Gucci Striped Monogram Vintage Handbag
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Gucci Python Tassel Crossbody BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis Gucci handbag is an iconic piece to the Gucci house! This features a beautiful neutral python leather that is accompanied by faint green, blue, and ye...Category
Early 2000s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour new summer bag is giving us Fornasetti vibes! Take a step back in time with this super fun and funky messenger bag from the house of Gucci. The exterio...Category
1980s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Chanel Reissue 2.55 Flap Bag Plaid Quilted TweedBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour favorite flannel pajamas but make it cozy Chanel! Their signature twist lock flap closure is featured on the front, monogrammed and with an embossed lock. The silver chain link handles are coupled with eyelets and complement the strong pattern of the bag. The back has one patch pocket. Lined with buttered leather, the interior includes three compartments and one with a flap and a snap lock closure. It includes one zipped pocket and two patches, as well as a pen holder. Pair with a Balenciaga...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- CHANEL Black/Peach Tweed and Leather Medium Gabrielle Hobo BagBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZFOUND! The most perfect and versatile bag. From the 2018 Cruise collection this fabulous Gabrielle Hobo Bag is part of Chanel's new 'Gabrielle' line. This particular hobo bag feature...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Gianni Versace 1990s Baroque Print Satin Shoulder BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your looks with this beautiful Versace shoulder bag! Circa 1990s, this bag is made of gorgeous blue satin and features a multi-colored Bar...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- 2008 Louis Vuitton Mahina XS Metallic Bronze Monogram Shoulder BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton signed bag, Mahina model, size XS, made of brown leather with perforated Monogram and silver hardware. Equipped with a central interlocking closure. Equipped with an ad...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage 90's Metallic Lambskin Mini Quilted Flap Gold Cross Body BagBy ChanelLocated in Miami, FLChanel Vintage 90's Metallic Lambskin Mini Quilted Flap Gold Cross Body Bag This chic classic model, circa 1991-1994, is finely composed of luxuriously supple diamond quilted lambskin leather in metallic gold. The bag features a gold chain link shoulder strap and a gold Chanel CC turn lock...Category
1990s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- 2019 Louis Vuitton Brown Monogram Canvas & Leather Soft Trunk Messenger MMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Soft Trunk Messenger MM Serial Number: BA3149 Age (Circa): 2019 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel MAUVE QUILTED LAMBSKIN MINI FLAP BAGBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChanel MAUVE QUILTED LAMBSKIN MINI FLAP BAG CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with minimal signs of use. The interior is in excelle...Category
2010s Italian Structured Shoulder BagsFree Shipping
- Gucci GG Marmont Pink Embroidery Super Mini BagBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on insta @runwaycatalog This GG Marmont super mini bag is part of the GG Multicolour collection Pink diagonal matelassé GG canvas with flo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Valentino Vintage Purse with Beaded FringeBy ValentinoLocated in Carmel, CAValentino cross body or shoulder handbag with exquisite beaded and embroidered design and beaded fringe. Lined in silk. Magnetic closure. Measurements:...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Shoulder Bags
- Porcelain Plaque Ladies in a Garden Painting of China, 1970'S / 80s MarkedLocated in Amsterdam, Noord HollandPorcelain plaque in nice wooden frame, with characters ladies in a garden. 11-10-19-16-2. The plaque will be sent with track and trace, safely packed and insured. Additional informa...Category
20th Century Chinese PaintingsMaterials
- Mehraban Sangiovese, Nasim CollectionBy Mehraban RugsLocated in WEST HOLLYWOOD, CAEnjoy the fresh air with Nasim, rugs that work indoors and out. Rug Number 31435 Size 9' 1" X 12' 2" Design Sangiovese Collection Nasim Material Performance Fiber Texture Pile Weave...Category
2010s Indian Indian RugsMaterials
- Brass and painted metal floor lampBy LunelLocated in NANTES, FRGorgeous brass and painted metal floor lamp in the quality of Lunel productions. It has been rewired. The floor switch is in brass.Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- Mehraban Piquette, Nasim Collection Indoor Outdoor RugBy Mehraban RugsLocated in WEST HOLLYWOOD, CAEnjoy the fresh air with Nasim, rugs that work indoors and out. Rug Number 31422 Size 9' 0" X 12' 3" Design Piquette Collection Nasim Material Performance Fiber Texture Pile Weave O...Category
2010s Indian Indian RugsMaterials
- 19th Century French Hand Carved PedestalLocated in London, GBWe are proud to offer an unusual example of a hand carved late 19th Century carved pedestal. This is a highly decorative and unusual example because of its hand carved studded detail...Category
Antique 1880s French Victorian PedestalsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.