- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Extraordinary Elsa Schiaparelli Haute Couture Evening Jacket
About the Item
- Place of Origin:France
- Material Notes:Silk, cotton,metal,resin
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: AU12042626467
From her signature color Shocking Pink to her collaborations with Surrealist artists, the boldly original Elsa Schiaparelli transformed fashion from the late 1920s to the early ’50s. Experimenting with elements like trompe l’oeil images and colorful visible zippers, the Italian designer instilled a provocative avant-garde artistry in her clothing and accessories, including those created with Salvador Dalí, such as the lobster dress and a hat shaped like a shoe.
Born in Rome, Schiaparelli was a rebellious child who grew up among the city’s intellectual elite. She had a voracious appetite for reading and became interested in ancient cultures, astronomy and world religions. Schiaparelli studied philosophy at the University of Rome, and after publishing a collection of poems on love and sensuality that so mortified her conservative parents that they tried, unsuccessfully, to confine her to a Swiss convent, she left for London. A quick marriage to Count Wilhelm de Wendt de Kerlor brought her to New York, but it would be in Paris following her divorce that Schiaparelli embraced her artistic passions. She moved to the French capital city in 1922 with her young daughter and happened to meet master couturier Paul Poiret, who loaned the stylish Schiaparelli his clothes, sparking her own fashion interests.
Schiaparelli debuted her first collection of knitwear in 1927, and later that year, she designed a black-and-white pullover hand-knit wool sweater featuring a trompe l’oeil bowknot that captured the attention of the fashion world. Vogue called it “an artistic masterpiece.” The success led to her moving her house to 21 Place Vendôme in 1935 where thousands of garments were produced each year. Schiaparelli’s knitwear collections were later accompanied by revolutionary swimsuits and other clothing and accessories. Her inventive designs would include culottes — a radical statement in the 1930s when women still could cause a scandal by wearing pants — as well as printed fabric, such as the 1938 Tears dress with a print designed by Dalí making it appear as if the evening gown had been savagely ripped.
Schiaparelli was among the first designers to use materials like rayon and Lurex as well as explore wrap dresses and transparent raincoats. She also introduced unisex fragrances and brought her artistic partnerships into jewelry, such as bronze brooches made with Alberto Giacometti and fur-lined bracelets with Méret Oppenheim. As she wrote in her 1954 autobiography Shocking Life, women should “dare to be different.”
Despite her acclaim, her shop closed in 1954 after a tumultuous time during World War II. By then, fashion had moved on with Christian Dior's New Look, and the closure of Schiaparelli's business coincided with a comeback mounted by Coco Chanel, her archrival in the early days.
In 2006, Italian businessman Diego Della Valle acquired the brand and its archives, and the Maison Schiaparelli was reopened in 2012, back at 21 Place Vendôme where Schiaparelli's fearless and enduring work began.
Find vintage Elsa Schiaparelli hats, evening dresses and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Schiaparelli Haute Couture Black Changeant Faille Evening JacketBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYSchiaparelli Haute Couture Changeant Faille Jacket, 1938-39. "France gave me the inspiration: America gave me the approval" Elsa Schi...Category
1940s French JacketsPrice Upon Request
- Rare Schiaparelli Black Quilted Faille Evening Cape, 1951By House of SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYRare Schiaparelli Haute Couture Mandarin Black Quilted Faille Cape, 1951 Amazingly chic and modern quilted silk faille Haute Couture cape by Elsa Schiaparelli from the 1950's. M...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco CapesPrice Upon Request
- Elsa Schiaparelli's "Sleeping de Schiaparelli" Perfume SachetsBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYSchiaparelli's Mint in Box, "Sleeping" perfume sachets (3) of "Sleeping Blue" satin, over stitched with Schiaparelli's signature "S". Still fragrant wrapped in the original unopened ...Category
1940s French Curiosities
- Schiaparelli Oversized Topaz Bracelet and Ear ClipsBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYElsa Schiaparelli's massive bracelet and ear clips of large smokey topaz top facet crystals with citrine and Aurora Swarovski crystal spacers. Extr...Category
Vintage 1950s American Link BraceletsMaterials
Gilt Metal$2,850Free Shipping
- Elsa's Schiaparelli's 'Sleeping de Schiaparelli' Perfume SachetsBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in New York, NYSchiaparelli's Mint in Box, Sleeping perfume sachets.Of Sleeping blue silk satin, hand stiched with Schiaparelli's signature S. Still fragrent wrapped in the origional unopened celop...Category
1940s French Other
- An Elsa Schiaparelli Woolen Embroidered Couture Evening Coat - France Circa 1939By Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1938/1940 Paris France An Elsa Schiaparelli (attributed to) long black woolen coat embroidered by the Maison Lesage with large baroque volute pat...Category
1930s French Dolman Sleeve Coats$15,518Free Shipping
- Black chiné Elsa Schiaparelli 1940's skirt -suitBy Elsa SchiaparelliLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRBlack with white chiné wool skirt-suit. Interesting collar effect like a tie. Black silk lining ( jacket only) with Schiaparelli's signatureCategory
1940s Unknown Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1950's Elsa Schiaparelli Documented Sequin Blowfish Bamboo Cane PurseBy Elsa Schiaparelli, SchiaparelliLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous and incredibly unique Elsa Schiaparelli sequin blowfish cane purse dating back to the early 1950's. Fashioned from rich red vinyl bubble covered in black knit with serpent...Category
1950s French Novelty Bags
- 1954 Christian Dior Haute Couture 'Lily of the Valley' Satin Evening Dress SuitBy Christian DiorLocated in Los Angeles, CATwo piece suit consisting of a jacket and mid length skirt of butter black satin trimmed with a velvet and jet fringe. The fitted jacket is constructed on princess lines with raglan ...Category
1950s Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Vintage 1930 Chanel Haute Couture Documented Velvet Scarf-Neck Sculpted CapeBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking and ultra rare documented evening cape from her 1930-31 collection is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Chanel from this era is extremely hard to find and the only similar garment we found is held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York. Not only is this cape incredibly elegant; it is so versatile and timeless. I adore the luxurious two-tone brown and caramel panne velvet. Closes in a gorgeous scarf-neck design complete with stunning sculpted round shoulder line work. A beautiful museum quality Chanel show...Category
1930s French Capes
- Vintage Chanel Haute Couture Ivory Lesage Embroidered Silk Bridal Gown & JacketBy ChanelLocated in Beverly Hills, CAChanel is known to be one of the most luxurious and decadent fashion houses in the world. This breathtaking fully-embroidered ivory silk gown with matching jacket, from their iconic 1982 fall-winter haute couture collection, is a perfect example of why this couture brand has stood the test of time. Not only is this opulent creation very rare; it is so timeless and elegant. Fashioned from the highest quality fully-lined ivory silk, both pieces has exquisite hand-stitched metallic embroidery, embellished crystals and the finest tulle inserts in relief by the House of Lesage...Category
1980s French Wedding Dresses
- Vintage 1950's Madame Grès Haute Couture Sculpted Silk Back-Bow Dress & JacketBy Madame GresLocated in Beverly Hills, CAGorgeous and incredibility rare Madame Grès haute couture sculpted black silk dress ensemble dating back to the early 1950's. Madame Grès felt that the true job of the couturier was not to create a name for one's self, as many designers do, but to pay rigorous attention to the clothing. This stunning set has so much detail, you can tell it was made with loving devotion. The alluring bodice has a low-cut scoop neck with flattering short sleeves. My favorite designer element is the dramatic back bow with chic cut-out. The matching jacket has a shawl-like front with a stunning cropped back. I'd wear the jacket alone with other looks for a unique bolero option. The sculpted panel style skirting ,which looks incredibly hard to mold, reads so fresh to the modern eye...Category
1950s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Chanel Haute Couture ivory lace wedding dress, c. 1960sBy ChanelLocated in London, GBChanel Haute Couture ivory lace wedding dress with corseted bodice, cap sleeves, trained skirt and silk lining. c. 1960sCategory
1960s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Vintage 1964 Balenciaga Haute Couture Metallic Pink Beaded Silk Strapless DressLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning and incredibly rare Balenciaga metallic-gold brocaded pink silk evening dress from his 1964 Spring-Summer collection. Cristobal Balenciaga began his life's work in fashion...Category
1960s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Schiaparelli-Inspired Sapphire Silk Velvet Bead and Pearl Pencil Suit - S, 1940sLocated in Tucson, AZAlthough it bears no label, this suit betrays all the hallmarks of a Schiaparelli master work: saturated color, silk velvet fabric (her favorite), sharp shoulders paired with curving...Category
1940s Unknown Skirt Suits
- Vintage Valentino Black Leather Double Breasted Vest w/ Persian Lamb CollarBy ValentinoLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing vintage Valentino soft black leather double breasted vest, with luxurious Persian lamb collar! So much style in this chic vintage number! Wonderful slimming fit, that looks g...Category
1980s Italian Vests
- Geoffrey Beene Vintage Black Polka Dots 1990s 90s Classic Silk Jacket BlazerBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in San Diego, CAChic vintage GEOFFREY BEENE classic black jacket! Features a discreet iridescent polka dot print throughout. Four buttons up the front. Pocket at each side of the waist. Lined in chi...Category
1990s American Blazers
- 1990s Vintage Todd Oldham Snakeskin Print Denim Brown + Black Jean JacketBy Todd OldhamLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing 1990s Todd Oldham snakeskin print denim jacket! Classic snakeskin print in brown and black, with signature silver buttons down the front, at cuffs, pockets and at adjusting b...Category
1990s American Jackets$460 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Matsuda Black and Grey Chiffon Polka Dot Chiffon Avant Garde 90s JacketBy Mitsuhiro MatsudaLocated in San Diego, CAAvant Garde vintage 1990s Japanese MATSUDA blazer jacket! Features a grey chiffon underlay with black chiffon on top. Black features semi sheer polka d...Category
1990s Japanese Jackets
- Hattie Carnegie 1930s Black Velvet and White Fox Fur Vintage 30s Opera JacketBy Hattie CarnegieLocated in San Diego, CAStunning and rare 1930s HATTIE CARNEGIE for I MAGNIN black silk velvet opera coat with dramatic white fox fur oversized collar! Features the softest most luxurious silk velvet and hi...Category
1930s French Jackets$3,195 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Jaeger 1990s Fantasy Tweed Purple + Pink + Black Metallic Blazer JacketBy JaegerLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful vintage 90s Jaeger 'Fantasy Tweed' metallic multi-colored fitted blazer! Wonderful checkered print in purple, pink and black! Large single black opal button at waist, with ...Category
1990s British Blazers
Recently ViewedView More
You Saw It at the Met Ball. Here’s What Camp Fashion Is Really About
This year's Costume Institute exhibition is all about embracing the eccentric.
The Met’s Latest Blockbuster Tells a Powerful Story through 230 Jewels
A captivating show at the Manhattan museum explores how jewelry has ornamented the body through the millennia — and redefines it as high art.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery