- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Wool Crepe Chalk Stripe Pantsuit
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Adolfo Sequined Dinner SuitBy AdolfoLocated in New York, NYAdolfo, dinner suit, encrusted in black and purple iridescent sequins, that form a diamond pattern. Jacket is fitted with a jewel neckline that ends below the hip. Skirt is straight.Category
1980s American Skirt Suits
- Givenchy Couture Velvet Dinner SuitBy GivenchyLocated in New York, NYGivenchy Couture, black velvet, dinner suit having a gold, flecking on the velvet, creating an optical effect. Jacket is fitted with a v neckline and gold buttons with rhinestone cen...Category
1970s Skirt Suits
- Galanos Satin Tunic and Wide Leg Pant EnsembleBy James GalanosLocated in New York, NYGalanos, black, satin back crepe, pyjama top and pant ensemble. Top is smock like, with a high, square neck line and ends below the hip, having full sleeves that gather above the wri...Category
1970s American Pajamas
- Yves Saint Laurent Cut Velvet Tunic and Pant EmsembleBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, black, cut velvet, long sleeved, tunic with a solid velvet, wide leg pant. Tunic is extra long, having a jeweled neckline, with a cut velvet body and a band of so...Category
1980s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Andre Laug Silk Plisse Pant EnsembleLocated in New York, NYAndre Laug, peach tone, silk blouse and pant ensemble. Top has a generous tie with fringe,with full plisse sleeves. Pleating detail continues beneath the bust and goes down to the h...Category
1970s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Geoffrey Beene Hammered Satin Palazzo Pant EnsembleBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NYGeoffrey Beene, pewter tone, hammered satin, top and palazzo pant ensemble. Top has a jewel neckline, with an ivory front panel and pewter tone dolman sleeves. Pant is palazzo shap...Category
1970s American Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Black Boxer Overall Mesh JumpsuitBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Black Boxer Overall Mesh Jumpsuit Measurements, please double bust, waist and hips: Shoulder: 14.56 inches (37 cm) Sleeves: 7.48 inches (19 cm) Bus...Category
1990s French Jumpsuits
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Sequin Tie Blouse and Skirt SetBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Sequin Tie Blouse and Skirt Set Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: TOP Shoulder: 15.35 inches (39 cm) Sleeves: 22.04 inches...Category
1990s French Jumpsuits
- Jean Paul Gaultier Sequin Jacket SetBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Alford, MAAn interesting combo from Jean Paul Gaultier consisting of a jacket composed of his signature mesh fabric embellished throughout with a black-and white sequined leaf design over a sh...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Twin Sets
- Trouser pant-suit in wool chevron Jean-Paul GaultierBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRTrouser pant-suit in wool chevron. Double-breasted jacketCategory
1990s Trouser Pant Suits
- Top and skirt in printed wool jersey Jean-Paul Gaultier ClassiqueBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRTop and skirt in printed wool jersey . SIZE 8 UsCategory
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier Sheer Black Mesh Fragile Crop Top & Wiggle Skirt SetBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Yukon, OKDESIGNER: 1999 Jean Paul Gaultier CONDITION: Good- There is a tiny imperfection on one of the ties on the top, very minor, won't be seen. COUNTRY MADE: Italy FABRIC: Nylon SIZE: Unk...Category
1990s Italian Crop Tops