Gucci Brown Lambskin Leather Double Breasted Jacket
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Limi Feu Grey Knitted Wool Bolero Cardigan with Silver PinBy Limi FeuLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Limi Feu grey knitted wool bolero cardigan. - Featuring a silver pin fastening. - Light tweed fabric with some silver metallic wire. - The designer father is Yohji Yamamoto. ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Bolero Jackets
- Moschino Couture White Organic Wool Fabric JacketBy Moschino CoutureLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Moschino Couture white " Nature-Friendly Garment" organic wool fabric Jacket. Such a unique jacket! Franco Moschino is really a pioneer and provocative designer who alw...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- 90s Alberta Ferretti Navy Pom Bouclé JacketBy Alberta FerrettiLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Alberta Ferretti navy shawl collar pom bouclé jacket. - Featuring one button and two pockets. - Height: 80cm I Bust: 30cm I Waist: 70cm I Sleeve: 59cm...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Vintage Franck Sorbier Haute Couture Black Velvet Mother of Pearl Buttons JacketLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Frank Sorbier Haute Couture black velvet jacket. - Featuring embedded Mother of Pearl buttons throughout the jacket. - Mother of Pearls...Category
1990s French Dinner Jackets
- Vintage 80s Alberta Ferretti Studio Black Officer JacketBy Alberta FerrettiLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 80s Alberta Ferretti Studio officer jacket in black. - Featuring red trim with gold link chain collar lapel, front flap pockets and cuffs....Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Vintage 90s Batik Black Jacket with White Embroidered Lace BehindLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Batik Black Jersey Jacket with white embroidered leaves pattern lace behind. Featuring three black buttons closure with two front slip pockets. Such a beautiful jacket ...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Gucci S/S 2008 black leather short sleeve gold zip cropped leather dress jacketBy GucciLocated in Paris, FRGucci Spring Summer 2008 cropped leather jacket with short sleeves in black Gold hardware with Gucci engraved popper buttons and buckles Oversized braided buttons Closes via a zip a...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Hiroko Koshino Japan Black Design Jacket 1980Located in Amsterdam, NLVintage jacket from Japanese designer "Hiroko Koshino" with long front (88cm/34.64 inch) and attached inside vest, inside button with a short back (65c...Category
20th Century Unknown Blazers
- 1980's Escada Couture Gold Sequins JacketBy EscadaLocated in Amsterdam, NLRare Escada Couture gold/silver /black/bronze fully sequins ladies evening/party jacket. We offer more exclusive items, view our frontstore. Details: ...Category
20th Century German Dinner Jackets
- Pierre Balmain Paris red rose light wool jacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis Balmain jacket is made from wool has 3 closing buttons and 2 pockets. Size is mentioned French 44 but fits as US 10 or EU 40 See section measurements. Please note that vintage ...Category
20th Century French Vests
- Yves Saint Laurent Burgundy Velvet JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis vintage YSL "Rive Gauche" jacket is made of soft bordeaux velvet with 5 black buttons at the front, no pockets. Size is marked EU 42 but fits like a EU 40/ US 10, please refer t...Category
20th Century French Blazers
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.