- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior by John Galliano burgundy wool crop jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: 36F (EU)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:wool, silk, mongolian fur
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4261651023
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage John Galliano evening dresses and gowns, handbags, jackets and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1970s CHRISTIAN DIOR Pink Mosaic Checkered Print Silk jacquared CoatBy Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage 1970s Christian Dior Light Pink mosaic checkered print silk jacquard coat. 2 oversized pockets and silk belt. Coat lined in silk. Size: Mediu...Category
1970s French Coats and Outerwear$1,160 Sale Price20% Off
- 1970s Christian Dior Couture Black and White Checkered Jacket and skirt setBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChic 1976 Christian Dior Couture black and white checkered over coat tent jacket and pencil skirt. Jacket has no closure with 2 oversized pocket with inverted pleats. Jacket and skir...Category
1970s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Christian Dior Grey Silk Pant and Crop Silk JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChristian dior by John Galliano up side down Jacket and pant set with silk tie. This is a runway sample. Very Rare and its one of the kinds Jacket is lined in silk. Jacket measuremen...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- 90s ISSEY MIYAKE jacketBy Issey MiyakeLocated in Beverly Hills, CA90s ISSEY MIYAKE brown jacket. measurement taken when jacket is buttoned. B: 36"/ W: 28" / H: 32" / L: 35"Category
1990s Japanese Jackets$1,100 Sale Price21% Off
- Junya Watanabe Black Deconstructed Leather VestBy Junya WatanabeLocated in Beverly Hills, CAJunya Watanabe Avant Garde Black japaDeconstructed Leather Vest with zipper and belt. Marked size: small. fit US 2/4/6Category
2010s Japanese Vests
- Christian Dior Black Leather Peplum Jacket with LaceLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful Christian Dior by John Galliano Black leather peplum jacket with lace. zipper. Size 4-6 US/ F38 /42ItalianCategory
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk evening dress and cocoon coat set, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior evening dress and coat set ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Red and cream floral printed evening dress with train ▪ Red silk jacquard reversible cocoon coat ▪ Persian lamb collar ▪ Gold metal chain fringes...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red croc-embossed lambskin leather coat, fw 2005By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior red croc-embossed lambskin leather coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Double-breasted ▪ Large logo etched buttons ▪ Silk lining ▪ FR 40 - UK 12 - US 8 ▪ Fall-Winte...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- John Galliano for Christian Dior S/S 2004 Mixed Print Silk Slip DressBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous silk dress from John Galliano for Christian Dior in a pink, green and off white mixed pattern of elaborate paisleys and abstract shapes. The slip style dress has spaghetti...Category
1990s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior Haute Couture Matrix Collection Skirt Automne Hiver 1999-2000By John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYUnique waxed cotton and leather "skirt" by John Galliano for Christian Dior Haute Couture. The collection from which this "skirt" derives from was presented at Versailles. Guests were transported from the Ave. Montaigne store to Versailles on a perfect summer day via Dior Shuttles which felt like a fashion camping trip. Upon arriving, guests (ourselves included) were ushered into one of the many massive mirrored halls with an mile long undulating podium covered in slick white laminate. Tiny french ballroom...Category
Late 20th Century French Skirts
- Atelier Versace Haute Couture magenta pink lace evening dress and purse, ss 1996By Atelier Versace, Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Atelier Versace Haute Couture magenta pink lace evening dress and purse ▪ Corseted bodice with a built-in bodysuit ▪ Silk criss-cross shoulder straps with crystal-encrusted Medusa's ▪ Fishtail trained skirt ▪ Metallic lace with silk underlay ▪ Sold with matching lace purse...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red floor-length dress and fur snood, fw 1999By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior black and red floor-length dress and snood ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Vertical fringe stripes ▪ Rabbit-fur snood ▪ Figure-hugging ...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Christian Dior by John Galliano lavender crochet lace maxi dress, ss 2000By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior maxi dress ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Lavender viscose crochet lace ▪ Canary yellow zigzag stitch trimmings ▪ Figure hugging ▪ Rayon-knit underdress attached ...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- F/W 1997 Tom Ford by Gucci Runway Baby Blue Fox Fur Chubby Museum CoatBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: one of Tom Ford's most lusted-after designs during his tenure at the house of Gucci. Recently seen on Rihanna during her birthday celebrations in London! This o...Category
1990s Italian Jackets$26,200 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Lace-up Leather JacketBy John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous soft fine black leather jacket by John Galliano for Christian Dior. It has elaborate lacing detail along the entire length of the jacket on either side of the center fron...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Christian Dior By John Galliano Zip-Detailed Cropped Jacket, Spring-Summer 2001By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Geneva, CHFrom the iconic John Galliano years for Christian Dior, this SS2001 Dior jacket is exposing multiple zippers. The one around the waist and another one around the collar allows you to play with the design of the jacket. For example, pictures 14, 15 and 16 show the jacket with the hem and the collar unzipped/removed. Every zip is finished with the recognizable "D" from Dior pull...Category
Early 2000s French Cropped Jackets
- Christian Dior John Galliano Denim Jacket 2006By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Carmel by the Sea, CAChristian Dior Boutique jacket, from the Fall 2006 Ready-to-Wear, is featured in distressed blackened cream overlay washed denim with...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- GIVENCHY Couture A/W 1996 JOHN GALLIANO Black Wool Bow Detail Cropped JacketBy Givenchy, John GallianoLocated in Thiensville, WIGivenchy Couture Autumn/Winter 1996 black wool bow detail cropped jacket. Runway look #3 designed by John Galliano. Mandarin collar. Open front. Jagged "saw tooth" detail at front of...Category
1990s French Cropped Jackets$872 Sale Price40% Off
- Galliano Waistcoat with Ombre Beaded Cuffs and Inner Attached Vest, Spring 2011By John GallianoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMen's black long jacket by John Galliano Features a mock vest with button closure attached inside to create layering effect Ombre beading on sleeves Rayon blend similar to a heavy wo...Category
- JOHN GALLIANO 44 Black on Black Checkered Wool Scarf Collar Tuxedo Sport CoatBy John GallianoLocated in San Francisco, CAJOHN GALLIANO Tuxedo Sport Coat comes in a black on black checkered wool material, with a grey scarf collar, a draped detail at inner collar, slit pockets, a single button at closure...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$635 Sale Price20% Off
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Hans Olsen, Frem RøjleLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket, fw 1997By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide cropped sleeves appearing as a cape from the b...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Mick Jagger with a Guitar, Black & White Photography, Fine Art Print, SignedBy Dominique TarléLocated in Los Angeles, CA31.5 x 23.6 in (50 x 60 cm) Silver Gelatin Print Edition of 50 Price does not include tax.Category
1970s Black and White PhotographyMaterials
- Gio Ponti F.A. 33 Medium Mirror in Black BrassBy Gio Ponti, GubiLocated in Glendale, CAGio Ponti F.A. 33 medium mirror in black brass. The F.A. 33 Mirror was originally designed by Gio Ponti in 1933 for Fontana Arte, the period’s most prominent lamp, glass, and mirror ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
Brass$1,499 / item
- 19th Century Chinese Cloisonné Fu DogsLocated in Houston, TXAn exceptional palatial quality pair of 19th century Chinese cloisonné Fu dogs featuring gold gilding over copper. Chinese cloiso...Category
Antique 1890s Chinese Chinese Export MetalworkMaterials
Copper, Enamel$85,000 / set
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery