- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Judith Leiber Silver Metal and Crystal Floral Oblong Minaudière Evening Bag
- DimensionsHeight: 3 in. (7.62 cm)Width: 5.5 in. (13.97 cm)Depth: 1.5 in. (3.81 cm)Length: 22 in. (55.88 cm)
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Some of the stones have been replaced. A few stones might be missing, but since they are clear they are easy to replace. Missing tassel.
- Seller LocationMiami Beach, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU136918054461
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Miami Beach, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
When it comes to handbags, no designer can compete with Judith Leiber’s (1921–2018) ability to create magic using opulent crystals and wildly imaginative and playful shapes. The Hungarian-born designer made minaudières (small, decorative handbags, often without handles or a strap) in the form of crystal-covered swans, cupcakes, lipstick, wads of cash, teddy bears and other delightful objects. These dazzling objets d’art have been regularly seen in the hands of First Ladies, movie stars on the red carpet and even in the prestigious collections of institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Like many pathbreaking inventions in the history of design, Leiber’s minaudières were the result of a happy accident. In 1967, she began working on her first metal handbag. The piece in question was named the Chatelaine, and the design was a graceful drop-shaped purse in gold-tinted metal. But when the samples came in, Leiber saw that the bottom of the bag looked greenish and discolored as a result of the plating process. She had the ingenious idea of applying crystal rhinestones to the base to cover up the flaws. The dazzling bag was a huge success and would become her trademark.
Born Judith Peto in Budapest, Leiber overcame many hardships before her breakthrough. At the start of World War II, she was working at the Pessl handbag company in Budapest where she quickly climbed the ranks to become a master craftswoman. When the war escalated, she and her Jewish family were forced by the Nazis to live in a cellar of a ghetto, and several of her relatives were killed in concentration camps. “I designed handbags in my head to get through the misery,” she said. After the liberation of Budapest, she married Gerson “Gus” Leiber, an American GI, and moved to New York. In 1948, she began working for the fashion house Nettie Rosenstein. One of her first major pieces was the handbag embroidered with glittering rhinestones and pearls carried by Mamie Eisenhower at the 1953 inaugural ball. In 1963, she finally set up her own company.
Leiber’s whimsical designs embellished with Swarovski crystals and semiprecious stones defied traditional notions of luxury handbags. She also created striking clutches and bags with leather and fine textiles from around the world. In her 65-year career, she designed over 3,500 bags, which have been worn by First Ladies including Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush, pop icons like Beyoncé and Jennifer Lopez and celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Kris Jenner (who collects Leiber’s handbags). In 2005, the Leiber Collection Museum opened in East Hampton, New York, as a permanent space to showcase her work. The minaudières remain coveted objects celebrated worldwide for their eclectic beauty and glamorous charm.
The value of a good handbag cannot be overstated — find a collection of vintage Judith Leiber handbags and other fashion accessories today on 1stDibs.
- Judith Leiber White Crystal Gold Disco Ball Minaudières Evening Bag with TasselBy Judith LeiberLocated in Miami Beach, FLRARE Judith Leiber white crystal sphere minaudières shoulder bag in excellent vintage condition. White Swarovski crystal exterior trimmed with gold edges and clear crystals along top...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$2,080 Sale Price20% Off
- Judith Leiber Gold with White Crystal Box Minaudière Evening ClutchBy Judith LeiberLocated in Miami Beach, FLElegant Judith Leiber minaudière looks like a gift box or pillow with a Swarovski crystal ribbon. The bag features a press crystal lock closure with golden hardware, The shoulder s...Category
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$1,080 Sale Price20% Off
- Rare William De Lillo Jeweled Gilt Metal & Leather Evening BagBy William De LilloLocated in Miami Beach, FLA unique (one of a kind) evening bag by William de Lillo. The off white leather handbag is set within an ornate gilt metal and stone exterior bag. It is comprised of a large oval f...Category
Mid-20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières$4,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Italian Sterling Evening Bag Clutch By Marchi LeonelloLocated in Miami Beach, FLBeautifully made evening bag by Italian Marchi Leonello. He was a Firenze silversmith between 1965 and 1971. This sterling silver evening bag clutch is a wonderful example of the e...Category
1960s Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Whiting & Davis Figural Face Flower Frame Mesh Chainmail Gold Purse Evening BagBy Whiting & DavisLocated in Miami Beach, FLRare vintage Whiting & Davis Co. gold mesh chainmail purse with frame that features a centralized face among leaves and flowers. It has a gold chain that is approximately 15" from t...Category
Mid-20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Judith Leiber Perfume Bottle Keychain Key HolderBy Judith LeiberLocated in Miami Beach, FLJudith Leiber goldtone metal perfume keychain with a carnelian accent. Turn-lock closure. Marked: Judith Leiber. Chain: 4.75"L. Charm: 0.37"L x 0.5"W x 1.37"H. Age wear.Category
Late 20th Century Wallets and Small Accessories$132 Sale Price20% Off