Judith Leiber Penguin Minaudiere
View Similar Items
Judith Leiber Penguin Minaudiere
- Dimensions:Height: 5.5 in (13.97 cm)Length: 3.5 in (8.89 cm)Bust: 3 in (7.62 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:Rhinestones and gold leather inside
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Bridgehampton, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: 3143-21stDibs: LU2012679772
About the Designer
When it comes to handbags, no designer can compete with Judith Leiber’s (1921–2018) ability to create magic using opulent crystals and wildly imaginative and playful shapes. The Hungarian-born designer made minaudières (small, decorative handbags, often without handles or a strap) in the form of crystal-covered swans, cupcakes, lipstick, wads of cash, teddy bears and other delightful objects. These dazzling objets d’art have been regularly seen in the hands of First Ladies, movie stars on the red carpet and even in the prestigious collections of institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Like many pathbreaking inventions in the history of design, Leiber’s minaudières were the result of a happy accident. In 1967, she began working on her first metal handbag. The piece in question was named the Chatelaine, and the design was a graceful drop-shaped purse in gold-tinted metal. But when the samples came in, Leiber saw that the bottom of the bag looked greenish and discolored as a result of the plating process. She had the ingenious idea of applying crystal rhinestones to the base to cover up the flaws. The dazzling bag was a huge success and would become her trademark.
Born Judith Peto in Budapest, Leiber overcame many hardships before her breakthrough. At the start of World War II, she was working at the Pessl handbag company in Budapest where she quickly climbed the ranks to become a master craftswoman. When the war escalated, she and her Jewish family were forced by the Nazis to live in a cellar of a ghetto, and several of her relatives were killed in concentration camps. “I designed handbags in my head to get through the misery,” she said. After the liberation of Budapest, she married Gerson “Gus” Leiber, an American GI, and moved to New York. In 1948, she began working for the fashion house Nettie Rosenstein. One of her first major pieces was the handbag embroidered with glittering rhinestones and pearls carried by Mamie Eisenhower at the 1953 inaugural ball. In 1963, she finally set up her own company.
Leiber’s whimsical designs embellished with Swarovski crystals and semiprecious stones defied traditional notions of luxury handbags. She also created striking clutches and bags with leather and fine textiles from around the world. In her 65-year career, she designed over 3,500 bags, which have been worn by First Ladies including Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush, pop icons like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez and celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner (who collects Leiber’s handbags). In 2005, the Leiber Collection Museum opened in East Hampton, New York, as a permanent space to showcase her work. The minaudières remain coveted objects celebrated worldwide for their eclectic beauty and glamorous charm.
The value of a good handbag cannot be overstated — find a collection of vintage Judith Leiber handbags and other fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Bottega Veneta Small Purple Strap with front pocket.By Bottega VenetaLocated in Bridgehampton, NYBottega Veneta Small Purple Strap with front pocket. Great condition very gently used clean inside. Small mark on top near outside zipper. Bottega is best known for its signature wo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches
- Vintage Bottega Veneta Black and White HandbagBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Bridgehampton, NYVintage Bottega Veneta woven (Intrecciato) Nappa leather Satchel in Black and White leather with a snap button closure. Made in ItalyCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Toggle Closure Wine Leather HandbagBy HermèsLocated in Bridgehampton, NYHermès Burgundy Wine Leather with Toggle closure Shoulder Bag, Classic and Ready For Use in Any Occasion.Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Two Front Pockets with Silver HardwareBy ChanelLocated in Bridgehampton, NYA Classic Leather Chanel Bag Two Front Pockets with Silver Hardware, Two Handles, Large Interior Space with Zipped Pocket. Year: 2006-2008Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- Barr + Barr Brown Lizard Pattern Short StrapLocated in Bridgehampton, NYBarr + Barr Brown Lizard Pattern Short Strap, they have been entirely made by hand in the finest leather.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Shoulder Bags
- Senreve Navy Satchel Leather BackpackLocated in Bridgehampton, NYDesigned For The Multi-Faceted Modern Woman, Senreve Navy Satchel Leather Backpack. Where beauty meets versatility.Category
2010s Italian Backpacks
- Tom Ford Crystal-Embellished Mini Clutch BagBy Tom FordLocated in London, GBA stunning crystal-embellished mini clutch bag by Tom Ford. This clutch features crystal-embellished soft goatskin leather and contrasting silver-tone ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Clutches$2,891 Sale Price25% Off
- Charlotte Olympia Watermelon ClutchBy Charlotte OlympiaLocated in London, GBAdd some summer fun to your look with this watermelon clutch by Charlotte Olympia. The pre-loved clutch features a magnetic closure, black rhinestone seeds, and the classic Charlotte...Category
- Olympia Le Tan 'The Uncertain Trumpet' Clutch BagLocated in London, GBFirst published in 1929 by A.S.M Huchinson, this was a Jazz Age comic drama of small-town English life about sinners of the flesh and spirit. Olympia Le tan turns the cover of this n...Category
- Roberto Cavalli Circus Purse Black Leather Gold Animal Embellishment Chain StrapBy Roberto CavalliLocated in San Francisco, CARoberto Cavalli circus bag in black leather with gold tone hardware. Gold detail on front features Ferris wheels and circus animals including elephants, leopards, and horses. Removab...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Huge 1930's Art Deco Beaded Clutch Bag Oversized PristineLocated in New Hope, PAA spectacular multi-color, oversized, 1930's beaded clutch in pristine condition is a very rare find. This bag is 7" high by 13" wide. The colors are bright and cheerful, adding not ...Category
1930s Belgian Clutches$1,200 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery