- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Safety Pin Jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: IT 42 (EU)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU583318145342
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Gucci Leaf Print Blazer FW2013By GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAGold Leaf Fitted Black Blazer by Gucci Made in Italy Fall / Winter 2013 Black with gold and blue embellishment Dual horizontal black Gucci butt...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Katherine Hamnett Fall/Winter 1990 “Clean Up Or Die” Studded leather jacketBy KATHERINE HAMNETTLocated in Los Angeles, CAFrom the notable designer’s fall winter 1990 collection the studded “clean up or die” leather jacket reflects her political activism in addition...Category
1990s British Jackets
- Hermès Bomber JacketBy HermèsLocated in Los Angeles, CAHermès Bomber Designer Jacket Made in France Chartreuse Suede Goatskin Grey rib knit details at collar, hem and cuffs of sleeves Zipper down fron...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets$2,195
- Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Jacket FW1984By Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Los Angeles, CASaint Laurent Rive Gauche Evening Jacket Fall / Winter 1984 Vintage Made in France Crop style jacket Lurex floral pattern brocade Brown brocade with highlights of purple and red...Category
1980s French Jackets
- Gareth Pugh Black Silk and Wool Blazer with Banding DetailBy Gareth PughLocated in Los Angeles, CAMen's jacket by Gareth Pugh Wool, jersey cotton, and silk sateen Paneled band going across waist Condition: Excellent Size/Measurements: Size large 20.5" width across underarm 30" ...Category
- Vintage Gianni Versace Embellished Leather JacketBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage Embellished Leather Jacket by Gianni Versace 1992/1993 Made in Italy Black leather Front zip closure Elastic bottom hem Gold and silver metal stud detail Decorative stitc...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Thierry Mugler Black Velvet Strapless GownBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis museum worthy dress by Thierry Mugler has the iconic bustier style top. Signs of wear inside with boning coming out in one area and a few signs of wear on the inside lining. Fro...Category
1980s French Day Dresses
- Christian Dior by John Galliano red croc-embossed lambskin leather coat, fw 2005By John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior red croc-embossed lambskin leather coat ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Double-breasted ▪ Large logo etched buttons ▪ Silk lining ▪ FR 40 - UK 12 - US 8 ▪ Fall-Winte...Category
Early 2000s French Coats and Outerwear
- Vivienne Westwood black leather corseted pants with crotch zipper, fw 1997By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black leather pants ▪ 100% Leather ▪ Metal crotch zipper ▪ High rise corseted waist ▪ Zippers at back leg ▪ FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ Fall-Winter 1997Category
1990s British Pants
- Gianni Versace black silk and lace beaded mini dress, c. 2003By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace black silk and lace mini dress ▪ Beaded and sequin criss-cross strands ▪ Low back ▪ Handkerchief hemline ▪ Hanging bead tassels ▪ IT 42 - FR 38 - UK 10 - US 6 ▪ c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Mini Dress
- A Jean-Paul Gaultier Couture Velvet Set Belonging To Catherine Deneuve, 2004By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Toulon, FRJean-Paul Gaultier Haute Couture Four pieces belonging to catherine Deneuve Paris 2004 Aubergine velvet ensemble lined with light green chiff...Category
Early 2000s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses$4,310Free Shipping
- Vivienne Westwood blue rose print corset, ss 1993By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood corset ▪ Abstract rose print in shades of blue ▪ Cotton with stretch-lycra side panels ▪ Boned stomacher ▪ Center-back zip fastening ▪ Size UK 10 ▪ Spring-Su...Category
1990s English Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood Couture red taffeta corset and ballgown skirt, fw 1996By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood evening ensemble ▪ Sold by One of a Kind Archive ▪ Labelled as a 'SPECIAL ITEM' from Vivienne Westwood's Couture line ▪ Constructed from red taffeta...Category
1990s English Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Chanel Orange 1995 Cropped Cardigan TopBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 1995 Chanel orange cropped cardigan top. - “CC” buttons closure. - 100% cotton. - Size 44.Category
1990s French Crop Tops$5,440 Sale Price20% Off
- Gianni Versace black lace and oroton metal chainmail strapless corset, fw 1999By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace black oroton metal chainmail evening corset ▪ 96% Metal, 4% Silk ▪ Lace trim ▪ Fringed hem ▪ Built-in corset ▪ IT 40 - FR 36 - UK 8...Category
1990s Italian Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood Museum Hercules and Omphale François Boucher CorsetBy Vivienne WestwoodLocated in San Diego, CABoned corset in a printed "Hercules and Omphale" by François Boucher, 1735. Part of the Vivienne Westwood collection on display at The Metropol...Category
1990s British Blouses
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Austin, TX1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Sleeveless Leather Jacket Condition: Good, all over wear Size L 42" bust, 38" waist, 20" length 100% leather / Cotton liningCategory
1990s French Vests
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Metal Pocket Denim Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 22.05 inches (56 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 24 i...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Tube Hoops Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15 inches (38.10 cm) Sleeve...Category
20th Century French Jackets
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest DressBy Jean Paul Gaultier, JPG by GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER 2 in 1 Denim Convertible Vest Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 13.38 inches (34 cm) Bust: 17.32 inches (44 cm) Waist: 13.77 inches (35 cm) Hips: 17.71 inches (45 cm) Length: 43.30 inches (110 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - Dark denim 2 in 1 convertible dress...Category
1990s French Informal Dresses
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer JacketBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER "Cyberbaba" Body Optical Illusion Blazer Jacket Approximate measurements taken laid flat, double bust and waist: Shoulder: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Sleeves: 22 inches (56 cm) Bust: 18.11 inches (46 cm) Waist: 15.75 inches (40 cm) Length: 31.89 inches (81 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic JEAN PAUL GAULTIER. - From Gaultier 1996...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Vintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest JacketBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Leopard Print Corset Flare Vest Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 19.29...Category
1980s French Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery