Chanel jacket in tweed 1990s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 28.75 in (73 cm)Marked Size: 38FR (EU)
- Style:1990s (Of the Period)
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: FV1701stDibs: LU3536219429932
Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel
More than a mere tastemaker, Karl Lagerfeld devoted himself to the continual pursuit of chic. “My life and my job,” the designer once said, “is to forget myself.” From his first collection at Chanel — after joining the brand in the early 1980s — he injected the venerable house with a frisson of modernity. Vintage Karl Lagerfeld designs for Chanel handbags, evening dresses, coats, jewelry and other clothing and accessories riffed on its iconography — tweed skirt suits, pearls, camellias — accenting a lexicon of Chanel-isms with tastes of the moment.
During his five-decade career as a designer for Chanel, Fendi, Chloé and many others, Lagerfeld was a quintessential chameleon, ever evolving to embody the times. An outsize, instantly recognizable personality — his ponytail powdered like an 18th-century viscount, his eyes perpetually shielded by dark glasses, wearing fistfuls of chunky silver jewels — Lagerfeld was, above all, an avatar of style.
Born in Hamburg (in 1933, ’35, or ’38 by varying accounts), Karl Lagerfeld packed his bags for Paris in 1954. His design for a coat won him the International Wool Secretariat and landed him a job with the celebrated couturier Pierre Balmain. He went on to become the designer of Jean Patou, eventually realizing that his seemingly endless ideas could fuel a career as a designer-for-hire. As such, Lagerfeld lent his vision to everyone from Loewe and Max Mara to Krizia and Charles Jourdan, nimbly moving among a diverse range of styles. It was an unprecedented way of working in the days when freelance was still a dirty word. During the late ’60s and ’70s, he refashioned Chloé to reflect the free spirit of the day and, beginning in 1965, joined forces with the Fendi family, taking it from sleepy furrier to fashion’s haute-est stratum.
Because of his track record for reviving and reimagining brands that had grown stagnant, in 1984 Lagerfeld was handed the reins at Chanel, which had been gathering dust since its founder’s heyday. Lagerfeld’s collections for the brand displayed his knack for synthesizing old and new, high and low. From Watteau (Spring/Summer 1985 couture) and Serge Roche (Spring/Summer 1990 ready-to-wear) to hip-hop fly girls (Fall/Winter 1991 ready-to-wear), surfers (Spring/Summer 2003 ready-to-wear) and ancient Egypt (Pre-Fall 2019), Lagerfeld used each season’s inspiration to conceive Chanel’s signatures anew. And despite producing eight collections a year for Chanel, as well as four to five for Fendi, Lagerfeld never faltered in proposing new ideas each time he put pencil to paper.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Christian Dior jacket 2005By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDIOR - (Made in France) Silk blend jacket and jeans. Size 40FR. Spring/Summer 2005 collection. Condition : Very good condition Dimensions : Shoulder width: 40 cm - Chest: 43 cm - ...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Christian Dior jacket Spring-Summer 2011By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDIOR - (Made in France) Silk and linen jacket, silk lining. Size 42FR. Spring/Summer 2011 collection. Condition : Very good condition Dimensions : Chest : 46 cm - Length : 56 cmCategory
2010s French Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent jacket in golden leatherBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRYVES SAINT LAURENT RIVE GAUCHE - (Made in France) Jacket in quilted golden leather and black cotton lining. Size 40FR. Piece from the beginning of the 1...Category
1990s French JacketsFree Shipping
- Valentino Haute Couture kimonos double jackets 1990By Valentino CoutureLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRVALENTINO - Kimono-style double jackets in topstitched silk. Haute Couture piece Fall-Winter 1990/91 collection. No size nor composition label, they fit a 40FR. Condition: Very goo...Category
1990s French VestsFree Shipping
- Dolce & Gabbana Lamé Silk and Lamé Jacket Sewn with BeadsBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDolce & Gabbana -(Made in Italy) Silk and lamé jacket sewn with beads and rhinestones. Size 40IT. To note, presence of a stain on the lining. Additional information: Dimensions: S...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Hermes Viscose Cardigan/ VestBy HermèsLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRHermès -(Made in Italy) Viscose cardigan. Size 34. Dimensions: Shoulder width: 38 cm Length: 93 cm Condition: Very good condition Seller Ref number: FH27Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Jean Louis Scherrer Vintage Silk Tweed & Leather JacketBy Jean-Louis ScherrerLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn excellent vintage Jean Louis Scherrer jacket, made from a silk and wool tweed and brown leather. Perfect for spring, this blazer style jacket zips up the front. Size: Marked EU 4...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Texere Lebole Vintage 70s Mens Wide Collar Lapels Blazer Jacket, Early 1970sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage mens blazer jacket / sport coat from the early 70s by Italian textile company, Texere for Lebole. In a synthetic fabric with a...Category
- Fendissime by Fendi Vintage Light Blue Ruffled Denim Vest Sleeveless JacketBy Fendissime, FendiLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn amazing vintage womens sleeveless denim jacket from the 90s by luxury Italian fashion house, Fendi for their Fendissime line. In a light blue denim with beautiful seams that gives...Category
- Vintage y2k Fuchsia Pink Suede Laser Cut Out Womens Biker Jacket, 2000sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage womens jacket from the late 90s / early 2000s in a fuchsia suede with incredible circular laser cut outs throughout...Category
Early 2000s Coats
- Helen Anderson Vintage 80s Black Crepe Shoulder Pads Tassel Blazer Jacket, 1980sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA classy vintage womens jacket from the 80s by luxury British fashion designer, Helen Anderson. In a black wool blend crepe with shoulder pads, a beaded...Category
1980s English Jackets
- Loro Piana Pink Wool The Gift Of Kings Braidon Jacket MBy Loro PianaLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Infuse an extra dose of style into your outfit with this highly fashionable jacket. Tailored from quality materials, it embodies a contemporary vibe and is filled with functional cha...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
How the Chanel Jacket Forever Changed What Women Wear
The classic tweed garment has been a wardrobe staple of chic women around the world since the 1950s.
Remembering Fashion Designer, Collector and Supreme Tastemaker Karl Lagerfeld
The creative force behind brands like Chanel, Fendi and Chloé was as exacting in his interiors as he was in his clothing designs.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery