Gucci Camel Lambskin Leather Hobo Handbag
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Pancaldi Colour Blocked Suede Flap Shoulder BagBy PancaldiLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 80s Pancaldi colour blocked (red, blue. pink and yellow trim) suede flap shoulder bag. - Featuring a gold toned chain attached with the black suede shoulder strap. - Fl...Category
1980s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Pink Leather Jackie 1961 Hobo Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Gucci pink leather jackie 1961 hobo shoulder bag. You can also carry it like a handbag. - Silver-toned hardware. - Interior: 1 open pocket and 1 zipper pocket - Size: Length: ...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Desmo Dark Navy Pleated Wave Pattern Clutch/Shoulder BagLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Desmo dark navy light weight pleated wave pattern clutch/ shoulder bag. - Featuring silver and gold toned hardware outline that support the bag. - Gold toned buckle...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Silver Metallic Quilted Lambskin Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel silver metallic quilted lambskin shoulder bag from year 1996 to 1997. - Silver metallic lambskin with silver hardware “CHANEL” zip closure. - Silver hardware chai...Category
1990s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel 2.55 Chocolate Bar Green Colour Blocking Flap Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel 2.55 chocolate bar green colour blocking flap shoulder bag from year 1997 to 1999. - Silver hardware 2.55 turn-lock closure. - Interior zip closure. - Comes with authent...Category
1990s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel 16cm Silver Metallic Quilted Lambskin Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel silver metallic quilted lambskin shoulder bag from year 1996 to 1997. - Silver toned hardware “CHANEL” zip closure. - Silver toned hardware chain with silver metallic lam...Category
1990s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel 2014 Orange Patent Leather Mini Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Atlanta, GAChanel's 2014 Mini Single Flap Bag in vibrant orange quilted patent leather features a signature silver CC turnlock and a luxurious leather interior complete with pockets. SPECIFICS...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Hermès Mustard Clemence 35 cm Victoria II BagBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Mustard Clemence 35 cm Victoria II Bag is in excellent condition. The relaxed silhouette is roomy and soft to the hand in textured mustard yellow Clemence leat...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- MCM Signature Monogram Cogna Travel Leather Shoulder Bag MC-0829N-0005By MCMLocated in Downey, CAMCM Signature Monogram Cogna Travel Leather Shoulder Bag MC-0829N-0005 Beautiful large MCM, Modern Creation Munich Germany finest leather products founded in 1976 in Munich, Germany...Category
2010s German Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Epi Petit Noe Shoulder Bag LV-B0128P-0011By Louis VuittonLocated in Downey, CALouis Vuitton Epi Petit Noe Shoulder Bag LV-B0128P-0011 This Louis Vuitton Epi Leather Bag is made for anyone with impeccable taste. With ...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Courreges Beige Leather Logo Shoulder BagBy André CourrègesLocated in New York, NYCharming Courreges logo shoulder bag in beige leather circa 1970's. One outer pocket and one interior pocket. Practical size with faille lining great condition. 7.5" x 5." x 2". Sho...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Arizona Beige Monogram Empreinte Multi Pochette Accesoires 72lz825By Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: RFID Chip Made In: France Measurements: Length: 9.5" Width: 1.75" Height: 5.5" Shoulder Handle Drop: 10.5" and 19" Handle Drop: 12" OVERALL NEW CONDITIO...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.