Vintage Prada Runway grey patchwork fur skirt, Fall 1999
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 24.81 in (63 cm)Marked Size: 42 IT (EU)Waist: 26.38 in (67 cm)
- Style:1990s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2861219798092
The House of Savoy coat of arms and knotted rope on Prada’s seal herald that the iconic Italian luxury fashion house was named Official Supplier to the Italian Royal Household in 1919. Started in 1913 by Mario Prada, the brand’s original shop in Milan’s Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II still has the mahogany shelves that displayed its early wares such as travel items and handbags. Today, these fine leather goods are joined by the clothing, wallets and other various accessories that keep the brand on the cutting edge of fashion.
When Mario Prada’s granddaughter, Miuccia Prada (b. 1949), inherited the business from her mother in the late 1970s, Prada was recognized for its quality craftsmanship, yet it was still a modest-sized company. Miuccia, an enthusiast of unconventional Italian filmmakers who’d earned a Ph.D. in political science, introduced the concept of using pocone — a military-grade water-resistant nylon that feels like silk.
Nylon revolutionized the fashion house’s business, with the first Prada nylon backpack released to universal acclaim in 1984. Soon the durable, water-resistant material was incorporated into Prada’s ready-to-wear collections for both men and women. No one had previously considered nylon a part of luxury fashion, and it wasn’t long before the family-owned company best known for its luggage was leading modern style that emphasized function as much as form.
Characterized by clean lines and a refined elegance that signaled the new direction of the legacy brand, Miuccia Prada debuted her first ready-to-wear collection for women in Fall/Winter 1988. More inventive fashion would follow in the ensuing years, such as the 1993 launch of the more affordable, more playful Miu Miu line, which was aimed at a younger audience, and the introduction of Prada Sport in 1997 — a collection now widely seen as prescient for its embrace of athleisure.
Prada has regularly gone against the grain to elevate styles that have long been out of fashion. In 1996, there were dresses and skirts in clashing patterns and muted earth tones that seemed flat and outdated, all worn with chunky high wedge sandals. Fanny packs followed three years later, and elaborate lace in 2008. Each season continues to bring new eye-catching innovations for the historic brand, including enhanced attention to sustainability with Prada Re-Nylon, a new line of bags created from recycled ocean plastic.
Today, find a wide variety of vintage Prada evening dresses, bags and other items on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Kyiv, Ukraine
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Dolce&Gabbana printed Sicilia collection midi pencil skirt, SS 2013By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in New York, NYMidi pencil skirt by Dolce&Gabbana in bright colorful print from Sicilia collection. Fastens with a zip at the back Year: 2013, spring-summer. Size - IT40 Length - 80 cm / 31,5'' W...Category
2010s Italian Pencil Skirts
- Gianni Versace vintage leather skirt, 1990sLocated in New York, NYGianni Versace vintage quilted leather skirt with rhinestones Knee-length, fully lined, back zip fastening Size – IT 42 / S-M Waist – 55 cm Length – 68 cm Hips – 92 cm Condition...Category
Early 2000s Pencil Skirts
- Chanel wool mini skirt, 2010sBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel black wool mini skirt. Zip at the back, unlined. Size – FR 36 / S Length – 41,5 cm Waist – 64 cm Hips – 94 cm Fabric – 100% wool Condition – very good ........Addition...Category
2010s French Skirts
- Anthony Vaccarello Runway off-the-shoulder Dress, SS 2014By Anthony VaccarelloLocated in New York, NYAnthony Vaccarello runway off-the-shoulder mini dress with assimetric hem. Season: Spring-Summer, 2014 Colors: black, blue. Size – XS Length: 71cm Composition: 72% polyamid, 28% e...Category
2010s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Roberto Cavalli Animal Print Silk Blouse, 2000sBy Roberto CavalliLocated in New York, NYVintage Chanel Boutique evening dress in dark blue silk with ivory V-neck. Adorned with a black ribbon and a small bow. Straight long sleeves with a button on one side. Period: 199...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blouses
- Vivienne Westwood Iconic White Twill Mini SkirtBy RED LABEL by VIVIENNE WESTWOODLocated in New York, NYVivienne Westwood Iconic White Twill Skirt with signature faux horn buttons. Full circle skirt wrapped mini with large faux flap pockets and back vent. Si...Category
1990s British Skirts
- Vivienne Westwood green harris-tweed 'Time Machine' skirt, fw 1988By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBPresenting the Vivienne Westwood green Harris tweed 'Time Machine' mini skirt, a remarkable creation from the Autumn-Winter 1988 collection tha...Category
1990s British Skirts
- Emanuel Ungaro White Silk Satin Skirt with RuffleBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Milano, ITLovely white silk satin skirt by Emanuel Ungaro from the 1990s, made in Paris. ORIGINAL LABEL. The skirt is totally made of snow-white silk satin, with a ...Category
1990s French Ruffled Skirts
- Prada Vintage Pleated SkirtBy PradaLocated in Milano, ITGorgeous vintage skirt designed by Prada in the 90s, made in Italy. ORIGINAL LABEL. The skirt is made entirely of soft and light material, with a balloon effect cut. The skirt remain...Category
1990s Italian Pleated Skirts
- Worth “W” Label Leopard Print Skirt with Pleated Net Ruffle Hem Size 6By WorthLocated in Palm Springs, CAThe W label for Worth NYC designed a playful and chic leopard skit in a cotton/poly leopard print. The sophistication comes in with a beautifully pleated black netting that makes the...Category
2010s Chinese Flare Skirts