- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture brown fur and ostrich feather top, fw 1999
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Middle River, MD
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Jean Paul Gaultier
Endeavoring to tear down gender stereotypes and sartorial norms on the catwalk, making underwear outerwear, putting men in skirts and models of all shapes and sizes on the runway, the wildly provocative French fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier has created transformational clothing designs that draw on numerous influences and boldly merge haute couture with street sensibility.
An only child raised in the suburbs of Paris, Gaultier didn’t have a formal fashion education. But he loved to sketch and was drawn to clothing, citing the corsets in his maternal grandmother’s closet as having a formative impact on his creative direction. He’s said that some of his earliest fashion work was for his teddy bear, and later he would send his sketches to designers he revered, including Pierre Cardin.
Gaultier began his career in 1970 as an assistant to Cardin, who admired the sketches the 18-year-old had sent for his appraisal. After Gaultier had his first runway show in 1976, featuring unconventional statements like pairing motorcycle jackets with ballerina skirts, it didn’t take long for his star to rise. His playful but exquisitely crafted reimaginings of classic Parisian styles — the striped mariner shirt, the trench coat — soon became recurring themes of Gaultier’s eponymous house, which he founded with his life partner and business associate Francis Menuge in 1982. “He was absolutely peerless for the longest time in the late ’80s and early ’90s,” fashion editor Tim Blanks told the New York Times. This was the period of Gaultier’s most iconic designs.
In 1984, Gaultier’s “Boy Toy” collection challenged men’s fashion with striped shirts and skirts — and sold around 3,000 of them. He was hailed for spectacle-laden runway shows and superb tailoring. Gaultier began to work with Madonna during the late 1980s, and, at the pop star’s request, he designed the costumes for her 1990 “Blond Ambition” tour. Her pink corset became a cultural touchstone of the era.
Gaultier continued to expand his brand, debuting his first couture collection in 1997 and creating costumes for film and stage. He was nominated for a César Award for Best Costume Design for The City of Lost Children (1995) and then a second for Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element (1997).
From 2003 to 2010, Gaultier was the creative director for Hermès. The first international exhibition of his work, “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk,” debuted in 2011 at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and toured to cities including Stockholm, New York City, Dallas and London. He presented his last ready-to-wear collection in 2014 and in 2020 stepped down from his couture line, ending his boundary-pushing, industry-shaping reign with a raucous show of more than 230 outfits formed from fragments of collections from across his 50-year career.
One of fashion’s enfants terribles, Gaultier has never sought out pretty for pretty’s sake. Instead, he has challenged the traditional ideals of beauty. Today, the designer's vintage clothing designs — experimental undergarments cut from lace and suede, leather-trimmed evening dresses and jackets of denim, plastic or striped jersey — are as punk as they are high fashion.
Browse a wide range of Jean Paul Gaultier clothing and accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Men's Jean Paul Gaultier gold lurex zip-up vest, fw 1985By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Men's Jean Paul Gaultier zip-up vest ▪ Metallic gold and black Lurex knit ▪ 55% Cotton, 21% Polyester, 19% Nylon, 5% Elastane ▪ Fringed hem ▪ Size 48 ▪ Fall-Winter 1985Category
1980s Italian Sweaters
- Jean Paul Gaultier black knitted fur oversized sweater, fw 2003By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GB▪ Jean Paul Gaultier black knitted fur sweater ▪ Rabbit fur ▪ White and grey striped detail ▪ Oversized fit ▪ Wide turtle neck ▪ Size Large ▪ Fall-Winter 2003Category
Early 2000s Italian Sweaters
- Jean Paul Gaultier black knitted chenille aran conical breast sweater, fw 1985By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier black chenille aran pullover sweater with wide standing collar, zip fastening at centre-back and signature Gaultier conical breast panels with nipples. Fall-Wint...Category
1980s Italian Sweaters
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk oversized knitted sweater, ss 1994By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana black silk loosely knitted oversized sweater dress. Spring-Summer 1994Category
1990s Italian Sweaters
- Yohji Yamamoto navy blue chunky knit cardigan with large safety pin, c. 1990sBy Yohji YamamotoLocated in London, GBYohji Yamamoto navy blue woollen chunky knit cardigan with large safety pin closure c. 1990sCategory
1990s Japanese Cardigans
- Dolce & Gabbana Men's grey sequin embroidered knitted sweater, fw 1999By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBFall-Winter 1999Category
1990s Italian Sweaters
- Jean Paul Gaultier charcoal wool bend pulloverBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NYJean Paul Gaultier charcoal wool blend of 60% wool, 20% angora, and 20% polyamid nylon has a hood style back which is extends within the same piece of material which covers the back ...Category
1980s French Pullovers
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Iconic Destructured Sailor Stripes SweaterBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage iconic destructured sailor stripes sweater featuring detachable sleeves. This sweater features : - Black knitted fabric with white stripes design. - Turtl...Category
20th Century French Sweaters
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Knit Circuit Board SweaterBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage black and red wool knit sweater featuring a circuit board pattern on front, back and sleeves. Shoulder pads (removable). Label reads JEAN PAUL GAULTIER M...Category
20th Century Italian Pullovers
- Jean Paul Gaultier maxi-length cardiganBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NYJean Paul Gaultier black maxi-length cardigan is accented with black satin borders on front and also on the sleeves cuffs. The front is detailed with sixteen(16) buttons, as well ...Category
1980s Italian Cardigans
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Black Wool Kiss Lock Wallet Sweater Size LBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER vintage black lightweight virgin wool turtleneck sweater featuring a kiss lock wallet pocket. Label reads JEAN PAUL GAULTIER MAILLE Femme Made in Italy. Composit...Category
20th Century Italian Sweaters
- Jean Paul Gaultier Gentle Black Wool With Detailed Bell Sleeves SweaterBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in New York, NYJean Paul Gaultier black gentle-knit wool open-tie sweater features detailed edges as well as the slightly flared bell cuffs. The front has two knit ties measuring 24" in leng...Category
1990s Italian Cardigans