Navy Wool Short Length Coat Jacket w/ CC Buttons Size 40 Product details: Size FR 40 Double lined w/ Chanel logo navy silk fabric Silver tone CC buttons Front button closure...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Coats$4,400 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel S/S 2008 Runway Denim Jacket Trench CoatBy ChanelLocated in Naples, FLChanel S/S 2008 Runway Denim Jacket Trench Coat FR 36 Chanel double-breasted medium wash denim trench coat featuring quilted panels throughout, notched la...Category
Early 2000s Coats and Outerwear
- Chanel 2004 Limited Edition Runway Hooded Leather Sport Biker Jacket M US8 FR 40By ChanelLocated in Miami, FLRare Chanel 2004 Limited Edition CC Runway Hooded Leather Sport Biker Jacket Size: Medium, US8, FR40 As seen on runway and Victoria Beckham (with white piping) Soft black lambskin...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- F/W 1992 Chanel Vintage Ballerina Printed Bomber Puffer JacketBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Concord, NCChanel F/W 1992 black multicolor silk bomber jacket with a dancing ballerina print throughout. This jacket was seen on model Emma Sjöberg on the F/W 1992 runway and in a Chanel adve...Category
1990s French Bomber Jackets
- Chanel Couture Cashmere CoatBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZPhotos does not do this coat justice! This is a substantial piece of wool and cashmere draped perfectly to create a flowing and elegant coat. It is impeccably tailored to give the most effortless look. This coat is a maxi-length, in an off-white cream color. A perfect winter white if you ask me! This is a double-breasted coat with an elegant folded over sleeve and two pockets decorated with a beautiful 'cc' pearl button. This coat is in beautiful condition with no notable flaws. When you go to walk out of your house on a chilly day, this will be the coat you will always reach for. It can be dressed up for an event, or thrown over any outfit you wear for the day. Try pairing it with Bottega Veneta trousers, a Hermes blouse...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Coats and Outerwear
- Chanel 2017 Runway Embellished Black/Gold JacketBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZA jacket straight off the Runway as this is a rare and coveted find! This jacket is simply immaculate! Not only is this beautifully embellished, printed, and embroidered, but has a great stretch making it a super easy runway piece to fit into your wardrobe. Everyone will be in awe over this coat. This long jacket has a black base with a great gold and baby pink print, accompanied by black, pink, and gold sequins. What really makes this jacket pop is the vibrant gold embroidering that is paired with baby pink beading shaped into flowers on every edge of the jacket . Make sure you zoom in and take in all the details so you won't miss anything. Pair this statement jacket with a Hermés blouse...Category
2010s French Coats and Outerwear
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery