Moschino Suit , Which Came First...
View Similar Items
Moschino Suit , Which Came First...
About the Designer
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- Chanel Silk Top and Pleated Skirt 2pc Set 05C Collection Abstract Print Sz 36By ChanelLocated in Port Saint Lucie, FLAuthentic, preowned Chanel sleeveless top with matching pleated skirt, from the '05C collection. Made from an abstract print in blue and pebble ...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits$544 Sale Price24% Off
- Gucci S/S 1998 runway G-string setBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Rome, IT• Gucci by Tom Ford • Dark blue viscose set • Long sleeve top with back cut-out and G-string • Midi skirt with iconic G-strings • Famously worn by Esther Cañadas on the runwayCategory
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Alaia vintage 1990s midnight blue viscose mix stretch cardigan & skirt set.By Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Antwerp, BEAbsolutely stunning and in perfect condition, vintage cardigan & skirt set by Azzedine Alaia. Iconic body con skirt with matching cardigan made in a midnight blue stretch viscose mix...Category
1990s Italian Skirt Suits
- Vintage 1990s Marc Jacobs for Perry Ellis Black Red Checkered Silk Skirt w/ WrapBy Marc Jacobs, Perry EllisLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA gorgeous Perry Ellis by Marc Jacobs black and red checkered skirt with matching over-sized shawl wrap from his Fall/Winter 1989-90 collection. Not on...Category
1980s American Pencil Skirts
- Roberto Cavalli S/S 2002 cream and brown tulip print top and skirt setBy Roberto CavalliLocated in Rome, IT- Cream/brown top and skirt set - 3/4 sleeve lycra top with black curled tie fastening - Silk boho midi skirt - Size MCategory
Early 2000s Italian Skirt Suits
- Chanel Iconic Ivory Wool Boucle Zippered SkirtBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYChanel iconic ivory wool boucle zippered skirt is fully lined with their signature silk monogram. The center-back invisible zipper measures 8 1/2 i...Category
1980s French Pencil Skirts