- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Givenchy Black LBD Silk Blend Dress
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Carmel by the Sea, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Venerated French designer Hubert de Givenchy (1927–2018) made a splash with his first collection of mix-and-match separates in 1952, which launched his namesake fashion house, the clean lines and refined silhouettes of the pieces offering a contrast to the more structured shapes then dominating postwar women’s fashion. His roster of clients would eventually include Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, all of whom were drawn to the designer’s architecturally and materially simple pieces that combined sensual femininity with elegance.
At the age of 17, Givenchy left his hometown of Beauvais, France, for Paris. There he studied drawing at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts and apprenticed for the houses of Jacques Fath, Robert Piguet, Lucien Lelong and Elsa Schiaparelli. Givenchy earned his first high praise for the 1952 Bettina blouse, an embroidered, ruffle-sleeve linen shirt named for his publicist and model Bettina Graziani. The Givenchy label soon developed a following of fashion icons around the world, most notably Audrey Hepburn, who would serve as Givenchy’s muse for decades after they met in 1953. The couturier created pieces for many of her films, such as the iconic little black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961), as well as her personal life, including her wedding dress for her 1969 marriage to Andrea Dotti.
Givenchy formed a close friendship with his idol and mentor, Spanish designer Cristóbal Balenciaga, with whom he’d popularize such pieces as the sack dress, choosing looser forms over tailored ones. Throughout the decades, Givenchy expanded his empire to include fragrances, menswear, accessories and beauty lines.
In 1988, his house was acquired by luxury conglomerate LVMH. After Givenchy retired from fashion in 1995, he became an antiques expert, working with Christie’s and the Louvre, among other institutions. The brand then saw an impressive succession of head designers and artistic directors: John Galliano was the first to arrive, followed by Alexander McQueen, Julien Macdonald, Riccardo Tisci, Clare Waight Keller and Matthew M. Williams. Today, the brand, with its timeless fashions, continues to be a favorite of A-listers, including Cate Blanchett, Erykah Badu, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande.
- Givenchy Coral Silk Blend DressBy GivenchyLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAGivenchy Dress featured in a Coral/peach color with decorative buttons along the front. Dress has a side zipper fastening and full lining. Size 38, made in France. Bust 33”, waist ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Chanel 2017 Black Wool Knit Dress Sz 36By ChanelLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAChanel rib knit black dress with pockets at the hips, and cutouts along the sleeves and hem. 2017 Collection. Dress has a back zipper fastening. Knit is made from 57% wool, 25% Ango...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Moschino Couture Question Mark Dress 1988-89By MoschinoLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAMoschino Couture Question Mark Dress 1988-89 Franco Moschino lifetime rare question mark dress from the late 1980's. Purchased at Ralph Davies in San Francisco. 100% Rayon. Made in ...Category
1980s Italian Cocktail Dresses$1,120 Sale Price20% Off
- Oscar de la Renta 2008 Raffia Dress & Bolero with Bead, Sequin EmbellishingBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAOscar de la Renta dress and bolero set 2008 Spring Collection—featured in a brown and forest green color with raffia throughout the cotton-blend fabric and bead and sequin Appliqué. ...Category
Early 2000s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Zandra Rhodes Maxi Jersey Dress Ruffle Taffeta CollarBy Zandra RhodesLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAZandra Rhodes Navy Blue Jersey Dress features a green taffeta ruffled trim along the neckline and a slit along the left leg. Dress is in great vintage condition with normal wears. La...Category
Late 20th Century English Maxi Dress
- 1970's Pierre Cardin Mod Structured Wool Navy Blue A Line DressBy Pierre CardinLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAVintage 1970's wool dress has a back zipper closure, button closures at the cuffs, decorative bow at the shoulder, A-line silhouette, and ruching at the sleeves. Dress has some norma...Category
1970s Evening Dresses
You May Also Like
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
1980s French Evening Dresses
1960s French Day Dresses
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
1980s French Aesthetic Day Dresses
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
1970s French Maxi Dresses
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
Early 2000s Day Dresses
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery