Iconic Moschino Vintage 1990s 90s "Love Charts + Graphs" Valentines Red Dress
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Guy Laroche Fur DressBy Guy LarocheLocated in Sparks, NVIncredible soft dyed pink goat fur sheath dress by Guy Laroche. You will be surprised at how soft this is! Fully lined with rear zip and hook closure. Front patch pockets. 100% young...Category
2010s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Ceil Chapman Vintage Metallic Gold + Red Silk Cocktail DressBy Ceil ChapmanLocated in Sparks, NVStunning vintage Ceil Chapman dress in metallic gold and red silk. Darling cut with full sleeves and a flared skirt. Details: Partially Lined Back Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size:...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Gorgeous 1970s Pauline Trigere Vintage Metallic Gold Lamé Paisley Silk DressBy Pauline TrigèreLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous vintage 1970s gold lamé paisley silk evening gown by Pauline Trigere. Versatile zip up front allows you to be either daring or discreet. Fully lined in a gold metallic silk,...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- 1960s George Halley Vintage Satin Evening Dress or Gown with Ombre Dyed RibbonBy George HalleyLocated in Sparks, NVUnique champagne and black satin evening dress by George Halley featuring hand dyed ombre ribbon stripes, long sleeves and a high neckline. Fully lined with rear zip and hook closure...Category
1960s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Junko Koshino Vintage 1980s 80s Yellow Knit Asymmetric Sweater DressBy Junko KoshinoLocated in Sparks, NVRare vintage knit dress by Junko Koshino. Asymmetric hemline and yellow, black and silver striped design. Details: Unlined Shoulder Pads Can Be Removed If Desired No Closure/ Fabri...Category
1980s Japanese Mini Dresses
- 1970s Mr. Blackwell Vintage Sheer Silk Chiffon Print Dress with Detachable CapeBy Mr. BlackwellLocated in Sparks, NVStunning vintage 1970s Mr. Blackwell sheer silk chiffon dress in what appears to be hand painted fabric. Optional cape detail that snaps on and off. Fully lined with rear zip and hoo...Category
1970s American Evening Gowns
- Lanvin vintage 1980s red pleated skirt with matching belt dressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Antwerp, BELovely pleated skirt coral red crepe dress by Lanvin comes with a matching belt. Made in a mix of 10%wool - 45%cupro - 30%acetate - The dress is fully lined with a 100% silk materia...Category
1880s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior "Boutique" Cashmere Blend Fuchsia Body-Hugging Tank DressBy Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYChristian Dior "Boutique" bold fuchsia body-hugging cashmere blended with silk body-hugging tank dress measures 30 inches in length. Underarm circumference measures 24 inches,...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- A Pierre Cardin Couture Batwing Sleeves Dress & Skirt Circa 1980By Pierre CardinLocated in Toulon, FREarly 1980. France. Pearly red dress from Pierre Cardin, in polyester satin, inner lining in red viscose. Under skirt held by two black presses inside the dress. Large three quarte...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Travilla Strapless Silk Strapless Gown 1970sBy TravillaLocated in Water Mill, NYFrom acclaimed designer William Travilla a stunning gown comprised of layers of pointed edge red silk. He is famous for among other things creating Mari...Category
1970s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1930S Burnt Orange Rayon & Silk Crepe Satin Long Sleeve Dress With Adjustable WLocated in New York, NY1930S Burnt Orange Rayon & Silk Crepe Satin Long Sleeve Dress With Adjustable Waist Sash Handmade Neckline, XLCategory
1930s Day Dresses
- 1990S Alaia Salmon Red Rayon Blend Stretch Dress With Pleated Ruffle Hem XLLocated in New York, NY1990S Alaia Salmon Red Rayon Blend Stretch Dress With Pleated Ruffle Hem XLCategory
1990s French Cocktail Dresses