- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1954 Christian Dior Haute Couture 'Lily of the Valley' Satin Evening Dress Suit
About the Item
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1964024971
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Tom Ford Signature Black Body Hugging Gown with Cape New!By Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CAA signature style by Tom Ford in this version of a body hugging gown with high back kick pleat. A sheer black silk chiffon cape completes the look. Dramatic, elegant and sophisticate...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Gowns
- Richard Quinn Runway Duchess Satin & Silk Coat Dress EnsembleBy Richard QuinnLocated in Los Angeles, CAStunning purple bellflower coat with matching dress evening ensemble by Richard Quinn. Fashioned of duchess satin and silk illustrated in a painterly monet fabric. Coat is oversiz...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Moschino Couture Runway Corset Tux Jumpsuit Holiday Dressing! NWTBy Moschino CoutureLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino Couture jumpsuit specially designed with dramatic exciting eye catching presence! Ruched rich rose magenta silk bodice with fine black wool tux style trousers. Boned bodic...Category
2010s Evening Dresses
- Rare Comme des Garcons Runway "Broken Bride" Wedding Ensemble Coat & DressBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Los Angeles, CARei Kawakubo's Fall 2005 "Broken Bride" Collection emphasized beautiful and romantic "nuptial" clothing inspired by the Victorian era. Look #23 on the runway showcases a full leng...Category
Early 2000s Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Tom Ford/Gwyneth Paltrow Iconic Oscar Gown & Cape New!By Tom FordLocated in Los Angeles, CASuper stunning iconic Tom Ford evening gown with matching cape. Identical to the one worn by Gwyneth Paltrow to the Oscars. The gown fashion...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Dress and Coat Ensembles
- Jonathan Simkhai $12K Embroidered Jumpsuit with Dramatic Removeable Train NewBy ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAOffered new with tags Jonathan Simkhai jumpsuit with removable train. As seen on the runway of the 2017 Resort Collection. A different and distinct creation for special occasion d...Category
2010s Jumpsuits$3,465 Sale Price30% Off
- NEW Chanel Black Silk Dress Jewelled Buttons & Jacket Coat Suit Ensemble OutfitBy ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA modern but classic version of the famous little black dress by Chanel Consisting of two pieces, dress and coat Dress features a deep V n...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Dress and Coat Ensembles$2,399 Sale Price40% Off
- Dolce & Gabbana tiger print and denim 3-piece skirt suit, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GB▪ Dolce & Gabbana 3-piece skirt suit ▪ Fitted jacket in black denim with red contrast topstitch ▪ Bra-top with open back and tiger-print front with sequins ▪ Low-rise maxi skirt w...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Gianni Versace multicoloured velvet mini dress and leggings set, fw 1992By Gianni VersaceLocated in London, GB▪ Gianni Versace multicoloured velvet mini dress and leggings set ▪ All over abstract print in blue, purple, pink, red and gold ▪ Turtle neck mini dress with long sleeves ▪ High wai...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- YVES SAINT LAURENT Tom Ford S/S 2003 2 Pc Black Top Skirt Dress Set YSLBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Thiensville, WIYVES SAINT LAURENT S/S 2003 Rive Gauche (by Tom Ford) 2 Pc Black Long Sleeve Top Skirt Dress Set Brand / Manufacturer: Yves Saint Laurent Collection: S/S 2003 Designer: Tom Ford Sty...Category
Early 2000s Italian Skirt Suits$776 Sale Price40% Off
- Couture Mingolini Gugenheim Vintage Beaded Dress+ JacketLocated in Sparks, NVSpectacular two-piece dress and jacket set by Italian couture house Mingolini Gugenheim. Both pieces are meticulously hand beaded with tiny sparkli...Category
1960s Italian Dress and Coat Ensembles
- New Vintage Givenchy Couture Black Velvet Sequins & Lace Evening Suit w TagsBy GivenchyLocated in Portland, ORThis black velvet Givenchy Couture skirt suit is embellished with black sequins and lace. We love the bold gold tone starburst and black enamel buttons on the jacket. The black velv...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Glas Italia, Shiro KuramataLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,257Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery