- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1960s Givenchy Couture Silk Organza Blue Sheath Cocktail Dress
About the Item
Venerated French designer Hubert de Givenchy (1927–2018) made a splash with his first collection of mix-and-match separates in 1952, which launched his namesake fashion house, the clean lines and refined silhouettes of the pieces offering a contrast to the more structured shapes then dominating postwar women’s fashion. His roster of clients would eventually include Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, all of whom were drawn to the designer’s architecturally and materially simple pieces that combined sensual femininity with elegance.
At the age of 17, Givenchy left his hometown of Beauvais, France, for Paris. There he studied drawing at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts and apprenticed for the houses of Jacques Fath, Robert Piguet, Lucien Lelong and Elsa Schiaparelli. Givenchy earned his first high praise for the 1952 Bettina blouse, an embroidered, ruffle-sleeve linen shirt named for his publicist and model Bettina Graziani. The Givenchy label soon developed a following of fashion icons around the world, most notably Audrey Hepburn, who would serve as Givenchy’s muse for decades after they met in 1953. The couturier created pieces for many of her films, such as the iconic little black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961), as well as her personal life, including her wedding dress for her 1969 marriage to Andrea Dotti.
Givenchy formed a close friendship with his idol and mentor, Spanish designer Cristóbal Balenciaga, with whom he’d popularize such pieces as the sack dress, choosing looser forms over tailored ones. Throughout the decades, Givenchy expanded his empire to include fragrances, menswear, accessories and beauty lines.
In 1988, his house was acquired by luxury conglomerate LVMH. After Givenchy retired from fashion in 1995, he became an antiques expert, working with Christie’s and the Louvre, among other institutions. The brand then saw an impressive succession of head designers and artistic directors: John Galliano was the first to arrive, followed by Alexander McQueen, Julien Macdonald, Riccardo Tisci, Clare Waight Keller and Matthew M. Williams. Today, the brand, with its timeless fashions, continues to be a favorite of A-listers, including Cate Blanchett, Erykah Badu, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1980s GIVENCHY Haute Couture Black Silk with Multi Color DotsBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CARare 1980s Givenchy haute couture black silk matelassé cocktail dress with asymmetrical neck line with multi color, irregular shaped dots in yellow, red, purple and green. On the fr...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Givenchy Yellow and Orange Plaid Halter Top and Skirt set, 1970sBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Givenchy Yellow, orange plaid cotton summer/vacation halter top and maxi skirt set. Fit size 4Category
1970s French Summer Dresses
- Givenchy Haute Couture Black Multi Color Dots Vintage Silk DressBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Givenchy Couture black silk matelasse cocktail dress with asymmetrical neckline and multi color irregular shaped dots in yellow, red, purple and green. On the front of the d...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses
- Givenchy Spaghetti Strap Blue Sequins Cocktail Dress, 1960sBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Vintage Givenchy late 60s cobalt blue,green and purple spaghetti strap cocktail dress completely covered in hand stitched sequins. Very flattering fit with nipped waist and...Category
1960s French Evening Gowns
- Vintage Red Givenchy One Shoulder Ruffle Silk Cocktail DressBy GivenchyLocated in Beverly Hills, CA90s Givenchy Red Silk organza ruffle one shoulder dress. Perfect cocktail dress. Dress has double zipper ( inside) Measurement: Bust: 36 inches/ Waist: 26.5 inches/ Hip: 34 inches/ ...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses
- 1980s Hanae Mori Pink Floral Beaded GownBy Hanae MoriLocated in Beverly Hills, CA80s Hanae Mori Pink beaded floral maxi long sleeves dress. Size: Small (2-4) Bust: 33”. / Waist: 30”. / Hip : 34” / Length: 54” / Sleeves 23” Dress is fragile and has some stains. F...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1950s Vintage Christian Dior Strapless Silk Satin Pale Taupe Dress w Bow & SashBy Christian DiorLocated in Portland, ORWe are so happy to be able to offer this very rare, vintage 1950's strapless evening gown from Christian Dior in a pale taupe silk satin. This incredible dress has lovely tucks and g...Category
1950s French Evening Gowns
- Alexander McQueen White Evening Gown with Gold Chains "Neptune" S/S 2006 Sz 42ITBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Saint Petersburg, FLAlexander McQueen - White Evening Gown with Gold Chains "Neptune" Inspired by the Grecian Goddesses. This gown is a celebration of strength and beauty. The beautiful flowing fabric...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture nr 28532 vintage 1960s velvet and ruffles dressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Antwerp, BEYves Saint Laurent Haute Couture nr 28532 vintage 1960s velvet and ruffles dress In good vintage condition. A similar dress was seen worn by Maya Plisetskaya in Moscou in 1973 Mea...Category
1960s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- An Hubert de Givenchy French Couture Cream and Black silk Evening Set Circa 1965By GivenchyLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1958/1965 France Rare grand soir ensemble, dress and cape coat in champagne and black silk shantung designed by Hubert de Givenchy Haute Couture dating from the 1960s. Sheath...Category
1960s French Evening Dresses
- John Galliano for Christian Dior Lavender Evening Gown Dress F/W 2007 Size 40FRBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Saint Petersburg, FLJohn Galliano for Christian Dior Lavender Evening Gown Dress F/W 2007 Size 40FRCategory
Early 2000s French Evening Gowns
- Givenchy Coral Silk Blend DressBy GivenchyLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAGivenchy Dress featured in a Coral/peach color with decorative buttons along the front. Dress has a side zipper fastening and full lining. Size 38, made in France. Bust 33”, waist ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Day Dresses
- Givenchy Black LBD Silk Blend DressBy GivenchyLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAGivenchy Dress featured in a black with decorative buttons along the front. Dress has a side zipper fastening and full lining. Size 38, made in France. Bust 33”, waist 30”, hips 34...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cocktail Dresses
- Givenchy Bodycon Bandage DressBy Givenchy, Ricardo TisciLocated in Water Mill, NYA great black bandage style dress from Givenchy. It is fitted with criss crossing straps over the shoulders. The dress is unlined and slips on over the head. Fits sizes Extra Sm...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Givenchy Nouvelle Boutique 1970s Maxi Dress and Wrap with Stud TrimBy Givenchy, Givenchy Nouvelle BoutiqueLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black wool jersey maxi dress and wrap from Givenchy. It has long sleeves, a crew neckline and comes with a narrow tie belt and matching wrap. The lower sleeves and skirt...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses
- Givenchy Dress with AppliquesBy GivenchyLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous sheer black organza shift dress with large gold beads encased in elaborate embroidery. The dress is sleeveless with a rounded neckline. Both front and back are adorned wi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Givenchy Nouvelle Boutique Dress With Metal Appliques 1980sBy Givenchy, Givenchy Nouvelle BoutiqueLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous wool jersey dress by Givenchy. It is semi fitted with a small V neckline, long sleeves and lightly padded shoulders. The entire dress is covered in shiny black metal squa...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
Fiercely Fabulous, This Givenchy Tiger-Print Coat Graced the Pages of ‘Vogue’ in 1969
Impeccably tailored and beautifully preserved, the piece will be cherished by a true fashion-phile.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery