Vintage 1968 Christian Dior Couture London Stripe Silk Pleated Drop-Waist Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Bust: 34 in (86.36 cm)Waist: 26 in (66.04 cm)Hip: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Style:1960s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Silk, Pleatwork
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3092486411
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 1969 Mila Schön Italian Couture Black Purple Wool Mod Target Coat DressBy Mila SchonLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn important and truly stunning Mila Schön Couture black and purple mod coat dress dating back to her 1968-69 fall/winter collection. She was living in Milan with her husband when sh...Category
1960s Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1973 Pierre Balmain Haute Couture Navy Silk Pleated Petal Collar GownBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Beverly Hills, CAUltra chic modernist Pierre Balmain haute couture navy blue gown dating back to the 1973 fall-winter collection. Pierre Balmain worked under Robert Pigi...Category
1970s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1930's Black Floral Print Silk Satin Tiered Bias-Cut Hourglass Deco GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn extraordinarily stunning and exceptional 1930's black floral print liquid silk satin bias-cut gown. Old Hollywood glamour at it's finest! The bodice has the most flattering gather...Category
1930s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1970's Jean Varon Green Graphic Floral Print Pleated Tiered Halter DressBy Jean VaronLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous graphic green print dress, dating back to the early 1970's, by the famous Jean Varon label. John Bates started the Jean Varon label in 196...Category
1970s English Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Madame Grès Haute Couture Sculpted Silk Back-Bow Dress & JacketBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibly rare Madame Grès haute couture sculpted black silk dress ensemble dating back to the early 1950's. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning set has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. The alluring bodice has a low-cut scoop neck with flattering short sleeves. My favorite designer element is the dramatic back bow with chic cut-out. The matching jacket has a shawl-like front with a stunning cropped back. I'd wear the jacket alone with other looks for a unique bolero option. The sculpted panel style skirting ,which looks incredibly hard to mold, reads so fresh to the modern eye...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1950s Iridescent Gunmetal Silk-Taffeta Beaded Rhinestone Hourglass DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CAStunning 1950's gunmetal silver bombshell custom cocktail dress from the Old Hollywood era of glamour! The bodice is an alluring low plunge shelf-bust bow that falls into a heavily-s...Category
1950s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
- CHANEL Avantgardistic Black Ruched Knit Dress 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHLovely new interpretation of the timeless Chanel classic little black dress A true Chanel signature piece that will last for many years Wonderful knit "Chanel" logo plate on hip Simp...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Informal Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.