- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Tom Ford Quilted Heavy Men Duty Jacket 52IT
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 28.55 in (72.5 cm)Marked Size: L (US)Bust: 24.81 in (63 cm)
- Style:Jacket (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:excellent used condition.
- Seller Location:Kaunas, LT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2743217715652
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kaunas, Lithuania
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Leather Men Bomber Jacket Size 48IT(M)By Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Kaunas, LTItem for sale is 100% genuine Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche by Tom Ford Leather Jacket Color: Dark Brown (An actual color may a bit vary due to individual computer screen interpreta...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Jackets
- Saint Laurent SL87 Men SunglassesBy Hedi Slimane, Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kaunas, LTSaint Laurent SL87 Men Sunglasses Color: Black (An actual color may a bit vary due to individual computer screen interpretation) Material: plastic Tag size: One size This bag is gre...Category
2010s Italian Sunglasses
- Dior Homme AW06 by Hedi Slimane 4 Pockets Coated Zipped Men Jacket Sz 46IT(S/M)By Hedi Slimane, Dior HommeLocated in Kaunas, LTCheck my other listings. Have many more designer clothes for sale. Open to any offers. Item for sale is 100% genuine Dior Homme AW06 4 Pockets Jacket Color: black (An actual color ma...Category
2010s Unknown Jackets
- Dolce&Gabbana Mainline Denim Hamster Fur Men Jacket Size 50ITBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Kaunas, LTItem for sale is 100% genuine Dolce&Gabbana Mainline Denim Fur Men Jacket Color: Blue (An actual color may a bit vary due to individual computer screen interpretation) Material: 100...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
- Dior Homme SS06 Men Bomber Baseball Jacket Size 46IT (S/M)By Dior HommeLocated in Kaunas, LTItem for sale is 100% genuine Dior Homme Spring Summer 2006 by Hedi Slimane Color: Black (An actual color may a bit vary due to individual computer screen interpretation) Material: 5...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Jackets
- C.P Company Down Hooded Puffer Men Google Jacket Size 48IT (Medium)Located in Kaunas, LTItem for sale is 100% genuine C.P Company Down Hooded Google Jacket Color: Yellow (An actual color may a bit vary due to individual computer screen interpretation) Material: 100% pol...Category
2010s Unknown Jackets
- Louis Feraud Men's Vintage Olive Yellow Cotton Brown Suede Bomber Jacket, 1980sBy Louis FeraudLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA stylish vintage unworn Louis Féraud men's bomber jacket in an olive yellow cotton moleskin with a brown suede collar and quilted paisley lining. Beautiful details like suede backed...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- BURBERRY PRORSUM 2013 Size S Taupe & Brown Nylon Bomber JacketBy Burberry ProrsumLocated in San Francisco, CABURBERRY PRORSUM Men's taupe and brown bomber jacket with rib knit collar, dual flap pockets at sides, tonal quilted lining, dual interior seam pockets and zip closure at center fron...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Jackets
- 1980s Yves Saint Laurent Khaki Wool Skirt SuitBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toronto, Ontario1980s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche khaki wool skirt suit. Jacket features shoulder pads that create a strong, statement shape. Jacket is slightly asymmetric with two middle and low...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Mens Vintage YSL Wool Tweed Check Blouson Jacket, 1970sBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible and rare vintage mens Yves Saint Laurent jacket from the 70s for the Rive Gauche line (YSL's highest end pret-a-porter line) which is rare to find for menswear and much...Category
1970s French Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Men's Reversible Calfskin with Gold Hardware BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent men's reversible calfskin with gold hardware belt has the choice of either a black calfskin or a brown calfskin to match the signature gold hardware with Yves Sain...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- NWT F/W 2000 Yves Saint Laurent Homme by Hedi Slimane Gold Lurex Jeans PantsBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous pair of gold lurex jeans, designed by Hedi Slimane for the Fall/Winter 2000 collection of Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Homme. Multiple versions of ...Category
Early 2000s French Jeans
- Saint Laurent SS16 L01 Lamb Leather Biker Jacket - Hedi Era size 52By Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent, Saint LaurentLocated in Bear, DESaint Laurent Paris SS16 L01 Lamb Leather Biker Jacket Size 52 (amazing fit) Excellent overall condition (leather could last a lifetime). Minor scratches on the jacket; see detailed ...Category
- SAINT LAURENT Spring 2016 Size 10 Olive & Black Cotton VestBy Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent, Saint LaurentLocated in San Francisco, CASAINT LAURENT by HEDI SLIMANE Spring 2016 vest comes in a olive & black leopard print cotton featuring a drawstring detail, patch pockets, and a button & zip up closure. Made in Ital...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Vests
- SAINT LAURENT Spring 2016 Size 6 Olive & Black Cotton VestBy Hedi Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent, Saint LaurentLocated in San Francisco, CASAINT LAURENT by HEDI SLIMANE Spring 2016 vest comes in a olive & black leopard print cotton featuring a drawstring detail, patch pockets, and a button & zip up closure. Made in Ital...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Vests
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Velvet Trim Wool Bolero Crop JacketBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Oakland, CAThis is a vintage YSL Rive Gauche green wool jacket. Two front loop/button closures, velvet trim. The wool has a textured, almost ribbed appearance. The tag has H94 on it, perhaps wi...Category
1990s French Bolero Jackets
- Vintage 1990s Yves Saint Laurent Rive Form Fitting Black Wool JacketBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Oakland, CAThis is a vintage black YSL Rive Gauche collarless jacket, very form-fitting, with decorative buttons, estimating 1980s or 1990s era. Lightly padded shoulders. The material feels li...Category
1990s French Single-Breasted Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery