Resort 2005 Yves Saint Laurent Lip Logo Print Green Blue Viscose Skirt
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 23 in (58.42 cm)Marked Size: S (NA)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388216352052
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- F/W 1992 Gianni Versace 'Miss S&M' Studded Leather Fringe Bondage A-Line SkirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a studded leather A-line skirt designed by Gianni Versace for his infamous Fall/Winter 1992 'Miss S&M' bondage-inspired collection. Worn on the runway with the ...Category
1990s Italian A-Line Skirts
- S/S 2002 Gucci by Tom Ford Runway Black Silk Taffeta Belted Wrap Oversized SkirtBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black silk taffeta Gucci skirt, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 2002 collection, this skirt debuted on the season's runway as part of look 33, mo...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pencil Skirts
- S/S 1999 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Tulle Mesh Overlay Sample SkirtBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black tulle Gucci skirt, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 1999 collection, this skirt was produced in limited numbers as a sample for the collecti...Category
1990s Italian Pencil Skirts
- F/W 2002 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Black Ruffle Ribbon Viscose SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Tom Ford for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning black ruffle Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche skirt, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 2002 collection, this fabulous form-fitting skirt featu...Category
Early 2000s Italian Ruffled Skirts
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Wrap Maxi G Logo Stretch Viscose SkirtBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a chic black wrap maxi skirt designed by Tom Ford for Gucci's Spring/Summer 1997 collection. Constructed in 100% viscose, this stretchy skirt beautifully hugs t...Category
1990s Italian Wrap Skirts
- S/S 2000 Gianni Versace by Donatella Runway Black Eyelet Sheer Green SkirtBy Donatella Versace for Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black linen eyelet cut-out skirt designed by Donatella for the Gianni Versace Spring/Summer 2000 collection. A version of this skirt debuted on the runway on look 13 and appeared in the season's ad campaign on Amber Valletta, shot by Steven Meisel...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Vintage Swarovski Decorated KiltLocated in New York, NYVintage wool pleated kilt decorated with bezel set Swarovski crystals along the hips. Button front wrap closure. Upcycled and made for a Japan Vogue Shoot x MWLC Studios. 28" waist...Category
1990s American Pleated Skirts
- Vintage Swarovski Decorated KiltLocated in New York, NYVintage wool pleated kilt decorated with bezel set Swarovski crystals along the hem. Wool pleated differently on back for color variation. Side zip closure. Upcycled and made for a ...Category
1990s American Pleated Skirts
- Alexander McQueen Black Leather Asymmetric Ruffle Short Skirt SBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Edgy and quite different, this short skirt from Alexander McQueen definitely needs to be on your wishlist. The black skirt is made of 100% lamb leather with soft silk lining and features an artistic silhouette. It flaunts ruffles and sits perfectly on the waist to provide a flattering fit. It comes equipped with a concealed zip closure and can be paired with an off-shoulder top, statement heels...Category
2010s Italian Ruffled Skirts
- Vintage Valentino Boutique Brown Wool Skirt With PocketsBy ValentinoLocated in Portland, ORWe love this classic brown wool pencil skirt from Valentino Boutique. This vintage Valentino skirt came from an estate we acquired many years a...Category
1980s Italian Skirts
- Chloe Brown Stretch Crepe Corset Detail Midi Skirt LBy ChloéLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Match this elegant Chloe skirt with an elegant top and you're set for an after-work look. If you fancy to embrace the up-to-the-minute trends in fashion, this smart brown piece is id...Category
2010s Italian Skirts
- Chloé Black Crepe de Chine Silk Smocked Waist Midi Skirt LBy ChloéLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Make room in your closet for this creation from the house of Chloé. Designed for a fashionable look, this black skirt is fabulous for any evening event. This skirt features a metalli...Category
2010s Italian Skirts
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery