- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Junior Vintage Black Denim Iconic Corset Style Jacket
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Normal and natural black denim fading. Usual piling on laces, minor oxidation on metal eyelets. Please note that on the back of both sleeves there are black stitch lines to make sleeves less wide (unsure if original ?) - possible to remove them.
- Seller Location:Nice, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: 21111stDibs: LU25923263213
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Nice, France
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Vintage Black Denim Iconic Corset Style Jacket Size 42By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior vintage distressed black denim iconic corset style jacket. This jacket features : - Distressed black denim. - Cla...Category
20th Century Italian Jackets$614 Sale Price20% Off
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Retro Portraits Lightweight Cotton Jacket Size MBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage rare lightweight cotton jacket featuring gorgeous multicolored retro portraits (males and asiatic females) print all-over. This jacket features : - Gorgeous opulent multicolored retro portraits print all-over. - Classic collar. - Long sleeves. - 1 breast pocket. - 2 side pockets. - Button down closure. Label reads JPG PARIS...Category
20th Century Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Trompe L'oeil Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage denim jacket featuring an x-ray screen trompe l’œil jeans on front and back. This jacket features : - Pointed collar. - Front zip fastening. - Long sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets$527 Sale Price20% Off
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Camouflage Faces Jacket Size LBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage jacket featuring a green/brown/black camouflage print with faces and walls. This jacket features : - Green/brown and black camouflage design print featuri...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Unisex Safe Sex Vest Size MBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage rare black wool blend SAFE SEX unisex vest JPG PARIS. This is a vintage couture piece, a piece of fashion history ! This vest...Category
20th Century French Vests
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Navy Blue Nautical BlazerBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage navy blue nautical blazer. This blazer features : - Double-breasted. - Front buttoning. - Long sleeves. - Two pockets. ...Category
20th Century Italian Jackets$228 Sale Price20% Off
- Corset John GallianoBy John GallianoLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRWhite corset with suspender belt in white silk and polyamide . Silver sequences embroidered and tulle frills.Category
Early 2000s Corsets$329
- Vivienne Westwood floral silk and power mesh corset, fw 1995By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood floral silk corset ▪ Black power mesh ▪ Centre-back zip fastening ▪ UK 8 - EU 36 - US 4 ▪ Fall-Winter 1995Category
1990s British Corsets
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Vivienne Westwood black leather corseted pants with crotch zipper, fw 1997By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black leather pants ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Metal crotch zipper ▪ High rise corseted waist ▪ Zippers at back leg ▪ FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ Fall-Winter 1997Category
1990s British Pants
- Jean Paul Gaultier Iconic Cage Corset lace up Jacket Pant Suit S/S 1989By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Water Mill, NYA fabulous iconic black polished cotton lace-up back cage jacket and pants suit from Jean Paul Gaultier Spring/Summer 1989 Collection. The jacket has incredible vertical boning alte...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Denim Jacket With Faux Fur LiningBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier Denim Jacket With Faux Fur Lining Cropped denim jacket with lace collar. Fit is nice and comfortable and is suitable for Au...Category
- Jean Paul Gaultier Denim Pin WaistcoatBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier Denim Pin Waistcoat made in France. Jean Paul Gaultier disrupted the rarefied world of couture with his transgressive vision of ...Category
1990s French Vests
- Vivienne Westwood Spring-Summer 1992 brown leather corset and mini skirtBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood Spring-Summer 1992 brown leather corset with boning, zip fastening and two long tie-up sashes at the front. High waisted mini skirt with slit at the rear.Category
1990s British Skirt Suits
- VIVIENNE WESTWOOD black velvet corset, c. 1990sBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in Genève, CH- Vivienne Westwood black velvet corset - Internal boning - Back zip fastening - UK 10 - FR 38 - US 6 / a little stretch but fit Smal...Category
1990s British Corsages
- Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld pastel tweed mini dress jacket, ss 1996By Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in London, GB▪ Chanel pastel tweed mini dress jacket ▪ Designed by Karl Lagerfeld ▪ Silver buttons with coin style engravings ▪ Nipped waist ▪ Silk lining ▪ Wool and nylon blend tweed ▪ Yell...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Cinched Faux Fur Trimmings Quilted Lining JacketBy Jean Paul Gaultier, Gaultier JuniorLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Cinched Faux Fur Trimmings Quilted Lining Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 20.07 inches (51 cm) Sleeves: 22.24 inches...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Outlaws Territory" Cross Leopard Print Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 18.50...Category
20th Century Moroccan Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Logo Studded Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Logo Studded Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.74 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 24.80 inches (63 cm) Bust: 1...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Pair of Original Hans Olsen for Frem Røjle Danish Teak Bikini ChairsBy Hans Olsen, Frem RøjleLocated in Chattanooga, TNNot only are these Hans Olsen Bikini chairs in beautiful condition, but they proudly sport their original green fabric. We took these chairs...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Teak$11,960 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket, fw 1997By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior pink mink fur cropped bolero jacket ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Shawl lapel ▪ Wide cropped sleeves appearing as a cape from the b...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Mick Jagger with a Guitar, Black & White Photography, Fine Art Print, SignedBy Dominique TarléLocated in Los Angeles, CA31.5 x 23.6 in (50 x 60 cm) Silver Gelatin Print Edition of 50 Price does not include tax.Category
1970s Black and White PhotographyMaterials
- Gio Ponti F.A. 33 Medium Mirror in Black BrassBy Gio Ponti, GubiLocated in Glendale, CAGio Ponti F.A. 33 medium mirror in black brass. The F.A. 33 Mirror was originally designed by Gio Ponti in 1933 for Fontana Arte, the period’s most prominent lamp, glass, and mirror ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Mid-Century Modern Wall MirrorsMaterials
Brass$1,499 / item
- 19th Century Chinese Cloisonné Fu DogsLocated in Houston, TXAn exceptional palatial quality pair of 19th century Chinese cloisonné Fu dogs featuring gold gilding over copper. Chinese cloiso...Category
Antique 1890s Chinese Chinese Export MetalworkMaterials
Copper, Enamel$85,000 / set
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery