- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Rare FENDI Limited Edition Spy Bag Hand-Embroidery Exotic Lizard Skin FW 2005
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. A true gem & rare find in wonderful condition. The original plastic sticker on metal plate is still intact.
- Seller Location:Switzerland, CH
- Reference Number:Seller: FENDSPBGLMTEDT05FWFLR1stDibs: LU416318173702
Like other major European luxury fashion houses, Fendi started small. Adele Casagrande was an Italian creative who loved fashion and sold leather and fur accessories from a tiny workshop she opened in Rome in 1918. However, after marrying Edoardo Fendi in 1925, her business model was altered dramatically. Together, the couple changed the boutique’s name to Fendi and moved into a bigger storefront, which quickly became the favorite shop of women all over Italy’s capital city for furs and leathers, such as handbags, coats and accessories.
As time moved on for Adele and Edoardo, the couple began to share more responsibility to their five daughters, who assumed management of the company during the 1950s. Fendi’s audience broadened and its profitability has soared over the years, owing to the brand’s fresh perspective on fashion world happenings and innovative sensibility. The maison also has a distinctive relationship with old-world Italian craftsmanship. The Selleria bags were the work of master saddlers in Rome, and Fendi partnered with lace artisans in southern Italy as well as craftsmen in the east trained in the intrecciato (intertwined) technique (an idea that Adele introduced during the 1940s), which, in Fendi’s case, sees an interwoven leather fabric integrated in the creation of its handbags, countering leather’s traditional rigidity with a bag that is soft, versatile and fitted with an alluring slouchy curve.
It wasn’t until 1965, however, when a young German designer named Karl Lagerfeld took the creative helm that Fendi became a world-renowned fashion house. In fact, Lagerfeld, who produced four to five collections yearly for the brand, is credited with creating Fendi’s instantly recognizable double-F logo (which stands for “Fun Furs”) in “less than five seconds.” Until Lagerfeld started designing for the brand, fur was a material mostly associated with heavy coats that few people actually wore. Lagerfeld reimagined fur in creative ways, using it as an accent on purses, cuffs on dress sleeves and collars on wool coats.
Over the ensuing years, Fendi has broken into the home-goods market with Fendi Casa and has become synonymous with luxury fashion, producing such pieces as the iconic Baguette, which was rendered ever popular on the television series Sex and the City. In fact, an entire episode during the third season was dedicated to the “original It bag,” a slim accessory tapered in a manner that recalls its namesake, designed in 1997 by Adele and Edoardo’s granddaughter Silvia Venturini Fendi, who was named creative director of accessories three years earlier.
Perhaps just as well known as its vintage Baguette handbags and creative use of fur is the brand’s devotion to its Italian roots. In 2013, Fendi donated more than 2 million euros to restore Rome’s Trevi Fountain, and when it was reopened to visitors, Fendi hosted its Autumn/Winter 2017 show on top of the landmark.
Fendi was a family-controlled brand until 1999 and is now owned by LVMH. In late 2020, British fashion designer Kim Jones was named the house’s artistic director for womens wear.
Find a wide variety of vintage Fendi handbags and purses, clothing and other accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- UNWORN Fendi Spy Bag Floral Hand-Embroidery Hand-Painted Black Crystals 2005By FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHThe Fendi Spy Bag is popular among celebrities like Bella Hadid, Rihanna, Paris and Nikki Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Gwen Stefani, SJP and many more. It has had its comeback in 2022. T...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- FENDI Limited Edition Squirrel Spy Bag Velvet Hand-Embroidery Crystals FW 2005By FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHThe Fendi Spy Bag is popular among celebrities like Bella Hadid, Rihanna, Paris and Nikki Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Gwen Stefani, SJP and many more. It has had its comeback in 2022. T...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 White Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate MossBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD SS 1996 GUCCI FUR BAG SEEN ON KATE MOSS FEATURED ON BOTH GUCCI'S RUNWAY SHOW SS 1996 AND IN GUCCI'S AD CAMPAIGN Very rare and exclusive GUCCI s...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,995 Sale Price33% Off
- RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 Black Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate MossBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD SS 1996 GUCCI FUR BAG SEEN ON KATE MOSS FEATURED ON BOTH GUCCI'S RUNWAY SHOW SS 1996 AND IN GUCCI'S AD CAMPAIGN Very rare and exclusive GUCCI s...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,199 Sale Price51% Off
- UNWORN Brown Gucci Ostrich Bamboo Detail Shoulder Bag - Full SetBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years Timeless classic - a true beauty! Very rare item - only very few pieces were made and sold in selected boutiques Made of rea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags$2,499 Sale Price34% Off
- RARE Louis Vuitton Exotic Alligator Ostrich Monogram Canvas Ombre Top Handle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Switzerland, CHAn extremely rare Louis Vuitton piece A works of art with an extremely limited run Ultra-rare bag crafted in exotic Bordeaux alligator skin, mustard colored snakeskin and light brow...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$7,500 Sale Price24% Off
- Very Large 1980s FENDI S.A.S. Diamond Embossed Burgundy Leather PurseBy FendiLocated in Tustin, CAVery Large 1980s FENDI S.A.S. Diamond Embossed burgundy russet tone Leather Purse Smartly stylish, extremely roomy estate Fendi purse is large enough to carry everything you may need...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$960 Sale Price20% Off
- Rare FENDI Flap Bag in Multi-Leathers and Silk VelvetBy FendiLocated in Paris, FRFendi flap bag, rare. It is made of multi-leathers and silk velvet: brown, havana, copper, set of silver metal palladium and lapis lazuli cabochons. Under the flap it is lined with ...Category
Early 2000s Shoulder Bags
- Gallenga Stenciled Evening BagBy Tirelli Gallenga for Fendi, Maria Monaci GallengaLocated in New York, NYEvening bag of sea green silk velvet stenciled in a copper gold floral and leaf pattern , braided silk cords with venitian style glass trade beads.<br /> 10" x 7" high<br /> Excell...Category
1980s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Fendi Peekaboo Bag Velvet with Leather Whipstitch RegularBy FendiLocated in NY, NYCondition: Very good. Odor in interior. Creasing and wear on exterior and strap, minor wear on leather trims and handle. Scuffs and small indentations in interior, scratches on hardw...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Tote Bags
- Fendi Multicolor Satin And Velvet B Bag Shoulder BagBy FendiLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2Get style and carry your essentials with ease using this shoulder bag by Fendi. It has been crafted from satin & velvet and features two oversized buckles at the front. The bag is sp...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- New Fendi Shearling Bronze Baguette Bag With Fendi Squirrel Purse CharmBy FendiLocated in Leesburg, VAFendi Shearling Chef Baguette Brand New * Shearling Lined & Shearling Accents * Foil Leather (Finished with a Film of Metal) * Fendi Gold Hardware * Detachable Fendi Dangle Charm * M...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- Fendi 2000s Embroidered Canvas BaguetteBy FendiLocated in Scottsdale, AZMake everyone jealous with this adorable Fendi! Circa early to mid 2000s, this burnt orange Fendi baguette features bohemian embroidery with silver toned hardware and a white painted...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Fendi Brown and White Leopard Print Calf Hair Large Shoulder Peekaboo Tote BagBy FendiLocated in Banner Elk, NCFendi Brown and White Leopard Print Calf Hair Large Shoulder Peekaboo Tote Bag. This iconic and highly desirable "peekaboo" bag by premiere fashion house Fendi was hand crafted in It...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Fendi Brown Suede and Patent Leather Gradient Color rhombus Large Peekaboo BagBy FendiLocated in Lugano, TicinoFendi Brown Suede and Patent Leather Gradient Color rhombus Large Peekaboo Bag, Limited Edition. - 100% authentic Fendi - Brown suede with patent leather - Single flat leather top ha...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags$2,433 Sale Price20% Off
- Fendi Dotcom Beige Leather Shoulder BagBy FendiLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITFendi Dotcom model handbag in mud-colored leather with silver hardware. The bag has two central openings with zip closure. The interior is lined with gray suede and is equipped with...Category
2010s Top Handle Bags
- Fendi Green Leather Ranway BagBy FendiLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITFendi signed bag, Runway model, made of military green smooth leather with python inserts and golden hardware. Equipped with a magnetic hook closure, internally lined in mud-colore...Category
2010s Structured Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Fendi Baguette Is an ‘It’ Bag Again, 25 Years After Its Introduction
Iconic Italian fashion houses Fendi and Versace teamed up on this delightfully outrageous Fendace reimagining.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery