Rochas Runway 1930's Inspired Harlowesque Bias Cut Dress Gown
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Tom Ford Limited Deco Inspired Deep Blue Beaded Evening DressBy Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CATom Ford deco inspired hand beaded evening dress. Boasts rich beautiful cobalt blue bugle beads all hand sewn atop black silk organza extending down to skirt featuring open work fringe to showcasing lots of leg. Dress is 1 piece with additional over top. The color is a very rich saturated cobalt blue so, in lighting, the beads twinkle, sparkle and shimmer. In addition, the striking deco style mimics that of 20’s expensive heavily beaded dresses...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- NWT Vionnet Runway Deco Inspired Sultry Black Dress GownBy VionnetLocated in Los Angeles, CAVionnet rich black deco inspired gown. Features bias cut full skirt accented with a panel of deep blue turquoise; Large flocked birds (possibly swallows) fashioned in velvet and strategically placed. V neck bodice with asymmetric inserted panel waistband; long wrist button sleeves. Thigh high slit. Size zipper closure. Note: If you recently watched Meghan Markle...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- NWT $10.5K Roberto Cavalli Cut-Out Beaded Tiger Print Gown DressBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Los Angeles, CARoberto Cavalli cut-out silk chiffon hand beaded tiger theme gown. All hand beaded in two tone beads. Alluring front and back cut-out detail. Features sl...Category
2010s Evening Gowns
- Saint Laurent Asymmetric Cut-Out Chiffon Overlay Gown DressBy Saint LaurentLocated in Los Angeles, CAA sexy Saint Laurent goddess gown designed with intricate cut-out panels and drape. Fashioned of black sheer chiffon anchored by a lined bodysuit that keeps the dress in place. Designed with hook and eye side closures. Asymmetric toga style long chiffon overlay...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- Jean Paul Gaultier Runway Red Hot Net Dress w/Thigh Hi SlitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Los Angeles, CASleek, sexy yet tasteful..... an evening dress by Jean Paul Gaultier. A minimalist style coupled with Gaultier's bold dramatic sculptural look. Shoulders are slightly raised, extende...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior Runway Gilded Butterfly Evening DressBy Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CAChristian Dior graphic butterfly silk dress as seen on the runway. Maria Grazia Chiuri referenced early Christian Dior’s archives which inspired her t...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- Paco Rabanne Haute Couture yellow ostrich feather mini dress, ss 1967By Paco RabanneLocated in London, GB▪ Paco Rabanne Haute Couture mini dress ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Museum piece ▪ Constructed from a latticework or plexiglass, ostri...Category
1960s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano 'Dolores' cyclamen pink bias-cut satin evening dress, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano showpiece flamenco-style evening dress ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ 'Dolores', Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Constructed from cyclamen pink bias-cut hammered...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- John Galliano 'Dolores' showpiece evening skirt suit, fw 1995By John GallianoLocated in London, GB▪ John Galliano showpiece evening skirt suit ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ 'Dolores', Fall-Winter 1995 ▪ Museum Grade ▪ Jacket constructed from Angora wool ▪ Voluminous ruffle...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk spandex and leather lace up dress, ss 2003By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana; black silk spandex figure hugging evening dress. - Lambskin leather grommet trim - Open on both sides with lace up fastenings - Invisible side zip closure ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano black waxed cotton opera coat, ss 1999By John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior opera coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Black waxed cotton ▪ Voluminous shape ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide sleeves ▪ Two ties at the back fasten to create a bustle ▪ F...Category
1990s French Coats and Outerwear
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery