Hermès Saddle Leather Safari Biker Jacket with Logo Buttons and Silk Lining
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 28 in (71.12 cm)Marked Size: 40 (EU)Shoulder to Hem: 28 in (71.12 cm)
- Style:Safari (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Only 2 tiny scratches from storage hangers (!). Otherwise looks brand new.
- Seller Location:Boston, MA
- Reference Number:Seller: Hermès-safari1stDibs: LU925114326292
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Boston, MA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Japanese vintage foliage print silk kimono Haori jacketLocated in Boston, MAAntique Silk Haori kimono jacket Fabric: heavy silk crepe in red black foliage print Peach plaid silk lining. Circa: 1910 Place of Origin: Japan Material:...Category
Early 20th Century Japanese Jackets
- Japanese Black Silk Brocade Antique Haori Kimono Jacket lined in Sakura JacquardLocated in Boston, MAUnisex Haori kimono jacket with subtly dramatic deep sleeve drops. Fabric: Silk brocade. Ecru sakura cherry blossom tree silk jacquard lining. Circa: Meij...Category
1890s Japanese Jackets
- Down Overstuffed Puffer Duvet Blanket Long Coat Men's L Italian FilasportLocated in Boston, MAPitch black overstuffed puffer coat. Chic X function, plus making a statement is this wonderful oversized Italian brand FILA puffer coat. 80% down, 20% feather filled, this coat is ...Category
2010s Unknown Cocoon Coats
- Black Princess-Cut Tailored Wool CoatLocated in Boston, MAAnother timeless classy coat. Color is PITCH BLACK. All images have been lightened to show details. In substantial, thick, textured, weaved (almost tiny waffled) wool with faux (?) f...Category
Early 2000s American Coats
- Stella McCartney X Adidas Originals Stellasport Unisex Orange Puffer ParkaBy Stella McCartneyLocated in Boston, MASize L Stella McCartney for Adidas Stellasport Orange Puffer. Double-ended zipper. Approx 22" long; 44" chest/ Great condition.Category
2010s French Anoraks and Parkas
- Pale Green Japanese Silk Brocade Kimono Cocoon Jacket vintageLocated in Boston, MACirca: 1930-1940 Place of Origin: Japan Material: Silk Has elaborate furisode sleeves. Approximately 33" long; 46" bust; 50" sleeve tip to tip; 18.5" sleeve drop, Condition: Excell...Category
1930s Japanese Dinner Jackets
- BALENCIAGA Black Shiny Cropped Puffer JacketBy BalenciagaLocated in Krakow, PLBalenciaga's coat for Pre-Fall makes a worthy investment piece especially since puffers never really go out of style. This iteration is designed from glossy vinyl with a cropped he...Category
2010s Coats and Outerwear
- Celine fox fur collar black structured bomber style coat jacketBy CelineLocated in Paris, FRCeline black structured bomber style jacket with a detachable black fox fur collar Cuffs close via large silver popper buttons Front zip Size: FR 36 Composition: 52% polyester 48% ...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Thom Browne Grey XS Velvet Collar Classic Chesterfield Overcoat Jacket CoatBy Thom BrowneLocated in Downey, CAThom Browne Grey XS Velvet Collar Classic Chesterfield Overcoat Jacket Coat This classic Thom Browne wool peacoat is a timeless investment piece for you wardrobe. Crafted out of a p...Category
2010s Italian Overcoats
- Yves Saint Laurent Metallic Gold Parka Hooded JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Amsterdam, NLVintage parka jacket from the" YSL Variation" collection with 2 pockets, closes with a zipper and has a detachable hood with buttons, hood is embroided w...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Thierry Mugler Runway Wasp Waist Bee Motorcycle Faux Leather PVC Vintage JakcetBy Thierry MuglerLocated in PARIS, FRBeautiful piece by Thierry Mugler! Wasp Waist. 4 Gigant front pockets! MTM buttons. Removable MTM Mugler shoulder tabs. Red lining! Leather look (tissue: ...Category
- Vintage 1989 Yves Saint Laurent Leopard Print Cotton Twill Trench Jacket w/TagsBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChic Yves Saint Laurent leopard print cotton-twill trench jacket from the infamous Rive Gauche collection during spring-summer of 1989. Pieces from this collection are very rare and are true examples of fashion history. I adore the cuffed-sleeves and front duel pockets. The jacket features hidden buttons and a sexy back-slit. It is wearable and comfortable, yet has its own iconic elements. The best part of all is, the trench is in mint never worn condition! "In the mid-1970s the relevance of haute couture was seriously debated. The political and social upheaval of the 1960s, the emergence of a plethora of creative ready-to-wear designers, and the increasing preference for a sportswear approach to dressing as represented by American fashion were among the shifts in lifestyles and taste that appeared to sound the death knell of the calcified and elitist world of the maisons de couture. It was at this time that Yves Saint Laurent, haute couture’s preeminent practitioner, threw caution to the prevailing winds with a collection of unrivaled fantasy and luxury." Measurements Marked a EU 36 Bust: 40 inches Hips: up to 52 inches Sleeves: 24 inches Total Length: 42 inches This YSL designer...Category
1980s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The Hermès Passe-Guide Bag Might Not Be as Well Known as the Birkin or Kelly, But It’s Every Bit as Chic
Find out why this under-the-radar piece is so exceptional.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.