Halston Red Tiered Silk Chiffon Evening Dress, 1970s
View Similar Items
Halston Red Tiered Silk Chiffon Evening Dress, 1970s
- Dimensions:Length: 50 in (127 cm)Marked Size: Small (US)Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Silk chiffon
- Seller Location:New Hope, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU477423021
About the Designer
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
- 1960's Helena Barbieri Raspberry Red and Woven Metallic Gold Dress and CoatBy Helena BarbieriLocated in New Hope, PAHelena Barbieri used a beautiful raspberry red silk with a woven metallic gold floral design for this chic 1960's dress and coat set. The dress has narrow straps an empire waistline and an elongated A line skirt. The boned bodice has a double zipper for a perfect fit. The matching evening coat is collarless, with a matching empire waistline, six concealed red buttons for the closure and full elbow length sleeves. It has two pockets concealed in the seams and it is fully lined in a coordinating red satin. Both pieces are in excellent condition, probably only worn once. The outfit was retailed by Julius Garfinckel...Category
1960s American Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Chado Ralph Rucci Red Light Weight Wool DressBy Ralph Rucci, Chado Ralph RucciLocated in New Hope, PAA gorgeous shade of red Spring weight wool makes this dress a standout. It has a fitted bodice with cut in armholes, and a beautiful row of raised seams at the Empire waistline. This...Category
Late 20th Century American Cocktail Dresses
- Roland KleinBy Roland KleinLocated in New Hope, PARoland Klein began working under marc Bohan at Dior in the early 1960's, he then worked as Karl Lagerfeld's assistant at Patou. In 1979 he opened his own firm in London and this sexy...Category
1980s English Evening Gowns$750
- Vicky Tiel, Paris Pleated Violet Silk Chiffon Evening DressBy Vicky TielLocated in New Hope, PAAmerican designer Vicky Tiel, working in Paris designed beautiful evening dresses. This sexy long evening dress is a perfect example of her style. Changeable silk chiffon starts out ...Category
Late 20th Century French Evening Dresses
- Laura Biagiotti Beaded Red Cashmere Halter Dress with an Empire WaistBy Laura BiagiottiLocated in New Hope, PAA stunning cashmere halter dress by Laura Biagiotti is covered with deep red rhinestones, adding a subtle sparkle. The dress has an Empire waistline with the top of the dress made fr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Richard Tyler Couture Autumn Floral Printed Silk Chiffon DressBy Richard Tyler Couture, Richard TylerLocated in New Hope, PARichard Tyler has chosen an interesting micro pleated autumnal silk chiffon for this chic cocktail dress. This gives the dress enough room to just slip on over your head. It has a ro...Category
1990s American Cocktail Dresses
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Velvet Gown with Large Fabric BeadsBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TX1990s Jean Paul Gaultier maroon velvet evening gown with long straps and extra large fabric covered beads - 6 1/2" L x 1 1/4" W. 29" bust, 32" waist, ...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns$1,540 Sale Price44% Off
- S/S 2002 Gianni Versace Red Mini Dress Sheer With Black Lace TrimBy Donatella Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Austin, TXS/S 2002 Gianni Versace Red Mini Dress Sheer With Black Lace Trim Condition: Excellent Silk Blend Made in Italy SIZE: 40 Waist: 24"-27", Hips: 40"- 46", ...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- Dolce & Gabbana red gold floral print oriental asian style bustier midi dressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Paris, FRDolce & Gabbana oriental print bustier dress Burgundy/deep red with dark gold floral print Padded fabric Attached inner black lace underwired bra with adjustable straps Concealed bac...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses
- Katharine Hamnett documented 1980s sequin deep wine red dressBy Katharine HamnettLocated in Antwerp, BEBefore streetwear there was clubwear! London Fashion during the 80s rave scene was bold and exciting, Katharine Hamnett, Pam Hogg, John Richmond, and John Ga...Category
1990s British Mini Dress
- Lanvin vintage 1990s deep burgundy brown silk pleated and sequin strap dressBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Antwerp, BEBeautiful timeless dress by Lanvin made in 100% silk French size 36. In excellent condition with no missing sequins. The sequin upper bodice is lined, and the pleated lower part of...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
Recently ViewedView All
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?