Vivienne Westwood 'Vive La Cocotte' Corset
View Similar Items
Vivienne Westwood 'Vive La Cocotte' Corset
About the Manufacturer
For someone who regularly swats away the industry that made her, audacious British fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood certainly knows her way around a garment. And she knows how to provoke. “I don’t follow fashion,” Westwood once told the New York Times. “I’ve never been interested in it.”
Westwood was born Vivienne Isabel Swire in a village in Derbyshire, in central England, but moved to London as a teen. In the early 1960s, she began to make her own jewelry and met an artist, activist and entrepreneur named Malcolm McLaren. They became involved romantically and she made clothes for him in the style of the Teddy Boys — the city’s music-crazed, occasionally violent teenagers at the time who wore high-waisted trousers and tailored velvet blazers that drew on Edwardian-era fashions.
Westwood and McLaren opened a vintage shop on King’s Road in London in 1971. The flared denim and peasant blouses of the 1960s, then still popular with the “peace and love” set, didn’t hold any weight for Westwood. Instead, she was interested in provocative, edgy apparel. She repaired used clothing and endeavored to create bold new designs from scratch.
Together Westwood and McLaren sold older rock-and-roll records, customized T-shirts with antiestablishment slogans, biker jackets and snug trousers inspired by the Marlon Brando film The Wild One as well as bondage fetish wear. The shop, once called Let It Rock and then Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die before Sex became a more appropriate moniker, evolved into a youth mecca. The DIY garments — zippered tops, burnt tees emblazoned with anarchist messages — flew off the shelves. More notably, it brought punk to the masses. Westwood was soon dressing the Sex Pistols, a band that McLaren managed, all the while bridging the gap between music and fashion in a manner that has reverberated throughout the industry for decades.
In 1981, the couple’s first fashion show marked the debut of their Pirate collection — a swashbuckler-themed line that sprang from Westwood’s research into Indigenous Americans and the “power garments” of the Louis XIV era. The collection’s ample proportions and cutting-edge tailoring countered punk’s geometry and tight latex fits as well as what rocker Adam Ant called the “Puritanism” that plagued England at the time. The Pirate collection’s enduring influence on the world of fashion as well as the theatrical work of designers such as John Galliano and Alexander McQueen is undeniable.
The self-taught Westwood enjoyed a rapid ascent in fashion, with British society embracing her looks and Vogue immortalizing them in its glossy pages. She’s dressed Kate Moss and Helena Bonham Carter, and a wedding dress that she created is featured in 2008’s Sex and the City film.
Today, the fires of political and environmental activism burn brightly for Westwood: She is a Greenpeace ambassador, having designed the organization’s official “Save the Arctic” logo; her clothing brand is committed to using recycled canvas and other eco-friendly materials in the production process; and in 2020, she protested the extradition of Julian Assange by suspending herself in a bird cage outside London’s Old Bailey court. But she will always be the grande dame of British design.
- Dolce & Gabbana Vintage Brown Silk and Yellow Lace Cami Top (2000s)By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Los Angeles, CADolce & Gabbana Vintage Brown Silk and Yellow Lace Cami Top Vintage; circa 2000s Dolce & Gabbana Underwear label Brown/Yellow Semis sheer Contrasting lace trim Adjustable elasticize...Category
Early 2000s Italian Lingerie
- Vintage Loris Azzaro Lurex Chainmail Thong (1970s)By Loris AzzaroLocated in Los Angeles, CALurex chainmail thong by Loris Azzaro 1970's Made in France Metallic red and gold Crocheted lurex Dangling chainmail detail Elastic waistband Excellent vintage condition; No vis...Category
1970s French Lingerie
- Chanel Textured Knit Blue Bodysuit (Circa 2000s)By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CATextured knit blue bodysuit by Chanel Made in France 2000's Collection Solid powder blue High round neckline Bow detail on neck Floral crochet and baubl...Category
Early 2000s French Bodysuits
- Versace Pleated Silk Chiffon Dress with Purple Netting Detail circa 1980sBy VersaceLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a pleated mint colored chiffon dress by Versace Atelier c. 1980s. It features a purple silk woven net that covers the bodice and also gives the dress its straps. A partial ...Category
1980s Italian Cocktail Dresses$2,160 Sale Price40% Off
- Jacques Fath Embellished Halter Dress with Jacket circa 1980sBy Jacques FathLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis is a mint colored halter dress by Jacques Fath c. 1980s. It features a bodice embellished with a combination of beads, sequins, and paillettes. The tea length skirt is constru...Category
1980s French Cocktail Dresses
- Rare Alexander McQueen "Hunger" SPRING 1996 RTW Runway DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis dress is 1 of 2 ever made. It was Look 22 worn by Stella Tennant in the Spring 1996 Ready to Wear "Hunger" runway show and gifted to its owner by Alexander McQueen. There is no ...Category
1990s British Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana Black Silk Lace Corset Bustier Pink TopBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Amsterdam, NLDolce & Gabbana Bustier, corset We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore Details: This is a beautiful Dolce & Gabbana silk ruched Mauve corset top with black lace...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Corsets
- Edwardian Bridal Trousseau Pink Silk Pintuck Step-In Romper Teddy - L, 1910sLocated in Tucson, AZThough it looks and wears like a negligée, this wisp of a garment was an intermediate step between the chemise-style undergarments of the Victorian era and the separate bra and panti...Category
Early 20th Century American Negligees
- Azzedine Alaia mint green spandex bra and shorts, ss 1990By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in London, GBAzzedine Alaia mint green spandex bra and shorts Spring-Summer 1990Category
1990s Italian Lingerie
- Christian Dior by John Galliano silk and tulle embellished corset, ss 2001By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Rare Christian Dior white corset top ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ Ivory silk with white cotton tulle overlay ▪ Floral bugle-beaded embellishment...Category
Early 2000s French Corsets
- Vivienne Westwood lace screen printed denim corset and jeans, fw 1992By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood lace screen printed denim corset and high rise slim jeans Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s British Corsets
Recently ViewedView All
Vivienne Westwood’s Punk Spirit Lives On in This ’90s Tartan Ensemble
The shorts suit in a mash-up of patterns with an asymmetrical cut speaks to the designer’s rebellious spirit.
The Personal Luxury Goods Market amid COVID-19
1stDibs dealers discuss the challenges of this unprecedented time, and the signs of hope.