Versace Navy Bodycon Dress with Mesh Cut outs
About the Item
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Water Mill, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Dolce & Gabbana New One Sleeve Dress with ChainsBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous pink jersey dress from Dolce & Gabbana's D & G line. It has a drape neckline front and back adorned with rows of draping gold chains and ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dresses
- Thierry Mugler Color Block DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful body conscious purple dress trimmed in black velvet by Thierry Mugler. It has short sleeves, a sweetheart neckline and is semi fitted with princess seaming through to th...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Celine Flower Print Silk Dress with Fringe WrapBy Celine, Michael KorsLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous pink and turquoise tropical flower print silk dress with a matching silk fringe wrap/tie belt from Celine. It is sleeveless with a V ...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Courreges Color Block Dress 1970sBy Courrèges, André CourrègesLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous navy and off white color block silk blend dress from Courreges. It is sleeveless, semi fitted with a small stand up collar. It has an off white yoke pointed in the front...Category
1970s French Day Dresses
- Valentino Boutique Silk Disc Sleeve Dress 1980sBy Valentino Garavani, ValentinoLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous navy silk dress with tiny white dots dress from Valentino. The cap sleeves are incredible, the ends of them encircled with several 100 finished circles adding dimension a...Category
1980s Italian Day Dresses
- Bill Blass Lace Trim Navy Silk Dress 1990sBy Bill BlassLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful navy blue silk dress from Bill Blass. It is semi fitted with a sweetheart neckline and 12" slits on each side at the hem. The neckline, hem and slits are finished with de...Category
1990s American Evening Dresses and Gowns
- A Jean-Louis Sherrer Evening Dress in Navy Polka dots Net Circa 1980By Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980 France Beautiful evening dress in navy blue Polyamide tulle with polka dots by Sherrer Boutique Paris numbered A13862 dating from the beginning of the Prêt-à-porter of t...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Marjon Couture Mauve Purple Silk Reverse-Halter Pleated GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous mid-century formal gown by the Marjon Couture London fashion house. The fabric used is of the highest quality; shimmering light-weight mauve ...Category
1950s English Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950s Pierre Balmain Couture Navy Lace Illusion Strapless Dress & JacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Beverly Hills, CABreathtaking Pierre Balmain Paris cocktail dress set dating back to his 1959 Spring/Summer collection. Pierre Balmain worked under Robert Pigiuet, Molyneux, and Lucian Lelong, where ...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- 1970s Holly's Harp China Stencil Buttons Hand Painted Cold Shoulder Silk DressBy Holly HarpLocated in San Diego, CARare 70s HOLLY'S HARP purple hand painted boho cold shoulder dress ! Features a beautiful medium shade of purple. Hand painted tress, leaves and rainbows throughout. Vibrant colors o...Category
1970s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1970s Maurice Signed Abstract Print Pink Blue Coral Knit Jersey 70s Maxi DressLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing vintage 70s MAURICE signed pink, blue, coral and white jersey maxi dress ! Features abstract prints with the Maurice signature throughout. Hidden zipper up the back with hook...Category
1970s American Maxi Dress
- 1960s Moe Nathan New York Purple Striped Silk Long Sleeve Vintage 60s DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic Avant Garde MOE NATHAN New York purple striped silk long sleeve dress ! Origami collar features snap details. Full metal zipper up the back with hook-a...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses