- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior Charcoal Grey Mohair & Wool Winter Coat 1980s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 6 (US)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Wool/mohair blend Dolman sleeves Asymmetrical collar Scarf wrap neck Single lapel Besom pockets Fully lined
- Seller Location:West Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number:Seller: kt1stDibs: LU28418152162
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Palm Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Christian Dior Logo Plesse Silk Chiffon Heart Lock ScarfBy Christian DiorLocated in West Palm Beach, FLChristian Dior Logo Plesse silk chiffon heart lock scarf. Rectangle scarf diagonally pleated, the design is ribbons & heart shaped lock, in blue, dark blue, white & black. 24" x 62".Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Scarves
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche X Long Rectangle Textured Silk Scarf/ShawlBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche X long rectangle, silk jacquard shawl/scarf with self fringe on 4 sides. The design is snake skin in shades of aqua & turquoise blue, a beautiful scarf...Category
1990s French Scarves
- Versace Watery Floral Silk Coat with Rolled Stand Away Collar NWTBy Versace, Donatella VersaceLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVersace watery floral silk coat with a rolled stand away collar, new with tags. A beautiful coat with a gorgeous print. Raglan sleeves, the collar is wide and when the coat is fasten...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocoon Coats
- Christia Russet Brown Whip Stitched Tie Waist Shearling Coat LargeLocated in West Palm Beach, FLChristia made in Italy, russet brown, whip stitched, tie waist shearling coat marked large. Deep collar can be worn open or buttoned up for warmth, the coat has interior button & loo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Isabel Canovas Rare Black Silk Sequin Ribbons & Tassels Evening Coat 1980sBy Isabel CanovasLocated in West Palm Beach, FLIsabel Canovas rare black silk, sequin ribbons with huge tassels evening coat from the 1980s. A beautiful evening coat. Isabel Canovas began her career as a designer for Christian Di...Category
1980s French Cocoon Coats
- Victor Costa Mustard Yellow Faille Coat Quilted Facings & Cuffs 1980sBy Victor CostaLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVictor Costa mustard yellow faille coat with quilted front facings & cuffs. The coat has padded quilted front facings and collar plus the cuffs. The long sleeves are very full and ta...Category
1980s American Swing Coats
- Oscar de la Renta Vintage Hot Pink Maxi Silk Taffeta Skirt w Black Lace TrimBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Portland, ORThis is a bright hot pink silk taffeta Oscar De La Renta maxi skirt with lovely black velvet and black lace trim on the waist and the hem. There is a large decorative bow on the bac...Category
1980s North American Skirts
- Christian Dior New York 1950s Swing Coat With Velvet Collar And CuffsBy Christian DiorLocated in Chicago, ILRare 1950s Christian Dior New York Swing coat Wool with velvet collar and cuffs Silk charmeuse lining Interior pocket with a metal zipper Side slit pockets that sit high Labeled...Category
1950s European Swing Coats
- Prada Open Hobo Canvas with LeatherBy PradaLocated in NY, NYCondition: Marketplace Only. Missing code. Light odor in interior. Slight creasing on exterior and strap, light scuffs on leather trims, scratches on hardware. Accessories: Dust Bag ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Hobo Bags
- Vintage 1930's Lewis Aronson Couture Floral Ruched Silk Velvet Bias-Cut GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Lewis Aronson floral silk-velvet bias cut gown dating back to the late 1930's. As shown Irma Amelia de Malkharzouny, Duchess of Leeds, wore a Lewis Aronson gown for her Fe...Category
1930s English Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- RICK OWENS lilies long brown wrap coat with extra long sleevesBy Rick OwensLocated in San Fransisco, CABrown wrap coat with extra long sleeves designed by rick owens Rick Owens for his 'Lilies' line. Italian size 40. Approximate measurements: shoulder 15.5", bust up to 38", hips up to...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Coats
- Christian Dior Black Wool Tweed and Fur Coat Jacket Size 40By Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAProduct details: Size FR 40, US 8. Featuring 97% pure virgin wool in black color and 100% mink fur collar detail, tweed style and lightweight fabric with four black large Dior stamp...Category
Late 20th Century French Coats and Outerwear$2,320 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior Persian Lamb Fur CoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis beautiful vintage Christian Dior coat has 2 pockets, 3 closing hooks and a red leather fringe cord. Its in pre-loved condition Appears to be medium, please refer to the measurem...Category
20th Century French Coats and Outerwear$1,198 Sale Price25% Off
- Christian Dior black men's topcoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Amsterdam, NLChristian Dior topcoat from the collection" Monsieur" with removable wool check lining with a zipper , belted and with raglan sleeves. The leather buckle of the belt is worn color: ...Category
1980s French Coats and Outerwear
- 2000s Christian Dior by John Galliano Knit Brown Sable Mink Fur ScarfBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous brown knit mink Christian Dior scarf, designed by John Galliano. From the early 2000s, this luxurious scarf is the perfect addition to any winter war...Category
Early 2000s French Scarves
- S/S 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano Diorissimo Denim Logo Trench CoatBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a Diorissimo print Christian Dior Boutique trench coat, designed by John Galliano. From the Spring/Summer 2006 collection, this trench is constructed entirely o...Category
Early 2000s Portuguese Trench Coats
- 1980's Christian Dior Boutique Broadtail Fur JacketBy Christian DiorLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAStunning Vintage 1980's Christian Dior broadtail cropped jacket has a center button fastening, cuffed wide sleeves, and a full lining. Jacket is in good condition with some flaws to ...Category
20th Century French Coats and Outerwear$1,440 Sale Price40% Off
- Vigo Magistretti for Cassina Sofa in Dark Grey UpholsteryBy Vico Magistretti, CassinaLocated in Waalwijk, NLVico Magistretti for Cassina, two-seater sofa, model 'Veranda', fabric, aluminum, Italy, 1983. Beautiful esthetically balanced two-seater sofa designed by Vico Magistretti for Cas...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern SofasMaterials
- Hermes Rare Special Order 35cm Harlequin BirkinBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes rare harlequin Birkin. 35cm. Constructed with clemence leather in six colors (ultra violet, etain, bleu lin, bleu obscur, etoupe, gold) and palladium hardware. Handle drop, 4....Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Italian post modern linen aluminum Celestia chandelier, Tobia Scarpa, Flos 1982By Tobia Scarpa, FlosLocated in MIlano, ITItalian post modern white linen fabric and aluminum 1130 Celestia chandelier by Tobia Scarpa for Flos, Italy 1982. Chandelier mod. 1130 Celestia with suspended diffuser in white line...Category
Vintage 1980s Post-Modern Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Cartier 18K Two-Tone Gold BangleBy CartierLocated in Houston, TXCartier bangle bracelet in 18K white and yellow gold. This bracelet is marked "Cartier 707194". The inside diameter of the round bangle is 2 3/8 inches and it is 1/4 inch wide. Sl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French BanglesMaterials
18k Gold, Gold$4,950Free Shipping
- Warren Platner for Knoll Mid-Century Dining ChairBy Warren Platner, KnollLocated in Countryside, ILWarren Platner for Knoll mid-century dining chair. This chair measures: 27.25 wide x 21 deep x 29 inches high, with a seat height of 18 and arm height/chair clearance of 25 inches...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery