- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
A Schiaparelli Printed Silk Blouse Dress Circa 2006-2012
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Equivalent French Size 36/38 (EU)
- Style:2006/2012 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent condition and Color.
- Seller Location:Toulon, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU63339711542
From her signature color Shocking Pink to her collaborations with Surrealist artists, the boldly original Elsa Schiaparelli transformed fashion from the late 1920s to the early ’50s. Experimenting with elements like trompe l’oeil images and colorful visible zippers, the Italian designer instilled a provocative avant-garde artistry in her clothing and accessories, including those created with Salvador Dalí, such as the lobster dress and a hat shaped like a shoe.
Born in Rome, Schiaparelli was a rebellious child who grew up among the city’s intellectual elite. She had a voracious appetite for reading and became interested in ancient cultures, astronomy and world religions. Schiaparelli studied philosophy at the University of Rome, and after publishing a collection of poems on love and sensuality that so mortified her conservative parents that they tried, unsuccessfully, to confine her to a Swiss convent, she left for London. A quick marriage to Count Wilhelm de Wendt de Kerlor brought her to New York, but it would be in Paris following her divorce that Schiaparelli embraced her artistic passions. She moved to the French capital city in 1922 with her young daughter and happened to meet master couturier Paul Poiret, who loaned the stylish Schiaparelli his clothes, sparking her own fashion interests.
Schiaparelli debuted her first collection of knitwear in 1927, and later that year, she designed a black-and-white pullover hand-knit wool sweater featuring a trompe l’oeil bowknot that captured the attention of the fashion world. Vogue called it “an artistic masterpiece.” The success led to her moving her house to 21 Place Vendôme in 1935 where thousands of garments were produced each year. Schiaparelli’s knitwear collections were later accompanied by revolutionary swimsuits and other clothing and accessories. Her inventive designs would include culottes — a radical statement in the 1930s when women still could cause a scandal by wearing pants — as well as printed fabric, such as the 1938 Tears dress with a print designed by Dalí making it appear as if the evening gown had been savagely ripped.
Schiaparelli was among the first designers to use materials like rayon and Lurex as well as explore wrap dresses and transparent raincoats. She also introduced unisex fragrances and brought her artistic partnerships into jewelry, such as bronze brooches made with Alberto Giacometti and fur-lined bracelets with Méret Oppenheim. As she wrote in her 1954 autobiography Shocking Life, women should “dare to be different.”
Despite her acclaim, her shop closed in 1954 after a tumultuous time during World War II. By then, fashion had moved on with Christian Dior's New Look, and the closure of Schiaparelli's business coincided with a comeback mounted by Coco Chanel, her archrival in the early days.
In 2006, Italian businessman Diego Della Valle acquired the brand and its archives, and the Maison Schiaparelli was reopened in 2012, back at 21 Place Vendôme where Schiaparelli's fearless and enduring work began.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- A French Chiné Silk Ball Gown Circa 1955Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1955 -1960 France Beautiful summer ball gown in taffeta mottled with large bunches of carnations (?) undulating, without claw and dating from the 1950s. Superb silk taffeta ...Category
1950s French Evening Dresses$1,180Free Shipping
- A Léonard Dress in Printed Silk Jersey French Circa 2000By LeonardLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2000 France Dress in silk jersey signed by Léonard from the early 2000s. Little summer dress in stretchy silk jersey printed with an impressionist color palette of pale pink, ...Category
Early 2000s French Aesthetic Day Dresses$550Free Shipping
- An Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Evening Dress - Spring Summer 1978By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 1978 Collection France Beautiful Antique printed silk long evening dress by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche from the 1978 Collection. Peplum dress with asymmetrical tr...Category
1970s French Maxi Dresses$3,259Free Shipping
- A French Printed Chiffon Couture Dress Circa 1930/1940Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1930/1940 France An Anonymous Haute Couture shawl and dress in silk crepe printed voile with fruit in shades of pink, orange and brown dating from the years 1930/1940. Tubular...Category
1930s French Evening Dresses$1,461Free Shipping
- A Pierre Balmain woollen Couture Dress Numbered 182888 - Spring Summer 1963By Pierre BalmainLocated in Toulon, FRSpring Summer 1963 France A Pierre Balmain dress in cream wool jersey from the 1960s. Sleeveless dress with straight cut tightened at the waist with loose effect. At the front, ther...Category
1960s French Casual Dresses$1,067Free Shipping
- Ceremonial Crinoline Dress, Mantilla and Manilla Shawl - Spain Circa 1860Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1860 Spain Spanish festive costume composed of a brocaded silk moire crinoline dress, a black velvet mantilla embroidered with jet pearls and a cream silk crepe embroidered sh...Category
1860s Spanish Maxi Dresses$2,472Free Shipping
- An Elsa Schiaparelli Woolen Embroidered Couture Evening Coat - France Circa 1939By Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1938/1940 Paris France An Elsa Schiaparelli (attributed to) long black woolen coat embroidered by the Maison Lesage with large baroque volute patterns from the shoulders to th...Category
1930s French Dolman Sleeve Coats$15,736Free Shipping
- Black chiné Elsa Schiaparelli 1940's skirt -suitBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack with white chiné wool skirt-suit. Interesting collar effect like a tie. Black silk lining ( jacket only) with Schiaparelli's signatureCategory
1940s Unknown Skirt Suits
- c1939 Schiaparelli Attributes Chas A Stevens Red Wool Princess Evening Coat XS SLocated in Thiensville, WIStriking circa 1939 red wool princess cut evening coat purchased at Chas. A. Stevens & Co. Attributes of Elsa Schiaparelli's work. High collar and two small chest pockets are embelli...Category
- Rare Schiaparelli Black Quilted Faille Evening Cape, 1951By House of SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYRare Schiaparelli Haute Couture Mandarin Black Quilted Faille Cape, 1951 Amazingly chic and modern quilted silk faille Haute Couture cape by Elsa Schiaparelli from the 1950's. M...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco CapesPrice Upon Request
- Vintage 1950's Elsa Schiaparelli Documented Sequin Blowfish Bamboo Cane PurseBy Schiaparelli, Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous and incredibly unique Elsa Schiaparelli sequin blowfish cane purse dating back to the early 1950's. Fashioned from rich red vinyl bubble covered in black knit with serpent...Category
1950s French Novelty Bags
- 1980 Schiaparelli Black & Gold Woodgrain Velvet Side Tie Opera Coat or DressBy House of SchiaparelliLocated in San Francisco, CAA 1980s Schiaparelli label, black and gold lame "woodgrained" velvet opera coat-dress with a side faux bow tie closure at neckline. Unlined with interior bias tape finished seams. A ...Category
1980s French Opera Coats
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Neoprene Asymmetric DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Neoprene Asymmetric Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 10.23 inches (26 cm) Bust: 16.14 inches (41 cm) Wais...Category
20th Century French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- 1960s Maggy Rouff Pink Silk DressBy Maggy RouffLocated in Paris, FRMaggy Rouff pink silk dress featuring a white ribbon detail, a center back zip opening, a silk lining. Label: Maggy Rouff - 14 Avenue Montaigne Paris, circa 1968/1970 Estimated size...Category
1960s French Cocktail Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Paisley Jacquard Knit Sleeveless Fitted Cocktail Dress Size 42By Roberto CavalliLocated in Paradise Island, BSThis Roberto Cavalli sleeveless cocktail dress features a vibrant orange and blue paisley print, a V-neckline, and a fitted silhouette with a trumpet hem. It is the perfect dress for...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns$896 Sale Price25% Off
- Roberto Cavalli Paisley Jacquard Knit Sleeveless Fitted Cocktail Dress Size 40By Roberto CavalliLocated in Paradise Island, BSThis Roberto Cavalli sleeveless cocktail dress features a vibrant orange and blue paisley print, a V-neckline, and a fitted silhouette with a trumpet hem. It is the perfect dress for...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns$971 Sale Price25% Off
- Moschino Dress in Size 38By MoschinoLocated in PARIS, FRMoschino Dress Good condition, shows light signs of use and wear Size: FR38 Packaging: Opulence Vintage dust bag Additional information: Designer: Moschino Dimensions: Width 38 cm ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vigo Magistretti for Cassina Sofa in Dark Grey UpholsteryBy Cassina, Vico MagistrettiLocated in Waalwijk, NLVico Magistretti for Cassina, two-seater sofa, model 'Veranda', fabric, aluminum, Italy, 1983. Beautiful esthetically balanced two-seater sofa designed by Vico Magistretti for Cas...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Post-Modern SofasMaterials
- Hermes Rare Special Order 35cm Harlequin BirkinBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes rare harlequin Birkin. 35cm. Constructed with clemence leather in six colors (ultra violet, etain, bleu lin, bleu obscur, etoupe, gold) and palladium hardware. Handle drop, 4....Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Cartier 18K Two-Tone Gold BangleBy CartierLocated in Houston, TXCartier bangle bracelet in 18K white and yellow gold. This bracelet is marked "Cartier 707194". The inside diameter of the round bangle is 2 3/8 inches and it is 1/4 inch wide. Sl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French BanglesMaterials
18k Gold, Gold$4,950Free Shipping
- YAYOI KUSAMA - Pumpkin Soft Sculpture Large. Contemporary, Modern art, DotsBy Yayoi KusamaLocated in Madrid, MadridSOFT SCULPTURE PUMPKIN (RED LARGE) Date of creation: 2018 Medium: Soft Sculpture made of Parachute nylon Edition: Open Size: 35 x 55 cm Observations: These pumpkin shaped items by Ya...Category
2010s Other Art Style Still-life SculpturesMaterials
- Warren Platner for Knoll Mid-Century Dining ChairBy Warren Platner, KnollLocated in Countryside, ILWarren Platner for Knoll mid-century dining chair. This chair measures: 27.25 wide x 21 deep x 29 inches high, with a seat height of 18 and arm height/chair clearance of 25 inches...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
The Met’s Latest Blockbuster Tells a Powerful Story through 230 Jewels
A captivating show at the Manhattan museum explores how jewelry has ornamented the body through the millennia — and redefines it as high art.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery