- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gucci Italy Rare Midnight Blue Suede Amber Resin Lucite Handle Handbag c 1970s
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 10.75 in (27.31 cm)Width: 11 in (27.94 cm)
- Style:Mod 1970s (In the Style Of)
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Material Notes:The dark blue suede handbag is carried with a large scale amber color lucite handle attached with a series of metal rings to open or close the handbag. Paired with G.G. medallion is leather lined
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. The Gucci G.G. medallion has plating-rubbing wear on the gilt metal. There is some wear on the dark blue leather exterior & interior lining.
- Seller Location:University City, MO
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU73612475562
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: University City, MO
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Needlepoint Artisan Griffin & Laurels Hand Stitched Handbag c 1970Located in University City, MOElegant needlepoint artisan griffin & laurels vintage handbag c 1970 The chic retro needlepoint artisan handbag is decorated with an endearing griffin figure; surrounded with a wreath of laurels that is replicated on both exterior sides Illuminated against a contiguous black needlepoint...Category
1970s Unknown Novelty Bags$375 Sale Price21% Off
- Whimsical Quirky Wine Cork Wood Box Purse Handbag c 1980sLocated in University City, MOWhimsical wine cork wood box purse handbag c 1980s The quirky wood box purse is decorated with a collection of wine bottle corks on both exterior front &...Category
1980s Unknown Novelty Bags
- Roger Vivier Paris White Patent Leather Chrome Buckle Italian Handbag c 1990sBy Roger VivierLocated in University City, MORoger Vivier Paris white patent leather chrome buckle Italian handbag c 1990s The stylish handbag is designed with a pair of flap covered chrome buckle pockets on the front exterior/...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Emilio Pucci Mod Velvet Print Leather Trim Italian Handbag circa 21st cBy Emilio PucciLocated in University City, MOEmilio Pucci Mod velvet print leather trim Italian handbag circa 21st c The stylish Italian handbag is covered with bold geometric graphic designs in a myriad of colors; pale blue, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Exotic Peacock Plumage Bird Feather Structured Handbag circa 1970sLocated in University City, MOExotic peacock plumage bird feather structured handbag c 1970s The unique handbag is designed with bird feathers on both exterior sides with a peacock f...Category
Late 20th Century Unknown Novelty Bags$275 Sale Price21% Off
- Sleek Ebony Alligator Leather Vintage Handbag ca 1960Located in University City, MOSleek ebony vintage alligator leather handbag ca 1960s The stylish retro handbag is covered with glossy black alligator skin The handbag is designed with a sleek gilt metal clasp f...Category
1960s Unknown Top Handle Bags
- HERMES Cognac Brown Dalvy Ostrich Exotic Gold Top Handle Satchel Tote BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1998 Collection Ostrich Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 11.75" W x 9.75" H x 4.5" D Handle Drop 3.5" 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEW...Category
Late 20th Century Tote Bags$9,220 Sale Price20% Off
- LOUIS VUITTON Special Order Yellow Epi Gold Travel Cosmetic Jewelry Travel TrunkBy Louis VuittonLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition Epi Leather Gold Tone Hardware Woven Lining Measures 8.75" W x 3.75" H x 5.5" D Handle Drop 1" Includes Key 100% Authenticity Guaranteed by NEWFOUND LUXURYCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Suitcases and Trunks$5,300 Sale Price20% Off
- HERMES Kelly 35 Sellier Cognac Tan Brown Leather Gold Shoulder Top Handle BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1996 Collection Leather Leather Lining Gold Tone Hardware Measures 14.25" W x 10.25" H x 5" D Handle Drop 4" Shoulder Strap Drop Includes Clochette...Category
Late 20th Century Top Handle Bags$26,340 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- HERMES Kelly Lakis 35 Orange Swift Leather Palladium Handle Satchel Shoulder BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2012 Collection Swift Leather Palladium Hardware 14.25" W x 10.25" H x 5” D Handle Drop 3.5” Strap Drop 13” Includes Clochette, Padlock, Keys, Should...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags$45,540 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Hermès XL Herbag Sac a Dos 2-in-1 Shoulder Bag 91h328sBy HermèsLocated in Dix hills, NYHermès XL Herbag Sac a Dos 2-in-1 Shoulder Bag 91h328s Date Code/Serial Number: B in a Square Made In: France Measurements: Length: 20" Width: 10" Height: ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- Large Italian Straw & Bamboo Novelty Basket Handbag, 1950'sLocated in Atlanta, GAThis look would be right at home on the Riviera ... an amazing 1950's Italian straw handbag with bamboo handle and raffia decoration. The coral grasscloth body has a straw base and ...Category
1950s Italian Top Handle Bags$550 Sale Price35% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery