Vintage Halston Breathtaking Documented Ombre Avant Garde Silk Dress
View Similar Items
Vintage Halston Breathtaking Documented Ombre Avant Garde Silk Dress
About the Manufacturer
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
Today, Halston’s designs can be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and more.
Find vintage Halston clothing and fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Beautiful 1960s 60s Gino Charles Beaded Raw Silk Taupe A - Line Vintage DressBy Gino CharlesLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing, and so beautiful 1960s Gino Charles, for I Magnin taupe raw silk dress! Stunning coral beaded neckline, with functional horn buttons up the bodice. POCKETS at both sides of ...Category
1960s American Cocktail Dresses
- Bob Mackie For Neiman Marcus Important Cotton Plaid 50s Style Vintage DressBy Bob MackieLocated in San Diego, CAImportant Bob Mackie late 70s/early 80s dress! From the era of Mackie's 'hype,' this dress mirrors his femininity, and attention to detail. Cotton layers of plaid, with an attached b...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses$772 Sale Price20% Off
- 1990s CD Green Ivory Grey Silver Silk Jersey Chiffon Beaded Paillettes 90s GownBy CD GREENELocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage late 90s CD GREENE ivory, grey/silver silk jersey and chiffon evening dress ! Features a blouson loose fitting chiffon overlay with hook-and-eye closure at center b...Category
1990s American Evening Gowns
- Michael Kors Collection Size 6 / 8 Navy Blue and White Gingham Puff Sleeve DressBy Michael KorsLocated in San Diego, CAChic MICHAEL KORS COLLECTION navy blue and white gingham checkered puff sleeve nautical dress ! 98% Cotton 2% Spandex. Features allover navy blue and white gingham throughout the e...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Giorgio di Sant Angelo White Beaded Rhinestone Vintage 80s Bodycon DressBy Giorgio di Sant' AngeloLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage 80s GIROGIO di SANT ANGELO white beaded and rhinestone encrusted bodycon dress ! Features a white lace rayon fabric with thousands of hand-sewn sequins, rhinestones...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- Chic 1970s 70s Black + Silver Metallic Crochet Floral Print Vintage Maxi DressLocated in San Diego, CAChic 70s vintage maxi dress! Silver and black metallic maxi skirt, with printed hibiscus flowers throughout. Blak crochet bodice, with attached...Category
1970s Maxi Dresses$360 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Raffia Knit Crochet Nautical Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Bust: 14.17 inches (36 cm) w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Trompe L'Oeil Sheer Tuxedo Print Mesh Maxi Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.77 inches (35 cm) not stre...Category
1990s French Maxi Dress
- Vintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal DressBy Romeo GigliLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage ROMEO GIGLI Ecru Lace with Wide Belt Long Formal Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 12.60 i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Bridesmaids Dresses
- Vintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline DressBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage THIERRY MUGLER Jeweled Cut Out Neckline Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 15.35 inches (39 cm...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron ZigZag Crochet Knit Dress with Leather Belt 42By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful MISSONI dress MISSONI Main line Signature MISSONI chevron signature knit Simply slips on Crochet-knit details - so beautiful! Dry Clean only Made in Italy Size 42 Comes wit...Category
2010s Evening Dresses$499 Sale Price70% Off
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron Zigzag Knit Wrap Style Dress 40By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful multicolor shades Classic MISSONI signature zigzag knit Simply slips on Wrap style Dry Clean only Made in Italy Size 40 Unworn Please refer to celebrity and AD / runway pi...Category
2010s Italian Informal Dresses$899 Sale Price40% Off
Recently ViewedView More
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery