Christian Dior Pink Monogram String Bikini, 1990s
View Similar Items
Christian Dior Pink Monogram String Bikini, 1990s
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Scottsdale, AZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU16724827271
About the Manufacturer
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
- Gianni Versace Couture Lilac Mesh BodysuitBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZGianni Versace Couture Spring/Summer 1994 "Punk Collection" lilac mesh bodysuit. Sleeveless full bodysuit with sheer mesh in the perfect Spring/Summer co...Category
1990s Italian Sunsuits
- Emilio Pucci Blue Printed Bikini SwimsuitBy Emilio PucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZSummer Sexy... Circa 2000s, this Emilio Pucci bikini features one of Pucci's signature abstract prints in shades of blue, purple and green. Padded top with...Category
Early 2000s Italian Swimwear
- Gottex 1990s Strapless SwimsuitBy GottexLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe beach ready at all times with this adorable Gottex one piece swimsuit! Circa 1990s with a little 1950s influence, this strapless navy blue swimsuit features a white trim with buttons going down the hip. Interior includes a built in bustier. Perfect for the pool or the beach, this swimsuit will pair perfectly with your favorite Chanel sun hat...Category
1990s Israeli Swimwear
- 1990s Key Hole Cut SwimsuitLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe beach ready at all times with this adorable one piece swimsuit! Circa 1990s, this sexy one piece features a halter top, a key hole cut out and an open back. Perfect for the pool or the beach, this swimsuit will pair perfectly with your favorite Chanel sun hat...Category
1990s American Swimwear
- Herve Leger 1990s SwimsuitBy Herve LégerLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe beach ready at all times with this adorable Herve Leger one piece swimsuit! Circa 1990s, this swimsuit features a black and white elastic trim with cut outs and an open back. Perfect for the pool or the beach, this swimsuit will pair perfectly with your favorite Chanel sun hat...Category
1990s French Swimwear
- Gideon Oberson 1990s SwimsuitBy Gideon ObersonLocated in Scottsdale, AZBe beach ready at all times with this Gideon Oberson one piece swimsuit! Circa 1990s, this sexy one piece features a ruched knotted waist with a deep v cut in the front and back. Perfect for the pool or the beach, this swimsuit will pair perfectly with your favorite Chanel sun hat...Category
1990s Israeli Swimwear
- Vintage CHANEL Logo Transparent Pouch Candy Pink Bathing Suit Swimsuit BodysuitBy ChanelLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHANEL Logo Transparent Pouch Candy Pink Bathing Suit Swimsuit Bodysuit Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: inches (34 cm) Waist: 13 inch...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Swimwear
- NEW Missoni Signature Chevron Zigzag Crochet Knit Maxi Kaftan Dress MBy MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHMissoni Mare's kaftan is a '70s-inspired poolside piece. Team this classic crochet knit kaftan with the matching bikini for a beautifully bold vacation look. A signature Missoni k...Category
2010s Italian Beachwear
- NEW Missoni Grey Silk Crochet Knit Hot Pants Shorts 40By MissoniLocated in Switzerland, CHMissoni's multicolored sheer-knitshorts with a gold Lurex fleck for poolside style. A perfect add-on for a lazy day at the pool, beach or at home. Missoni signature crochet knit Bea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Hot Pants$299 Sale Price50% Off
- De Weese Designs 1950s Gold Metallic & Rhinestone Pin Up Swimsuit 14/36Located in West Palm Beach, FLDeWeese Designs was opened in California in 1951 by top Catalina (sportswear) designer Mary Ann Deweese, when she had reached the apex of her career there. Her high fashion sundresse...Category
1950s American Swimwear
- Oscar de la Renta vintage puff sleeve prairie plisse wrap belted maxi dress robeBy Oscar De La RentaLocated in Paris, FROscar de la Renta swim vintage wrap dress in a combination of pastel toned lilac, pink and grey check print Plisse effect to the fabric Oversized ...Category
Late 20th Century American Day Dresses
- 1950s Paisley One-Strap Cotton SwimsuitLocated in London, GBWe really love the print on this original 1950s cotton swimsuit. It is a vibrant floral paisley design in yellow, pink, turquoise and lilac. The swimsuit has a singular strap and fea...Category
1950s British Swimwear
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery