1960s Christian Dior Yellow, Orange and Red Floral Silk Maxi Dress
View Similar Items
1960s Christian Dior Yellow, Orange and Red Floral Silk Maxi Dress
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- 1968 Christian Dior Haute Couture Floral Lattice Lace Mod Dress Original DesignBy Marc BohanLocated in Houston, TXTruly Couture and intricate floral dress designed by Marc Bohan for a New York artist and philanthropist that was considered Rockefeller's favorite grandchild*. A true lover of the ...Category
1960s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior by Optyl 2040 70 Sunglasses, C. 1970sBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Houston, TXSo vintage! So fabulous! Yellow frames with wide, circular lenses in a green ombre tone. Brow decorated with orange and green lines. Made in Germany. Frame Width- 6" Lens Width 2.5"...Category
1970s German SunglassesUnavailable$445
- Rare 1960s Christian Dior Black Leathery Silk ChapeauxBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Houston, TXRare, Uniquely designed and executed, this captivating hat from the house of Dior was created during the years Marc Bohan was at the houses helm. This gorgeous chapeaux features a...Category
1960s French HatsUnavailable$475
- 1950s Christian Dior Paris Numbered Brown and Black DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Houston, TXNew Look Refined. 1950's Christian Dior dress in dark brown (#144006) with black floral motifs. Dress features elbow length sleeves with three fabric buttons and sweet bow at center ...Category
1950s French Casual DressesUnavailable$1,825
- 1980s Christian Dior Haute Couture Silk Evening DressBy Marc BohanLocated in Houston, TXTimeless yet designed in the 1980s, Mrs. Couture presents this perfect Christian Dior Haute Couture silk evening dress. The dress is labeled "Christian Dior Haute Couture 27369". ...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and GownsUnavailable$2,925
- 1960s Christian Dior Bouclé and Painted Feather ChapeauxBy Marc BohanLocated in Houston, TXClassic 1960s Christian Dior turbin for fall. Made of large looped wool bouclé and painted feathers that have been enmeshed in a fine green tulle. Wonderful swirl design of the fabr...Category
1960s French HatsUnavailable$240
- Christian Dior printed chiffon long dressBy Christian DiorLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRChristian Dior vintage long dress in multicoloured printed chiffon with matching stole sewn with multicoloured swan stripes. Marc Bohan for Christian Dior Size 36 frenchCategory
1970s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vintage 1956 Christian Dior Couture Blue Floral Silk Portrait Collar Full DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe House of Dior has been an enduring icon of Haute-Couture. While the House of Dior is still a thriving business today, Dior's untimely death in 1957 left the fashion world without...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- 1954 Christian Dior Haute Couture 'Lily of the Valley' Satin Evening Dress SuitBy Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CATwo piece suit consisting of a jacket and mid length skirt of butter black satin trimmed with a velvet and jet fringe. The fitted jacket is constructed on princess lines with raglan ...Category
1950s Dress and Coat Ensembles
- 1950S CHRISTIAN DIOR Haute Couture Wool Boucle Jacket With Leopard Print Fur CBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NY1950S CHRISTIAN DIOR Haute Couture Wool Boucle Jacket With Leopard Print Fur CollarCategory
1950s Bolero Jackets
- Pierre Cardin Haute Couture Green Silk Crepe Sequined Cocktail Dress ca. 1967By Pierre CardinLocated in Studio City, CAA circa 1967 Pierre Cardin haute couture green sequined silk crêpe cocktail dress that features a keyhole opening at the back. The main draw of this slinky silk cocktail dress are t...Category
1960s French Evening Dresses and Gowns$625 Sale Price30% Off
- Christian Dior by Marc Bohan Haute Couture 1982 Yellow Silk Cocktail DressBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CADramatic Christian Dior by Marc Bohan haute Couture silk moiré in light yellow and black velvet bow one shoulder dress with buble hem . Beautiful Museum quality dress. Size: 2/4 SMA...Category
1980s French Ball Gowns
- 1970s Christian Dior By Marc Bohan Hiroshige Wave Silk Chiffon Vintage 70s GownBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in San Diego, CAAbsolutley stunning rare 1970s vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR by MARC BOHAN hiroshige wave novelty print silk chiffon evening gown maxi dress ! Features a beautiful print in vibrant colors o...Category
1970s French Evening Gowns
- 1960s Christian Dior Ethnic-Inspired Knit Maxi Dress w/ Fringed Midriff & HemBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in San Francisco, CAA wonderful late 1960s Christian Dior ethnic-inspired purple, black and tan light-weight knit maxi dress with free floating top overlay, scalloped and fringed sleeves, midriff and he...Category
1960s French Maxi Dresses
- Vintage 1968 Christian Dior Couture London Stripe Silk Pleated Drop-Waist DressBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe House of Dior has been an enduring icon of Haute Couture. While the House of Dior is still a thriving business today, Dior's untimely death in 1957 left the fashion world without...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1980 Christian Dior Haute Couture Ivory Silk Pleated Drop-Waist DressBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe House of Dior has been an enduring icon of Haute Couture. While the House of Dior is still a thriving business today, Dior's untimely death in 1957 left the fashion world without...Category
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- A Christian Dior-Marc Bohan Little Black Dress numbered 15843 Spring Summer 1982By Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 1982 Collection France Haute Couture or cocktail little black dress in muslin and Caudry lace from the designer house Christian Dior directed by Marc Bohan. Straight d...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery