MOSCHINO Puzzle Suit
View Similar Items
MOSCHINO Puzzle Suit
About the Manufacturer
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- Sybil Connolly Irish Linen Pleated Suit, 1960sBy Sybil ConnollyLocated in Austin, TX1960s Sybil Connolly Irish linen pleated jacket and skirt with satin trim. Condition: Excellent. Size Medium Jacket: 38" bust, 35" waist, 23 1/2" sleev...Category
1960s Irish Skirt Suits$1,170 Sale Price35% Off
- 1992 Gianni Versace Denim Leopard Vest and JeansBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Austin, TX1992 Gianni Versace leopard print vest and jeans. Medusa buttons. Zip up closure on vest. Cotton fabric. Condition excellent. Size XS, IT38, US 2 24" waist, 32" hips, 28.5" inseam ...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles$2,520 Sale Price30% Off
- 1992 Complice by Dolce & Gabbana High Waisted skirt and Top SetBy Complice, Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Austin, TX1992 Complice by Dolce & Gabbana high waisted skirt and bra top with removable tie for top or neck. Fabric is a spandex blend Condition: Excellent SZ S TOP: Bust: 28-38", Length:...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Yohji YamamotoBy Yohji YamamotoLocated in Austin, TX1990s Yohji Yamamoto black blazer with tails with black chiffon wrap skirt. Made in Japan Condition: Excellent labeled size 2 or Medium ( mannequin is a US size 6 )Category
1990s Japanese Skirt Suits$1,650
- Todd Oldham for Congovid Floral Embroidered SuitBy Todd OldhamLocated in Austin, TXTodd Oldham for Congovid embroidered suit with oversized jacket. Two large pockets on front. Jacket size M, pants size L. Cotton, rayon blend. Cond...Category
1980s American Trouser Pant Suits
- Bespoke Black weeding groom suit by MAN BilbaoLocated in Bilbao, ESBespoke black wedding morning suit by MAN Bilbao Consisting on long tail chaqué jacket, vest, cuff link blouse, red tie, suspenders and trousers Perfect Condition Only used Once Size 54 Spain MAN 1924 appears once more in the publication Mr Porter...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Trouser Pant Suits
- Alexander McQueen circa 2000 Dusty Pale Rose SuitBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Sharon, CTOffering an Alexander McQueen Pale Rose Skirt Suit, with impressed silver metallic floral design. Made in Italy. Chain Label (needs reattaching). Length of ...Category
1990s English Skirt Suits
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Bergdorf labeled SuitBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sharon, CTOffering a 1980's Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche turquoise tweed wool suit, retailed by Bergdorf Goodman, on the Plaza NYC. Jacket is weighted on the inside ...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits