Chanel Vintage Jumbo XL Maxi Flap Metallic Gold 1990s Lambskin Bag
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Jersey City, NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Chanel Vintage Black Pony Hair Coco Gold CC Turnlock East West Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJThis is an authentic CHANEL Pony Hair Coco East West Flap in black, the perfect collector's item. An envy-inducing piece of arm candy, this stylish ba...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage 1993 Hot Water Bottle Black Pink Lambskin Leather Gold BagBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJExtremely rare hot water bottle bag from Chanel Fall 1993 collection. A real gem for true collectors! Black quilted lambskin cover, in the shape of a ...Category
1990s Novelty Bags
- Iconic Chanel Vintage Fall 1994 Gold Metal Chain Black 94A Water Bottle HolderBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJAn extremely rare Chanel water bottle holder from the Fall 1994 collection. Must have for a real collector! This exceptional piece made of ...Category
1990s French Novelty Bags
- Chanel F/W2022 Black Lambskin Book Bow CC Logo AP2953 22B CardholderBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJChanel's Book cardholder, a standout from the Pre-Fall Winter 2022 Collection, mimics the appearance of a book and has become highly sought after, sold-out everywhere! The front is c...Category
2010s French Wallets
- Chanel Cruise 2020 Navy Blue Gold Chain 20C Bateau Cashmere Sweater DressBy ChanelLocated in Jersey City, NJ$5350 Navy blue cashmere dress from Chanel Cruise 2020 collection. This classy boat neck knit dress is adorned with gold chain cutouts on the cuffs ...Category
2010s Casual Dresses
- Gianni Versace Vintage F/W1994 Embossed Leather Rose Gold Metallic Mini SkirtBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Jersey City, NJA gorgeous croc-print embossed leather mini skirt designed by Gianni Versace for his Fall/Winter 1994 collection. This skirt debuted as part of look on Naomi Campbell and was promine...Category
1990s A-Line Skirts
- Hermes Vintage Ostrich Leather Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Oakland, CAA vintage Hermes bag in ostrich. Very rare in this material and style. The color is a tan/caramel. The bag is in good vintage condition. This is a...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Constance 18 Mini Rouge de Coeur w MirrorBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHERMES CONSTANCE BAG Size 18cm The mini size, the most popular size Rouge De Coeur Chevre Mysore leather Chevre leather, one of the most durable lea...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Constance 18 Mini Jaune Bourgeon Yellow Chèvre PalladiumBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHERMES CONSTANCE BAG Size 18cm The mini size, the most popular size Jaune Bourgeon Pretty new color A yellow with green undertones Because Chevre leather is one of the most durable leathers, it is highly sought after by collectors ABOUT THE CONSTANCE BAG: The Hermes Constance 18 handbag is a small luxury shoulder bag from the French fashion house, Hermes. It is named after the daughter of the company's founder, Hermes Dumas. The Constance bag is known for its sleek and sophisticated design, featuring a long shoulder strap and a signature "H" buckle closure. The Hermes Constance 18 handbag is smaller than the regular Constance bag, with dimensions of approximately 7.5 inches (length) x 6 inches (height) x 2.25 inches (depth). The Constance 18 is a highly sought-after bag due to its size, versatility, and timeless design. It is often seen on the arms of celebrities and fashion influencers, and its value has continued to increase over the years, making it a popular investment piece for collectors. Collection: U Hermes engraved on Hardware buckle H Palladium Hardware Brand new, never used Plastic on the Hardware Store fresh Comes ready for gift giving...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Kelly 20 Bag Nata Gris Meyer and Chai Tri Color HandbagBy HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLHermes Called the Mini Kelly 20cm This Kelly, in the Sellier style, is in Nata Gris Meyer and Chi epsom leather with palladium hardware and has tonal stitching, two straps with fron...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- CHANEL 22 Mini Handbag Barbie Purple Gold Hardware Pre Fall 23BBy ChanelLocated in Delray Beach, FLThe New Chanel 22 Mini Hobo style bag As seen on Celebrities all around the world including K2 Pop star JENNIE, an icon whose fame whips up crowds and stirs ...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Hermes Nata Mini Della Cavalleria Epsom Crossbody Bag 2023By HermèsLocated in Delray Beach, FLNewly Created Hermes Della Cavalleria Mini Bag Brand new, 2023 B stamp If you love the Constance bag you will love this one too Elegant and inspiring , with the sophistication of a h...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery