VERSACE SAVAGE BAROCCO PRINT KNIT DRESS In Yellow 40 - 4
About the Item
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Montgomery, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/ 2020 Look# 84 VERSACE VIRTUS ANIMALIER BEAD EMBELLISHED MINI DRESS 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Collection Fall 2020 Look# 84 As seen on Kaia Gerber and Kendall Jenner Black with orange stripe pattern. Gold crystal and black bead embellish...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- ROBERTO CAVALLI CLASS YELLOW FLORAL SILK LONG DRESS size 44By Roberto CavalliLocated in Montgomery, TXROBERTO CAVALLI CLASS Yellow floral pattern silk long dress ,Stunning print featuring beautiful delicate floral with a big dramatic bird of pray Size IT 44 - US 8 Made in Italy ...Category
2010s Italian Maxi Dresses
- DRIES Van NOTEN Fall 2012 SILK DRESS size 36 - SBy Dries van NotenLocated in Montgomery, TXDRIES VAN NOTEN Dries Van Noten Silk Printed Japanese Dress with Sleeves. V-neck Color: White Size: 36 or US - S Content: 100% Silk Length: Back 160cm Pre-owned, in excellen...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- S/S 2011 Look # 36 Versace Crepe Nude Dress 40 - 4/6By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVersace Crepe Nude Dress. It has a waistline modeling, cutouts in guipure lace in hollow arabesque, single shoulder with medium thickness strap, side invisible zipper closure and hook. Origin: Italy...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Alexander McQueen Interlock Kaleidoscope Dress Size L as seen on CelebritiesBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Montgomery, TXAlexander McQueen Short cap sleeves, hidden back zip-closure Body-conscious, lean silhouette Red multi-color print Content: 69% rayon, 27% polyamide, 4% elastane Medium weight f...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- Elegant Moroccan White Caftan with Gold Metallic Floral BrocadeLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan white caftan with gold lame metallic floral brocade, This is an exceptional example of Moroccan fashion design dating to the 1970s, Handcrafted in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit. It is trimmed in handcrafted “passementerie”. The neckline does up with ball shaped buttons and loops. The body of the garment is loose fitting and flares to the bottom. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand with detailing around neckline, shoulders and cuffs. One of a kind evening Moroccan Middle Eastern Moorish gown. The kaftan features a traditional neckline, embellished sleeves. It is a slip on, the button does not open. In Morocco, fashion preserves its traditional style inherited from great civilizations that found their way to Northwest Africa, such as the ottomans and the moors. Moroccan fashion has been recognized for its style and has garnered a reputation, winning awards in international fashion shows throughout Europe. Marrakech Bohemian, Yves Saint Laurent style. Sizing: No size is indicated, but, being a loose fitting garment, this should fit a range of medium to large sizes, please rely on the following measurements for fit: Shoulders 17” across Sleeves 24” Bust 24” flat Waist 25” flat Hips 27” flat Length 56”, measured flat Condition: It is in very good condition with no wear, tear, stains or odors, this caftan looks like it saw little use and was well stored over the years. This is a beautiful example of 1970s Moroccan fashion design, only now becoming more appreciated and sure to increase in value! Women's long flare bell sleeves Islamic dress...Category
1970s Moroccan Caftans
- Moroccan Elegant Luxury Dupiono Silk Caftan Gown Maxi DressLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan luxury silk caftan gown. Stunning elegant classic Dupioni silk fabric in ivory color. easy light to wear around the house or at a party. This long maxi dress kaftan ...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans
- Elegant Moroccan Caftan White and Gold Metallic Floral BrocadeLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan white and gold lame metallic floral brocade, circa 1970s. It’s crafted in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit with wide sleeves This long maxi dress kaftan...Category
20th Century Moroccan Caftans
- Moroccan Caftan, Silk Brocade Vintage KaftanLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan silk gold damask gorgeous vintage hostess gown. Light green floral leaf design on silk Kaftan circa 1970s. Exotic oriental long maxi caftan dress with long sleeves in shimmering brocade beige and gold fabric. One of a kind evening Moroccan Middle Eastern gown. This long maxi dress kaftan is embellished entirely by hand. The front is embellished at the front with woven gold buttons and loops that run down the center to the hemline. The cuffs and border seams are accented with handmade applique gold trim. This exotic Arabic maxi dress caftan gown makes a very extravagant garment for formal attire to transitions effortlessly to casual wear. Handcrafted in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit with wide sleeves, It is made in the traditional form of a Moroccan caftan using metallic brocade fabric and trimmed in handcrafted “passementerie”. The body of the garment is loose fitting and flares to the bottom. The sleeves are somewhat bell shaped with an open cuff that closes up with metallic gold buttons. The fabric is a rich looking metallic thread blend brocade. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand with detailing around a traditional neckline, with embellished sleeves In Morocco, fashion preserves its traditional style inherited from great civilizations that found their way to Northwest Africa, such as the Ottomans and the Moors. Moroccan fashion has been recognized for its style and has garnered a reputation, winning awards in international fashion shows throughout Europe. Marrakech Bohemian style. Sizing: No size is indicated, but, being a loose fitting garment, this should fit a range of medium to large sizes - please rely on the following measurements for fit: Measurements: Bust 36”. Waist 36”. Hips 44”. Across shoulders 13”. Sleeve length 25.5”. Centre back length 60”. Handcrafted by Moroccan Artist designer, this is a one of a kind caftan, inspired by the tales of princess of the Arabian Nights. The Kaftan is a long and wide tunic, collarless, long-sleeved, worn by man and women in Africa and the Middle East. The Moroccan kaftans inspired European and global designers as Yves Saint Laurent, Valentino, Oscar de La Renta, Emilio Pucci, and many more who made the Moorish caftans famous in the 1960s and 1970s. Loose fit this caftan blends ease and timeless style with its relaxed fit and intricate embroidery, for a casual evening out or dress it up with jeweled sandals...Category
20th Century Moroccan Maxi Dresses
- Moroccan Caftan Maxi Dress Kaftan Handmade in Morocco AfricaLocated in North Hollywood, CAMoroccan caftan in peach brocade, maxi dress kaftan handmade by Moroccan artist. Handcrafted vintage exotic 1970s ceremonial caftan gown from North Africa, Morocco. This maxi dress...Category
20th Century Moroccan Kaftans
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery