- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
2000s Gucci by Tom Ford Burgundy Stretch Knit Asymmetric Buckle Sleeveless Top
- DimensionsMarked Size: S (NA)
- Place of OriginItaly
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use, including minor pilling and faint scratches to metal hardware.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2388215360892
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Tom Ford for Gucci
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Leather Sleeveless Top G LogoBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare leather tank top by Tom Ford for Gucci. This piece and features the classic Tom Ford 'G' medallion that was heavily featured in the S/S 1997 collection a...Category
1990s Tank Tops$716 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 2001 Gucci by Tom Ford Backless Bra Strap Black TopBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a backless Gucci tank top, designed by Tom Ford. This unique tank top features a v-neckline with an open back and a draped back. This shirt was designed for Guc...Category
Early 2000s Blouses$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Viscose Collared V Neck Tunic TopBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a collared v-neck tunic top, designed by Tom Ford. This top has long sleeves, a prominent collar, and a deep v-neckline. Not your average top, this shirt was de...Category
1990s Blouses$716 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Navy Blue Ombré Stripe Button Up TopBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a cool blue iridescent Gucci silk button-up shirt, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 1997 collection, this top was featured on the season's runway in m...Category
1990s Blouses$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
- 2000s Gucci by Tom Ford Backless Logo Clasp Black Knit Silk Tank TopBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a backless Gucci top, designed by Tom Ford. This unique top features a simple front with a sexy open back connected by a 'Gucci' name plate. Not your average to...Category
Early 2000s T-Shirts$1,080 Sale Price20% Off
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Red Ombré Stripe Button Up Shoulder Pad TopBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fiery red iridescent Gucci silk button-up shirt, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 1997 collection, this top was featured on the season's runway in m...Category
1990s Blouses$1,000 Sale Price20% Off
You May Also Like
Early 2000s Blousons
1990s Tank Tops
Early 2000s Corsages
Early 2000s Bustiers
21st Century and Contemporary Shirts
Early 2000s Shirts
Recently ViewedView More
This Versace Minidress Is the Epitome of Y2K Red-Carpet Style
Ready to party? So is this dress.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery