View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
- DimensionsMarked Size: 1 (NA)
- Place of OriginFrance
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: AU120521451150
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Browse vintage Chanel bags, evening dresses, shoes, jewelry and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Los Angeles, CAA vintage Gucci navy canvas shoulder bag with yellow and white sun print. Leather shoulder strap zipper top, and brass-tone metal hardware. Exce...Category
1970s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Khaki Flared Cotton PantsBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a pair of vintage Chanel khaki cotton flared pants featuring, front side pockets, back patch pockets, a side z...Category
1990s French Pants
- Chanel Pleated Skirt With Floral Sequin WaistbandBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black pleated evening skirt featuring decorative black mesh flowers and rhinestone beaded waistband, top b...Category
1990s French Skirts
- Rare Chanel Python Leather 2000 Runway Top & Pants EnsembleBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection is excited to offer a vintage Chanel leather ensemble featuring a cropped sleeveless top with a silver metal CHANEL logo disc, and center back zipper. The matching pants...Category
Early 2000s French Trouser Pant Suits
- Chanel Black Skirt Suit With Iconic Bead & Pearl Necklace PrintBy ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black skirt suit featuring a button front jacket, bow collar, covered buttons, iconic bead and pearl necklace...Category
Early 2000s French Skirt Suits
- Vintage Chanel Red & Black Floral Jodhpurs Capri Pants 1997By ChanelLocated in Los Angeles, CAResurrection Vintage is excited to offer a vintage Chanel by Karl Lagerfeld black, red, and yellow cotton floral print jodhpur capri pants, featuring a high waist, corset laces at th...Category
1990s French Jodhpur Pants
- Chanel Black Privée Collection Runway Frame BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black Privée Collection Frame Bag is in pristine condition. Considered an extremely rare Runway collectible, this Chanel bag is completely unique. Black quilt...Category
2010s European Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage So Black Bar Chain Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Vintage So Black Bar Chain Shoulder Bag Black nylon canvas with a flap top CC turn-lock closure Leather entwined chain shoulder strap Black metal hardware Carry it as a clutch or shoulder bag Interior has a black fine textile...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel 2006 Vintage Velvet & Patent Camellia No. 5 Shoulder Clutch Evening BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel No. 5 Vintage Black Velvet and Patent Leather Camellia Shoulder Bag circa 2006 black velvet velvet effect floral appliqué logo patch to the front detachable chain-link should...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Vintage classic CHANEL shoulder bag calf skin black/white 1990/95By Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in Stuttgart, DEThis classic black - white shoulder bag comes with 7 digits ID card Nr. 6884197, this is around 1995. The whole bag is black and white, the 2 adjustable (short and long) straps, the fastener, the lining with a side pocket and the Mona Lisa Pocket on the back. It is a Chanel bag...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL Black Velvet Green Red Gripoix Pouch Charm Gold Hardware Shoulder ClutchBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILNew Condition From 2020 Collection Velvet Gripoix Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 10.5" W X 7 "H X 3.5" D Shoulder Strap Drop 20" Includes Authenticity Card, Care Booklet,...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$27,940 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Chanel Classic Flap Clutch Vintage 80's Gold Cc Closure Black Crocodile Skin BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Vintage 1989 Crocodile Flap Bag Clutch Gold CC Closure The vintage Chanel octagon black crocodile 8 sided flap with classic cc closure and a...Category
1980s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery