Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pastel Tone Liberty Print Ensemble
About the Item
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Norman Norell Linen Coat and Dress EnsembleLocated in New York, NYNorman Norell, natural color, linen coat and dress ensemble. Dress is a simple sleeveless, belted sheath with a scoop neck and a deep open back. Coat i...Category
1960s American Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Alexander McQueen Pant Suit with Embroidered DetailBy Alexander McQueenLocated in New York, NYAlexander McQueen, dusty rose, wool pant suit, having a fitted bodice, a stand up collar and a single button closure. Pants are straight leg with a fly front closure having slash po...Category
1990s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
- Galanos Satin Tunic and Wide Leg Pant EnsembleBy James GalanosLocated in New York, NYGalanos, black, satin back crepe, pyjama top and pant ensemble. Top is smock like, with a high, square neck line and ends below the hip, having full sleeves that gather above the wri...Category
1970s American Pajamas
- Yves Saint Laurent Chinese Collection Tunic and Pant EnsembleBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, navy and yellow, patterned, Chinese collection, tunic and pant ensemble. Tunic has a jewel neckline, with a side butto...Category
1970s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Geoffrey Beene Tweed Skirt Suit with Tulle ScarfBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NYGeoffrey Beene, black and white wool tweed, skirt suit, having black stitching trompe-l'oeil details at the collar and waist. Jacket closes with a tie at the waist, center front Skirt has the same black top stitching detail as the jacket . Jacket has a raglan sleeve. Suit comes with a tulle rectangular scarf...Category
1980s American Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Cut Velvet Tunic and Pant EmsembleBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, black, cut velvet, long sleeved, tunic with a solid velvet, wide leg pant. Tunic is extra long, having a jeweled neckline, with a cut velvet body and a band of so...Category
1980s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- UNWORN Classy Chanel Caramel Fantasy Tweed Jacket Blazer Skirt Business Suit 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA true CHANEL signature suit hat will last you for many years So versatile - perfect business suit for day, vamp it up at night Beautiful caramel tweed f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Skirt Suits
- Margaretha Ley Escada Blue & Yellow Woven Silk & Wool Blend Skirt & Jacket SuitBy Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a lovely vintage 2 piece woven silk and wool skirt suit with the Margaretha Ley Escada label. The fabric is so beautiful and makes a...Category
1990s German Skirt Suits
- Christian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2004 Monogram Logo Pants & Top 2 Piece SetBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Naples, FLChristian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2004 Pink Diorissimo Monogram Logo Pants & Top 2 Piece Set FR38/FR42 Christian Dior by John Galliano 2 Piece Set featuring the iconic Diorissimo ...Category
Early 2000s Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Pucci cotton print blouse & skirt set 1960sBy Emilio PucciLocated in West Palm Beach, FLPucci cotton print blouse & skirt set 1960st...Crisp white cotton with hot pink, yellow, purple and black print of ribbons, stars & wild looking birds...The long sleeve blouse button...Category
1960s Italian Skirt Suits
- Giorgio Armani Cream Floral Jacquard Tapered Vintage Trousers XSBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2These pretty trousers from Giorgio Armani will be a perfect addition to your collection. They come with tapered legs and a floral jacquard design all over. This cream-hued creation i...Category
2010s Italian Trouser Pant Suits