- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1970s Christian Dior Couture Black and White Checkered Jacket and skirt set
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$70 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 7-9 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Christian Dior (Manufacturer)
Christian Dior (1905–57) was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris. There, the visionary couturier would alter the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess — an expansive collection of which can be found on 1stDibs — Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- By Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Beverly Hills, CAIncredible Vintage Christian Dior Suede Leopard Print Cape lined in wool with fox fur collar and leather tassel....Category
1970s Capes$2,650 Sale Price24% Off
- By Christian Dior, Marc BohanLocated in Beverly Hills, CAIncredible 1973 Automne-Hiver Christian Dior Haute couture by Marc Bohan black velvet drop waist dress. Sheer ...Category
1970s Cocktail Dresses
- By Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Christian Dior by John Galliano Beautiful Halter crepe top and silk plisse skirt set from Christian Dior...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- By Christian Dior, John GallianoLocated in Beverly Hills, CABeautiful ox blood wool and mongolian fur crop jacket designed by John Galliano for Dior. Bust: 36"/ Shoulder:...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cropped Jackets
You May Also Like
1960s Trouser Pant Suits
1960s Casual Dresses
1970s Skirt Suits
1970s Dress and Coat Ensembles
1960s Dress and Coat Ensembles
1970s Trouser Pant Suits
1990s Trouser Pant Suits
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery