Moschino Trompe l'oeil Purse Jacket
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Moschino Trompe l'oeil Purse Jacket
The three button blazer style jacket in black crepe has a traditional left hip pocket with hand finishing. The right hip pocket is a quilted purse attached to the jacket by metal grommets. The bag is accented by a gilt metal shoulder strap sewn to the body of the jacket. The purse/pocket bears the Moschino trademark heart logo and it is stamped Moschino as well.
About the Designer
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- Moschino Couture Suit, Humorous Pockets Poke Fun at Chanel Jackets and SkirtsBy Moschino Couture, MoschinoLocated in New Hope, PAFranco Moschino designed this navy blue wool suit with the idea that he would poke a little fun at the classic Chanel suit. He has used a similar shape and similar buttons. The humo...Category
1980s Italian Skirt Suits
- Black on Black Woven Silk and Satin Tuxedo by Jon Valdi CoutureLocated in New Hope, PAThis chic black silk tuxedo is made from the most beautiful woven fabric with swirling curved designs and vertical bands in the textured design. The jacket has classic notched sati...Category
Late 20th Century Trouser Pant Suits
- Issey Miyake Haat Grey Flannel Suit with Fringe Embroidery and PatchworkBy Issey MiyakeLocated in New Hope, PAThe Issey Miyake label Haat or Heart is produced in Japan with an emphasis on Japanese made textiles. This suit is an excellent example of that work. The lapels, center front, and t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture Double Breasted Black Wool Suit, late 1970sBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New Hope, PAThis late 1970's or very early 1980's black wool suit from Yves Saint Laurent Haute Couture is a stunning example of true French couture tailoring. Made in the YSL atelier in Paris ...Category
1970s French Skirt Suits
- Hermes Herringbone Jacket with Velvet Collar and CuffsBy HermèsLocated in New Hope, PAThis Hermes jacket is designed in the classic equestrian riding jacket style. The cream cotton herringbone is accented by a velvet collar, notched lapels, four button closure, two p...Category
Late 20th Century French Jackets
- Balmain Haute Couture Jacket in Double Faced Wool and Pants in Herringbone WoolBy Oscar De La Renta, Pierre BalmainLocated in New Hope, PAThis Numbered Haute Couture suit from Pierre Balmain and designed by Oscar de la Renta is so wearable. It is unlined and made from double faced wool. The interior seams are finished ...Category
1990s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Moschino Couture Vintage Black and Red Women's Blazer Size 12By MoschinoLocated in Philadelphia, PAGORGEOUS Vintage Moschino black and red blazer in excellent condition. Red body with black velvet collar and buttons. Long sleeve style with 2 flap pockets upon hips. 4 button fro...Category
1980s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Graphic Organza DusterBy Jeremy Scott, MoschinoLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis graphic Moschino 90s duster will make you feel feminine and fashionable with ease. This can be thrown over a basic dress and heels for a night out, over your Sunday hang-out clo...Category
2010s American Shawls
- Vintage MOSCHINO Rhinestone Studded Figural Novelty Blazer JacketBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Rhinestone Studded Figural Novelty Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat: Shoulder: 17 inches (43.18 cms) Sleeves: 21 4/8 inches (54.61 cms) Bust: 38 inches (9...Category
1990s Italian Jackets
- Vintage 1989 MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC Lock Key Brown Leather Cropped JacketBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage 1989 MOSCHINO CHEAP and CHIC Lock Key Brown Leather Cropped Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 16.33 inches (41.5 cm) Sleeves: 23.2...Category
20th Century Italian Cropped Jackets
- Vintage MOSCHINO Bow Applique Novelty Blazer JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Bow Applique Novelty Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 16.14 inches (41 cms) Sleeves: 21.25 inches (54 cms) Bust: ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Vintage MOSCHINO Cheap & Chic Coloured Number Blazer JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Cheap & Chic Coloured Number Blazer Jacket Measurements taken laid flat: Shoulder: 17 inches Sleeves: 24 Inches Bust: 37 inches Waist: 32 inches Length: 28 inches ...Category
1990s Italian Jackets