- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gucci Striped Monogram Vintage Handbag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Scottsdale, AZ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- Gucci 1970s Canvas & Leather Sun Print Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour new summer bag is giving us Fornasetti vibes! Take a step back in time with this super fun and funky messenger bag from the house of Gucci. The exterior features a canvas sun pr...Category
1980s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Gucci Python Tassel Crossbody BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis Gucci handbag is an iconic piece to the Gucci house! This features a beautiful neutral python leather that is accompanied by faint green, blue, and yellow coloring throughout. T...Category
Early 2000s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Chanel Vintage Brown Suede Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis suede Chanel is your new favorite collectors item! This bag will take you through your everyday as it has a roomy interior and can fit a wallet, keys, phone, and other small ite...Category
1980s French Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Reissue 2.55 Flap Bag Plaid Quilted TweedBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZYour favorite flannel pajamas but make it cozy Chanel! Their signature twist lock flap closure is featured on the front, monogrammed and with an embossed lock. The silver chain link...Category
2010s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Gianni Versace 1990s Baroque Print Satin Shoulder BagBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Scottsdale, AZElevate your looks with this beautiful Versace shoulder bag! Circa 1990s, this bag is made of gorgeous blue satin and features a multi-colored Baroque stye design. Includes gold hard...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Dior Lady Handbag Patch Embellished Black Leather Shoulder BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Scottsdale, AZThe most amazing Christian Dior to add to your handbag collection! This authentic Christian Dior Handbag is fully embellished in patchwork making it ultra-designed and interesting to...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford Pink Suede Dionysus Tiger Crossbody BagBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a shiny pink suede Gucci crossbody, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed primarily of pink suede but is finished with tan leather and gold hardware. Fo...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags$1,046 Sale Price25% Off
- GG Marmont Multicolour Super Mini BagBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on insta @runwaycatalog This GG Marmont super mini bag is part of the GG Multicolour collection Pink, red, green and yellow diagonal matelassé GG canvas Blue leather trim S...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Gucci GG Marmont Pink Embroidery Super Mini BagBy GucciLocated in Brossard, QCFollow us on insta @runwaycatalog This GG Marmont super mini bag is part of the GG Multicolour collection Pink diagonal matelassé GG canvas with floral appliqué Black leather trim Si...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Supreme GG Beige Coated Canvas Messenger Bag (211107)By GucciLocated in Montreal, QuebecThe bag features an exterior of durable GG Supreme coated canvas, leather trim and details, an adjustable canvas strap, top zip closure, brown woven fabric interior with slip pockets...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Kate Moss Burgundy Python Bamboo Crossbody Bag RunwayBy Gucci, Tom FordLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous burgundy python skin two-way Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. This beautiful bag in tan was first modeled by Kate Moss for the S/S 1996 Gucci runway,...Category
1990s Italian Hobo Bags
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Woven Brown Leather Hobo Bamboo Bag with StrapBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an intricately woven leather Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. This bag is constructed entirely of brown woven leather and is completed with a natural bamboo han...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$896 Sale Price25% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.