2003 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Pink Ruffle Jacket + Skirt Suit Ensemble YSL
About the Item
- Dimensions:Depth: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)Length: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)Marked Size: Large (US)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)Hip: 38 in (96.52 cm)
- Style:Gucci (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Sparks, NV
- Reference Number:Seller: 1D-21911stDibs: LU38620361872
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sparks, NV
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Rare 1980s Vintage Fringe Leather Acid Washed Denim Jean Jacket + Skirt EnsembleLocated in Sparks, NVIconic 1980s vintage acid washed jean jacket and matching skirt ensemble with genuine pink leather detailing with studs, beads and fringe. The jacket is unlined with front snap clos...Category
1980s American Jackets
- 1970s Bill Blass Vintage Silk 4-Piece Jacket + Skirt Suit Dress EnsembleBy Bill BlassLocated in Sparks, NVAbsolutely stunning 4-piece ensemble by Bill Blass that can be worn separately or together. This set is constructed entirely of silk and features origami pleated ruffles and a detach...Category
1970s American Jackets
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Vintage Black Neoprene Scuba Jacket + Skirt EnsembleBy Christian LacroixLocated in Sparks, NVFantastic vintage 1990s neoprene skirt and jacket ensemble by Christian Lacroix. Shiny black scuba fabric is black on the exterior and orange on the inside. Wear together as an ensem...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Alaia Vintage Two-Tone Barbie Pink Pleated Knit Sweater Mini SkirtBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Sparks, NVIncredible vintage Alaia skirt in two tone pink! Pleated detail with hand stitching on the reverse side of the knit. Front hook closure. Unlined. The fabric content is 70% wool, 22% ...Category
1990s French Pleated Skirts
- 1950s Couture Vintage Silk + Wool Hand Woven Pleated SkirtLocated in Sparks, NVIncredible vintage couture hand-woven skirt with petal pleats and a tiny nipped waist. Unique cut with a New Look silhouette. This skirt came from a very high end estate which featur...Category
1950s French Skirts
- Prada Black + Navy Blue Color Block A-Line Skirt in a size 42By PradaLocated in Sparks, NVPrada A-line color block skirt with a subtle navy blue bottom panel. Details: Unlined Back Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size: 42 Estimated Size: Medium Color: Black/ Navy Blue Fabr...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Pleated Skirts
- Pierre Balmain red Silk jacket and pleated skirt suit Ensemble, Circa 1950By Pierre BalmainLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1950 France Ensemble jacket and pleated skirt suit in red. Silk blouse with checkered pattern in red and green with white background, sleeveless. Two level of ruffle scarf c...Category
1950s French Pleated Skirts
- 1970s Lanvin Blue Geometric Wool Pleated SkirtBy Jeanne Lanvin, Lanvin ParisLocated in Paris, FR1970s Lanvin blue wool pleated skirt featuring a geometric motive, a side zipped opening, a side button, a plain blue waistband, a mid-length. Composition...Category
1970s French Pleated Skirts
- Vintage Prada Runway grey patchwork fur skirt, Fall 1999By Miuccia Prada, PradaLocated in New York, NYPrada Fall/Winter 1999 Runway Collection Collector’s Archive Prada fur a-line skirt from the runway collection. Gorgeous, timeless winter piece for any chic capsule wardrobe. Grey d...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Gianni Versace vintage leather skirt, 1990sLocated in New York, NYGianni Versace vintage quilted leather skirt with rhinestones Knee-length, fully lined, back zip fastening Size – IT 42 / S-M Waist – 55 cm Length – 68 cm Hips – 92 cm Condition...Category
Early 2000s Pencil Skirts
- Dries Van Noten Skirt with SlipBy Dries van NotenLocated in Waterford, MIBlack maxi skirt with white dettachable slip. Read zipper closure. Back slit. Wool. Made in Belgium. *Condition: Excellent vintage condition. No visible flaws. Measurements Taken L...Category
Early 2000s Skirts