- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage 2006 Versace Runway Finale Champagne Sequin Silk Hourglass Halter Gown
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 59 in (149.86 cm)Marked Size: 40 (EU)Waist: 26 in (66.04 cm)
- Style:Documented Runway (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU30914819142
Subversive, maximalist and unabashedly seductive, Gianni Versace’s (1946–97) designs infused high fashion with an entirely new ethos. “I don’t believe in good taste,” the legendary Italian couturier once explained. Instead, he had a sexy good time with fashion — as he did with life. Today, vintage Versace clothing, handbags and other accessories look astonishingly fresh and freshly relevant.
More than any designer before him, Versace mined celebrity, music and Pop art for inspiration. In fact, the New York Times noted in 1997 that the fashion industry “is now driven by contemporary culture because Mr. Versace made it that way.” Insiders consider his 1991/1992 Autumn/Winter runway show — which featured supermodels Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista lip-synching George Michael’s “Freedom! '90” — as the moment when the two worlds of fashion and pop culture became one, changing both forever.
Versace was born in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. His mother was a successful dressmaker who employed more than 40 seamstresses. As a child, little Gianni marveled at her workshop, which would become a university of sorts, where he learned the exceptional construction techniques that were at the foundation of his creative expression. In 1972, at age 25, he moved to Milan to work in fashion. He launched his first collection — and his label — in 1978, with his older brother Santo managing the business concerns. Soon, sister Donatella, whom Gianni dressed and took to discos when she was still a child, joined the family venture, where she had a creative role and managed enormously popular ready-to-wear lines such as Versus.
Vintage Versace has become catnip for modern fashion enthusiasts who seek out the now-iconic house codes that originated in the designs of the 1980s and 1990s. His glamorous and seductive apparel — the clingy skirts and slender, strappy party dresses, as well as the erotic magazine ads that publicized them — looms large, but Versace’s art and historical influences were also vast.
Versace was an art collector, and he took on commissions to create costumes for theatrical performances during the 1980s and spoke of looking to numerous cultures for inspiration. This adventurous spirit of design resulted in his creating jewel-toned prints rooted in Grecian motifs, Etruscan symbols, the Italian Baroque and Andy Warholʼs Marilyn Monroe. There were slinky dresses in Oroton, his patented chain-mail textile that draped like satin, and leather bondage ensembles. Sex sold, for both women and men. Wrote the late curator Richard Martin, “[Versace] became the standard-bearer of gay men’s fashion because he eschewed decorum and designed for desire.”
Following Versace’s tragic murder in 1997, Donatella took over the role of artistic director and continued to evolve the house codes with a twist of her feminine and feminist perspective. Today, Santo Versace is chief executive officer of Versace and Donatella is its chief creative officer.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Vintage 2005 Versace Couture Runway Hot Pink Beaded Stretch Silk High-Low GownBy Donatella Versace for Gianni Versace, VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn absolutely gorgeous spring-summer 2005 Versace runway documented hot-pink gown that originally retailed for over $20,000. Versace is one of the world's leading international fashi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 2004 Versace Couture Worn by Actress Melanie Griffith Ombré Silk GownBy VersaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThe first Versace boutique was opened in 1978 and its popularity was immediate. Today, Versace is one of the world's leading international fashion houses. Gianni Versace redefined fa...Category
Early 2000s Italian Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1970s Ivory Mixed Lace Sheer Cotton Bohemian Flutter-Sleeve Bridal GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAAn ethereal 1970's British custom couture ivory gown that effortlessly mixes the bohemian vibe with 1930's Old Hollywood glamour. I definitely think this beauty would make an epic br...Category
1970s English Vintage Bridal Gowns
- Vintage 1950's Traina-Norell Couture Watercolor Iris Floral Print Satin DressBy Traina-NorellLocated in Beverly Hills, CAThis exquisite Traina-Norell designer dress exemplifies their signature blend of couture-level quality with quintessentially American style— elegant in its simplicity. The gorgeous g...Category
1950s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Vintage 1970 Guy Laroche Couture Embroidered Silk Billow Sleeve Plunge GownBy Guy LarocheLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous Guy Laroche Haute Couture numbered silk-chiffon gown dating back to his romantic 1970 spring-summer collection. Guy Laroche was an assistant to the famous Jean Desses before...Category
1970s French Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1950s Emma Domb Grey Chartreuse Floral Print Cotton Strapless Sun DressBy Emma DombLocated in Beverly Hills, CAWith its stunning grey chartreuse watercolor floral print cotton and flawless "new look" silhouette, this Emma Domb dress has the casual elegance the 1950's were known for. The artis...Category
1950s American Aesthetic Day Dresses
- UNWORN Pink Versace Asymmetric Draped Goddess Engagement Evening Gown Dress 38By VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous blush pink evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Asymmetric style Beautiful draped details Silk trail on side and back Closes with a hidd...Category
Early 2000s Italian Wedding Dresses$1,999 Sale Price42% Off
- John Galliano yellow silk chiffon bias-cut slip-dress, ss 1993By John GallianoLocated in London, GBJohn Galliano yellow silk chiffon bias-cut slip-dress with plunging back, spaghetti straps and pointed trained hem. 'Filibustiers' collection, Spring-Summer 1993Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- UNWORN Versace 2003 Nude Silk Georgette Lace Up Gown Dress 40 seen on BellaBy VersaceLocated in Switzerland, CHGorgeous nude evening gown inspired by the Grecian goddesses by VERSACE Fall 2003/2004 Collection One of the most famous Versace dresses ever created by Versace - worn by topmodels, ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Ball Gowns
- Giorgio Armani Strapless White and Silver Lace GownBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Giorgio Armani Strapless white and silver lace gown with iridescent beads. Lace has beautiful silver grey embroidery. Perfect for bridal gown. Fit size : Medium Bust: 40”/ ...Category
1990s Italian Wedding Dresses
- Vintage Valentino SS01 nude cut out sheer sequin embellished plunging dress gownBy ValentinoLocated in Paris, FRA very rare Vintage Valentino floor length gown from their Spring Summer 2001 Collection (Look 81) Please note that the commercial version of this dress was made without the ruffles ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses
- VERSACE BAROQUE MEDUSA PRINTED STRETCH JERSEY MINI Dress 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Barocco print draped knit dress Draped collar Sleeveless Gold-colored metal Medusa buckle shoulder straps Logo details All over print placement may vary Lined Content: 1...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses
- F/ 2020 Look# 84 VERSACE VIRTUS ANIMALIER BEAD EMBELLISHED MINI DRESS 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Collection Fall 2020 Look# 84 As seen on Kaia Gerber and Kendall Jenner Black with orange stripe pattern. Gold crystal and black bead embellishment throughout. Fully she...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses$6,600 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 2011 Look # 36 Versace Crepe Nude Dress 40 - 4/6By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVersace Crepe Nude Dress. It has a waistline modeling, cutouts in guipure lace in hollow arabesque, single shoulder with medium thickness strap, side invisible zipper closure and hoo...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses$2,300 Sale Price20% Off
- VERSACE SAVAGE BAROCCO PRINT KNIT DRESS In Yellow 40 - 4By VersaceLocated in Montgomery, TXVERSACE Donatella pays tribute to her late brother Gianni Versace by bringing his original designs back to the forefront of the label. Archival prints, iconic motifs and retro-...Category
2010s Italian Day Dresses$2,831 Sale Price25% Off
- Versace F/W 2004 Runway velvet bodycon Silver dress (New with tags)By Donatella Versace, VersaceLocated in Rome, ITVersace grey velvet bodycon dress with form-fitting ruches from Donatella Versace’s Fall/Winter 2004 “Punk” collection (worn by Caroline Winberg). Embellished with silver studs all o...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Versace Lavender Wool DressBy VersaceLocated in Paris, FRVersace lavender wool knitted dress featuring a knitted style, a turtle neck, long sleeves, an a-line shape, a pleated skirt, ribbed details and a short length. In excellent conditi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery