- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Gucci x Balenciaga GG Supreme Canvas The Hacker Project Small Hourglass
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- PRADA Yellow Saffiano Leather Galleria ToteBy PradaLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshirePRADA Yellow Saffiano Leather Galleria Tote Xupes Reference: CB844 Serial Number: 7/A Age (Circa): 2015 Accompanied By: Authenticity Card, Care Card, Shoulder Strap, Dust bag for St...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags$1,351Free Shipping
- Hermès ROUGE SELLIER SHINY ALLIGATOR VINTAGE KELLY 20CM SELLIERBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The hardware is in excellent condition...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$108,999Free Shipping
- CHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Medium Classic Top Handle Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Medium Classic Top Handle Flap Bag Serial Number: 24492803 Age (Circa): 2018 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Authenticity Card Authenticity Deta...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags$6,761Free Shipping
- LOUIS VUITTON Galet Taurillion Leather Capucines BBBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Galet Taurillion Leather Capucines BB Serial Number: MI 2145 Age (Circa): 2015 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenticity Details: Date Stamp ...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags$4,732Free Shipping
- CHANEL Pink Quilted Lambskin Vintage Small Top Handle Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Pink Quilted Lambskin Vintage Small Top Handle Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 30057364 Age (Circa): 2020 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box, Authenticity Card, Ribb...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- PRADA White Saffiano Leather Mini Galleria ToteBy PradaLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshirePRADA White Saffiano Leather Mini Galleria Tote Xupes Reference: CB840 Serial Number: 7/D Age (Circa): 2021 Accompanied By: Prada Dust Bag, Authenticity Card, Care Booklet, Shoulder...Category
2010s Italian Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$2,211Free Shipping
- GOYARD Limited Edition Structured Nano Bag in PinkBy GoyardLocated in London, GBGoyard Limited Edition Structured Nano Bag in Pink Calfskin Leather and wood Accompanied by: Box and dustbag Dimensions: 14.5 cm x 11.5 cm x 7 cmCategory
2010s European Top Handle BagsSold$10,758Free Shipping
- Vuitton Pink Rabbit Logo ScarfBy Louis VuittonLocated in West Hollywood, CALouis Vuitton pink rabbit scarf with red logo. Characteristic Vuitton interlaced closure. Super soft neck warmer.Category
21st Century and Contemporary European Scarves
- Burberry TB Flap Bag Woven Leather SmallBy BurberryLocated in NY, NYCondition: Great. Light scuffs, small marks and indentations on exterior, underneath flap and in interior, scratches on hardware. Accessories: Dust Bag, With Strap Measurements: Heig...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Crossbody Bags and Messenger BagsSold$1,505
- Vintage 1975 Ret Turner Couture for Diana Ross 'Disco Ball' Silver Sequin GownLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA breathtaking, museum quality Ret Turner couture gown custom made for the famous American icon, Diana Ross. Not only does this one-of-a-kind treasure come with official certificate ...Category
1970s American Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Ella Gafter Heart Shape Ruby Diamond NecklaceBy Ella GafterLocated in New York, NYThe heart shaped ruby and diamond necklace features 3 faceted rubies of homogeneously brilliant quality, especially cut from larger Madagascar rough to obtain the slight but symmetri...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Artist Choker NecklacesMaterials
White Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold, White Gold
- Gucci Bamboo Vintage 1947 Black Leather Large Top Handle Bag, 1980.By GucciLocated in Banner Elk, NCGucci Bamboo Vintage 1947 Black Leather Large Top Handle Bag, 1980. First introduced in the early 1940's, the Gucci bamboo bag came into production as materials around Europe became ...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Gucci Sylvie Mini Chain-embellished Alligator Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in London, GBGucci Sylvie Mini Chain-embellished Alligator Shoulder Bag - Alligator leather - Hallmark navy and red striped centre panel - Layered with a gold-tone metal chain and buckle plagues...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags$8,356 Sale Price20% Off
- Gucci Indy Babouska Leather Bag in Gold Metal Black w FringesBy GucciLocated in Milano, ITElegant and fashionable Gucci Babouska Indy black shoulder bag. Made of leather and golden metal details still with its never used fur. This Gucci issue has a top with two tassels wi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- GUCCI Red/Pink GG Supreme Coated Canvas and Leather Two-Way BagBy GucciLocated in Port Hope, ONThis bag is part of the Gucci Padlock Collection, and a great size. The bag features beautiful, coated canvas with gold hardware, and has both a top handle and a detachable shoulder ...Category
2010s European Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags$899 Sale Price25% Off
- Gucci Gold Metallic Bella Python HandbagBy GucciLocated in New York, NYProduct details: Gold metallic python and leather Bella handbag by Gucci. Dual top handles. Exterior front pocket. Zip closure at top. 14.5" length, 8" height, 4" depth, 6.5" handle ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags$756 Sale Price20% Off
- Gucci Top Handle Caramel Leather Bag with StrapBy GucciLocated in Austin, TXGucci small caramel leather bag with top handle and cross body removable strap. Bag is a little darker than shown. Condition: Very good. 8 w x 6 3/4" H ( w/o handle) x 3 1/4" D We...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery