- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Christian Dior by John Galliano Lace-up Leather Jacket
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Water Mill, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Givenchy and Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior, where he produced scores of celebrated looks for Dior Haute Couture. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
- Christian Dior Houndstooth Coat 1950sBy Christian Dior, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful off white and navy wool hounds tooth print wool coat by Christian Dior. It has a lapel collar, princess seaming for a great flattering fit and 2 front button flap patch ...Category
1950s French Coats and Outerwear
- John Galliano New Runway Skirt Suit with Elaborate Jacket 1990sBy John GallianoLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous black wool suit with a twist by John Galliano. It consist of a hip length single breasted jacket with small lapels and beautiful thatched detail at the upper jacket inclu...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Scuba Hoodie JacketBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous black polyurethane jacket from Jean Paul Gaultier's JPG collection. It has a hood, snap tab at the neck and long sleeves with padded arrow appliques along the upper arms....Category
1980s French Jackets$375 Sale Price44% Off
- Gianni Versace Starfish Jacket S/S 1992By Gianni VersaceLocated in Water Mill, NYA beautiful black cotton jacket with a colorful starfish and shells pattern from Gianni Versace's much photographed notable Spring Summer 1992 collection. It has 2 front flap breast...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Alexander McQueen New Fur Jacket A/W 2000By Alexander McQueenLocated in Water Mill, NYAn incredible rare black, shiny, soft, silky goat fur jacket from Alexander McQueen's F/W 2000 Eshu collection. It has a standup collar, V neckline, front fur hook closures and is li...Category
1990s Italian Coats and Outerwear
- Claude Montana Leather Color Block JacketBy Claude MontanaLocated in Water Mill, NYA gorgeous black and white leather jacket by Claude Montana. It has 1/2 white 1/2 black leather lapel collar, long sleeves with zippers at the wrists and 2 front flap pockets. The ...Category
1990s French Blazers
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
1990s French Smoking Jackets
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
Early 2000s French Jackets
21st Century and Contemporary British Trench Coats
1990s French Jackets
21st Century and Contemporary French Cropped Jackets
1990s American Blazers
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
Early 2000s Portuguese Trench Coats
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?